What You Need to Know

A night of Local Poll triumph! In the premiere game, Local No. 4 VCU, which is trying to be the next Mason, rides the "Reggie Miller-like" B.A. Walker to down the last Mason, which struggled shooting the ball. With the win, Bob Lipper says VCU is officially "A Team to be Reckoned With."

Elsewhere, Local No. 2 Georgetown uses a strong second half in front of Gilbert Arenas and bunches of NBA scouts, Local No. 3 GW rallies over St. Joe's in a frantic second half to preserve the fourth-longest home winning streak in DI (and Phil Martelli talks Carl Elliott and NBA), Local No. 5 Terps regain their swagger thanks to all the doubters and to James Gist, whom Steve DeShazo says might be the key (although Ga. Tech fans say their team is terrible), J.R. Reynolds improves on his 40-point effort and Dave Leitao starts smashing clipboards as Local No. 6 UVA wins at N.C. State, Local No. 8 ODU rallies from 17 down in a very "weird" game to beat Local No. 11 W&M (which loses a player due to academics) (and the ODU beat writer is steamed at Joe Lunardi), Manhattan gets two free throws in the final seconds to top Local No. 9 Loyola, and Gary Neal gets 36 as Local No. 10 Towson pounds the eminently poundable Delaware. Among the unranked, AU backs up all the Bog talk and dispatches Navy, Richmond gets crushed at LaSalle, JMU's two-game roll ends at Northeastern, and Ronald Timus has been key for Morgan State a year after being kicked off the team. Also, Kristi Toliver is trying to be more of a leader for the Terps women, Maryland releases its football schedule as do Virginia and Va. Tech, Virginia loses a long snapper to academics (!) and UDC's athletics program is back from the brink of death.

Great story in which Gil and his people wonder why he's not getting more marketing opportunities. Gilbert tells PTI he did Tony Parker's French talk show and says 'Hibachi' in falsetto, DSong has his first full practice and discusses his health, Rick Snider says the Wiz "have a chance to rule this town," Antawn Jamison calls the team's play against Phoenix "horrible" and here are four second-half keys for the team. Plus, Ernie Grunfeld will do a WaPo chat at 2 today.

Frank Robinson will work as an ESPN analyst, MissChatter gets video of a Nats Caravan stop (and calls Manny "Manager Acta," love it), Ted Lerner gets one of his daughter's names wrong and explains his financially conservative approach that has bloggers so jaded, D.C. will have to spend more than $18 million to upgrade streets around the stadium, and Screech's Best Friend scores a long interview with the Nats' radio voices.

Ovie and Crosby are kind of quiet in the all-star game, and Dan Daly says Bill Parcells has passed Joe Gibbs on the greatness meter.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 25, 2007; 9:41 AM ET
Categories:  What You Need to Know
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Manny Acta Gets a New Jacket
Next: Kwame Brown: Always Ours

Comments

Hi Dave!

Fun fact: Wikepedia entry for hibachi includes a whole Gilbert discussion here.

I think the Hibachi people should definitely think about an endorsement deal for Gil.

Wikepedia notes the existence of a banner at a game that says that "Arenas 'hibachied' Kobe" and dutifully notes that Kobe can be a type of steak so this all makes sense. LOL. Sheesh -- signs held up for Gil at games are in Wikepedia.

Maybe Gil should be going for this "underground" internet buzz, the way some movies are marketed? Well, it's happening anyway!

Ta ta! See you all the Lakers 2/3 game. Anyone hungry?

Posted by: Nancy | January 25, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Hey bryc3 VCU winning means I do infact NOT have to paint myself green and gold and wear a sign at a Mason game. I stand by my assertion that they don't lose another game all season. On the flip side, JMU will not win another game all season.

Posted by: Marc | January 25, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

There's going to be an ESPN.com chat with Esky today at 2pm.

Posted by: John | January 25, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

It looks like Gilbert has realized the same thing that every other great basketball player in the area has learned. If you want good college basketball and both Maryland and Georgetown are available, go to Georgetown (http://www.dcsportsfan.com/default.aspx?ArticleID=1069).

Posted by: Hoya Fan | January 25, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

It also helps when they play in your arena.

Posted by: Harrison | January 25, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Hoya fan - you sure it wasn't just because tickets are easy to come by?

Posted by: tmc | January 25, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

If you're an empty seat and both Maryland and Georgetown are available, you also go to Georgetown.

Posted by: Everett W. | January 25, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

That little Ted Lerner story is outrageous. It's worth the brief read.

Posted by: AV | January 25, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Why do I even click on the Examiner links and read them?! The Snider article had an interesting premise, but was completely lacking in any sense of details. Basically, the Wiz lost to Phoenix - too bad, they could be a big deal. What?

Mostly I'm just pissed because he doesn't even bother to mention United (even with a diss) as being part of the DC sports landscape. I love how mainstream sports columnists pretend that 20,000+ fans don't exist, just because they're watching soccer. United will have as many butts in seats per game as the Nats this summer.

Posted by: Kev | January 25, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

First Ovechkin now Areneas. It seems like georgetown games are the prefered ticket for Local pros.

Posted by: Keszler | January 25, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Keszler,
That's probably because it is downtown, if the Hoyas were still playing at USAir Arena in Landover, their games among the local pros would probably be as popular as Maryland's.

Posted by: Chris | January 25, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Beating George Mason this year does not make VCU, or anyone, a team to be reckoned with.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | January 25, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Why won't UMd fans just shut the f--k up?

Before they were crowing about how their arena was always full and the Phone Booth was half empty. Now we have scouts and stars watching the Hoyas.

Seems to me that if Gil can pull up to his birthday party in a Lamborghini, it's just as easy to drive out to College Park. Besides, you can open up the engine and fly...But gues what? HE DIDN'T WANT TO GO WATCH THE PATHETIC TWERPS...NO ONE DOES!!!!

Posted by: Another Hoya Fan | January 25, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

It really is just that the insufferable inferiority complex gets old from Hoya fans (see, we're better because Gil stayed late at the place where he works and scouts were there). Honestly, I want both schools to do well, bury the hatchet and play each other every year (ideally in some kind of 2 day 4 team local tourney with GW and Mason also included).

Posted by: tmc | January 25, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

steinzz!
get those photos of giant abe at safeway up!

Posted by: jg | January 25, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

As a Local Poll voter, I find the conduct of "Another Hoya Fan" unbecoming. This will probably impact my vote. I mean, if he/she had said something ridiculous but amusing, it would be a positive bump. However, that was just ridiculous.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | January 25, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Marc, sorry for the late response. I've been out practicing my free throws all morning, because I have four years of eligibility left and I figure I can make the team on my game from the charity stripe alone.

I agree that VCU is a beast. Maybe it's just because they were hurting my feelings, but didn't they seem to play with a bit of a swagger last night? I've noticed teams bringing their A-game against Mason all season, but the Rams were the most extreme case yet. That's not a criticism by any means, in fact I like the confidence. Although I could do without Consor slurping Maynor all night. Jeez.

Posted by: bryc3 | January 25, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Bog fave and DC United alum, Esky is doing a chat on ESPN.com @2pm.

Posted by: Kim | January 25, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Do Hoya fans not realize that Gilbert practices at the Verizon Center???

Posted by: AV | January 25, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to follow the Nats lead and not spend any money on baseball this year. In fact, I think that's what all Nats fans should do. Hey, they set the agenda. And it clearly says: Don't spend money on baseball this year. I suppose I'll miss baseball this summer, but DC United is a winner. And they have roughly the same season. How can they expect me to do something they're clearly not willing to do themselves?

Posted by: Mike Perry | January 25, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

To add a little more celebrity cache, Calvin Booth has attended several Georgetown games this season. Big time.
Gilbert was around the arena during the first half of the game, so he must have got a ticket from someone to come out and watch the second half.

Posted by: Nick | January 25, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Who cares how you vote on the Local Poll? Who are the voters anyway? Just Steinberg's drinking buddies.

What they really know about basketball could fill a thimble on a rainy day.

Posted by: Another Hoya Fan | January 25, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

GO... A... U GO AU!

Back at .500, baby.

I think Jeff Jones gets a little crazier each game I see him on the sidelines.

Posted by: KC in DC | January 25, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I'll take Georgetown seriously when, like Maryland and GW, it can have BOTH men's and women's teams that regularly make the top 25 polls.

Posted by: Vincent | January 25, 2007 10:06 PM | Report abuse