What You Need to Know

Comcast leads with Md. women, then Va. Tech, then UVA, then Wiz. WTEM leads with Wiz, then Va. Tech, then UVA, than Md. women. I choose Wiz.

Antawn Jamison finishes his monster weekend with 34 against Boston in a game the Wiz took more seriously than Friday's game at Detroit. Tom Knott says Eddie Jordan's a pro, Caron seems confident in his Vegas chances (although Eddie won't be campaigning), Doc Rivers says the Wiz were tougher last night and then continues to rant for a while, and the Blazers talk about Gil's 50-point prediction, with Nate McMillan denying responsibility. Awesome. Oh, and Gil is big in the United Arab Emirates.

In front of the largest women's crowd in ACC history, UNC gets revenge over the Terps women, who struggled early and looked unlike themselves. Ivory Latta had a season-high 32 for UNC and said it wasn't about revenge, and Brenda Frese searches for perspective for the Terps, while the GW women win their 11th straight in a rout.

After Local No. 1 Va. Tech wins at Ga. Tech in ho-hum fashion, the Hokies are surprised to find themselves atop the ACC. And thanks to Jason Cain's mistake at Clemson, Local No. 6 UVA launches a comeback unlike any Dave Leitao has seen to get a second straight road win and shed their "bad road team" label. Local No. 4 VCU has gotten help from a new conditioning coach, who has helped their pressure D. Eric Hayes enjoys passing for Local No. 5 Maryland. Local No. 10 Towson nearly gets a huge win and now gets ready for JMU tonight, and Unranked UMBC wins at home.

(And if you were dead all weekend, Local No. 2 Georgetown dominated Cincy, Local No. 3 GW moved into first place in the A-10, VCU moved to 10-0 in the CAA, Local No. 7 Mason won at JMU, Local No. 8 ODU beat UNCW, Local No. 9 Loyola handed Iona its 21st straight loss, Local No. 11 W&M ended its five-game losing streak, previously ranked American won via methodical water torture, while previously ranked Navy fell into last place in the Patriot. Also, Darrell Green's son committed to UVA, and two Terps did well at the Senior Bowl.)

John Patterson says his arm is 100 percent, Mike O'Connor is happy not to be delivering packages, the RZA's high school coach is surprised by his MLB power, another columnist pokes fun at the Winter Caravan while Thom Loverro lets 'em have it again. Here's a massive Jim Bowden interview in which he says the Nats GM job is the best in baseball, while bloggers continue to quibble with an MLB.com writer.

Also, D.C. United opens training camp, which I might or might not attend, and Ovie and Crosby officially became the NHL's new royalty last week, whatever that means. Anyhow, here's an 80-foot Ovechkin.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 29, 2007; 9:34 AM ET
Categories:  What You Need to Know
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What You Need to Know
Next: Gilbert's Video Challenge

Comments

When is the next DC United night at a Caps game? (2/10 against the Rangers?)

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | January 29, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

That article on Ovechkin and Crosby is good stuff! I could seriously envision the two of them being the reason people check out hockey, and being some sort of two-man comedy troupe after they retire. Heh!

Posted by: Goat | January 29, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

did anyone else have a "Rza?? - from the Wu Tang Clan? he pitches?" moment while reading the end of this? ... ok, just me...

Posted by: kwamebrownsucks.com | January 29, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

How about J Dixon taking shots at Gil! Little bitterness there Juan? "I know he'll take enough shots to score 50" Ouch.

Posted by: Brian"The Brain"Billick | January 29, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you Kwame. I've been singing the following to myself since reading the bog, "The RZA, the GZA, Old Dirty Bastard, Inspecta Deck, Raekwon the Chef, U God, Ghostface Killah and the M E T H O D Man ..."

Posted by: tmc | January 29, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

So, what are the chances UVa passes UMd this week?

Posted by: dlc | January 29, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if this is obvious...but where is the caravan stop today at "Washington Nationals Team Store, Washington, DC"
Does this mean their downtown store?
Or the store at the stadium?
I tried calling both numbers on the website but just got machines.
Also, anyone know if Ryan Zimmerman will be at this stop??

Posted by: Michael | January 29, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Come on Dan, don't be a wuss. Goff sucked it up and went to United's practice. Don't let me down man!!

Posted by: DB | January 29, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Sports Bog, for affording American just about the maximum amount of coverage a Patriot League team one game over .500 can merit.

I thought you were making an arcane joke at the expense of American and its dozens of fans like me, but you were actually quoting the most bizarre description for a basketball game I've ever read.

Posted by: KC in DC | January 29, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Interesting article about Portland supposedly not fearing The Wrath of Gilbert.

"This guy has always tried to find reasons to motivate himself," McMillan said. "That's cool. I'm glad he recognizes who I was. It doesn't faze me. I guess he thinks Mike and I were on the committee that makes decisions there, but we weren't."

Ah, deny, deny, deny. There wasn't a committee, or if there was a committee, I wasn't on it. Or maybe we made recommendations but we weren't the actual committee that decides.

Nah, he's not scared. He's just going out of his way to blather on and on with forced non chalance about his non-role.

Posted by: Nancy | January 30, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse