What You Need to Know

Here's a massive Gilbert profile that credits the Wizznutzz for Agent Zero ("a moniker that was created and popularized by an internet sports blog site"). The Hornets haven't won when allowing 100 points, Brendan Haywood isn't looking over his shoulder at Etan (and Brendan continues to be part of the most effective 5-man-unit), Jarvis Hayes is feeling better, here's the full Gil "swag" dialogue (although uber-cool SLAMOnline is not impressed), Gil remains third in all-star voting and Ben Wallace strongly endorses Caron Butler's candidacy. Plus, the WNBA all-star game is coming back to D.C.!

Women's hoops: undefeated Maryland-Duke throwdown tomorrow, with both teams insanely dominant and national papers paying attention. Men: Local No. 1 Maryland needs to find its shooting touch, and Strawberry says they need to "step up and be men;" Local No. 5 UVA talks rebounding as Coach Dave Leitao swears live on the radio (also, Local Poll voter Darryl Slater has a really fine UVA blog); Local No. 10 George Mason destroys Towson and Gary Neal, getting two straight wins for the first time since March, and UMBC gets humbled.

Boz isn't happy with the way the Frank Robinson mess went down, Hal Bodley wants Frank Robinson to stay in baseball, and Nats320 has mixed feelings about this messy end. Plus, I already love Manny Acta: ("But none of their guys have three cojones. Everyone has the same two cojones.)

Here's a nice profile of George Mason's Fro Adu, Beckham's consumer-influence ranking is much higher than Freddy's, Kevin Payne says DCU has no plans for a Beckham-like splash, Bog commenter SEKim gets quoted in the WashTimes, and the DCU brain trust will search for more draft-day gems.

A rare off-night from Olie (which he freely acknowledges and attempts to explain) costs the Caps and might be a turning point for the very satisfied Blots (sic). Lindy Ruff says a Crosby-Ovie-Briere line will be "cool" and Briere says it will be "special," Steve Eminger successfully lobbies for an extra assist, and Glen Hanlon sees no reason for Lawrence Nycholat to return to Hershey. Plus, here's a look at Richmond's enforcer (in the SPHL)

BCS-conference teams don't want to play Navy any more, and the Mids are likely headed to San Diego for a bowl (seriously), the NFL Network ranks the '91 Skins 14th all-time, the Skins insist they're staying in FedEx Field for 20 more years despite yesterday's Marc Fisher column, and a columnist strongly endorses Monk 4 the Hall.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 12, 2007; 10:21 AM ET
Categories:  What You Need to Know
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Esky Weighs In on Becks
Next: Manny Acta, Meet Brian Davis

Comments

UMBC humbled? Isn't that an assumption that they were good in the first place?

Posted by: Ian | January 12, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin - Crosby - Briere?

Which one of these doesn't belong here?
Which one's not like the other?
Now it's time to play our game . . .

Posted by: FS | January 12, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I went to the Towson-GMU game last night. Mason was a lot better than I expected, which is probably the only thing I have in common with Jim Calhoun, thankfully. I foresee a reentry into the Top 10. Full recap of last night's game is at fitzfacts.com.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | January 12, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

The Maryland men would do better to "step up and be women." They'd have a better record.

Posted by: Everett W. | January 12, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

not sure if this has been linked to yet (so many links, so little time).

Ben Gordon blogs about the Wizards.

Posted by: g | January 12, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

FS,

To use Many Acta's terminology, one has cajones, and the other two do not.

Posted by: Kim | January 12, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Manny Acta? I don't know. He's already giving Nook Logan the CF job? And he wants to bat Guzman 2nd? That's just horrible. Church and Snelling need to get lots of AB's.

Posted by: Slim Charles Fan | January 12, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Dan- Back off. You're spending way too much time obsessing on me! I'm going to have to get a restraining order!

Posted by: Gilbert | January 12, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

What are the chances that we can discontinue these cutesy titles and funny hats? Bog? Cartoon hats? Does the Post have any dignity left at all? I refuse to renew my subscription until they reverse this decision to relinquish their journalistic credibility.

Posted by: DC | January 12, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Ok, you're right on UMBC (Ian), who would have thought Briere would be hated so (FS), nice work (Fitz), hah (Everett), thanks for the link (g), hah (Kim), but you must admit Manny will be entertaining (SCF), I'm not the only one obsessing on you (Gilbert), and the photo's on the way out but the Bog is here to stay (DC), sorry bout that.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | January 12, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Long live the BOG!

Posted by: Marc | January 12, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Fisher? Jeez I wish he'd sht up about soccer. He uses soccer solely for cheap shots and refuses, REFUSES to acknowledge that it is a truly DC institution, one that brings joy and happiness to many, poses no threats to any of his sports and lets be honest about the stadium here: it is a giveaway, but one that will get positive things done for ward 8, something nobody else has been able to do. Anybody wanna bet how long it would take the district on its own to fix it? I thought not.

Posted by: DCAustinite | January 12, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

The Takeover continues! Gilbert's the best combo guard in the league.
This is an excerpt from an ESPN.com article posted today by David Thorpe: "This summer I was working out some guys and I asked them, "Who is the toughest player to guard, off the dribble, in the league?"

Their answer surprised me: Gilbert Arenas.

Later I spoke to a video coach (who breaks down every play from every game and archives them) for a Western Conference team and asked him the same question. He said the same thing my players did.

With that in mind, and after studying Arenas this season, there is only one conclusion I can make: He is the best combo guard in the game today, and the benchmark that future combo guards will be measured against."

Posted by: John | January 12, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Way to go SEKim!

Posted by: DC Sports Chick | January 12, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

DC-

The Tortilla Chip is coming for you!!! Don't like the BOG then do us all a BOG favor and get out!!!

Posted by: WGDC- | January 12, 2007 11:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm late to this post, but I saw GMU- Towson also. Please, my friend, Mason already has a big enough target on it's back, top 10? I don't think so...I just hope against hope for top 65..ie NCAA's.

Speaking of which, Dan, is the 'Seeding the Field' thing in Sundays paper meant to be an early NCAA bracket pick? Where is(are) the CAA team(s)? Does your guy not know the Colonial has an automatic bid, and that the Colonial was the 8th rated conf. in the nation last year? I'm assuming an oversite? Or does he pick the CAA for the play in? Please pass him the koolaid pitcher if not.

Posted by: GMU Patriots fan | January 14, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Yeh--maybe you or Goff should pay Eric a visit and remind him that the CAA hasn't disappeared entirely this year!

Posted by: psyclone | January 14, 2007 10:19 PM | Report abuse

am i supposed to vote? or die? im all confused

Posted by: ed lee | January 15, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I found lots of intresting things here. Keep up the great work.

Posted by: Ca$hier | January 28, 2007 7:53 PM | Report abuse