Wilbon Pulling $8 Million?

Apologies if this is old news--maybe I've suppressed it--but Washingtonian says Wilbon's new deal with Disney was four years and just under $8 mil. Which is sort of in the same ballpark as what the typical Post sports blogger makes, in the same way that the Nats' payroll is sort of in the same ballpark as the Yankees' payroll. I mean, dude makes way more than many of the athletes he might cover, way way more than Manny Acta. That's awesome.

Washingtonian also reports that Wilbon offered to resign when he signed the new deal, but the offer was refused.

(Also, note to Washingtonian: Liz Clarke has an 'e' at the end of her name.)

(Also, note to Bog readers: Wilbon says again that he might start blogging, but if he does you're not allowed to abandon me for him.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 26, 2007; 9:51 AM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What You Need to Know
Next: Waiting for Chris Cooley at the Auto Show

Comments

"Les Carpenter on basketball? Liz Clark [sic] on NASCAR? Dave Sheinin on baseball? Mark Maske on the NFL?" Dan Steinberg on cheese curling?

Posted by: jhorstma | January 26, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

If he's pulling $8 mill but thinks you're the future of sports writing, you should be making serious bank in 2064.

Posted by: Harrison | January 26, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

yikes!

Posted by: littles | January 26, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry there is enough time in my 8 hour "work" day for you, Wilbon, KSK, Mr. Irrelevant, and Deadspin. Oh and to post on my own blog.

Posted by: Marc | January 26, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

You should be more concerned with Goff blogging smack. Before you know it, he's going to be throwing mangoes off of RFK.

Posted by: Kim | January 26, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I love that Wilbon offered to resign. He just seems like a classy dude. I'd love to watch a Wiz game with him, Ivan Carter, and Lang Whitaker from SLAM. Tom Knott, not so much.

Posted by: DD | January 26, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

What are the chances that he might pay for the next semester of college for Jack Kent Cooke's daughter?

Posted by: Rick | January 26, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm more likely to read a random blog on the NBA than anything written by Wilbon. While I respect him, I cannot stand his writing, and anything he chooses to write about. I haven't paid attention to him since I was in 5th grade.

Posted by: FS | January 26, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Honestly he has gotten better from 10 years ago. I used think he was too obsessed with race in sports and not enough about coverage. But it might of been his way to get to the top. Anyhow, he's much better now than he was a long time ago. He and the Tony have the redskins to thank for their success. If they were covering some other sport like soccer there is no way they end up where they are.

Posted by: good for wilbon! | January 26, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

i wish wilbon wasnt such an NBA fan cause i think he's wasting his talents on that garbage league. dude should be in the booth with tk stack money doing MNF with him and jaws. that would be worth 8 mil. and maybe have dan steinmonies work the sidelines!

Posted by: thigh master | January 26, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon deserves the cheese.

Posted by: Davey B. | January 26, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon hits the big time. Cheer up Steinz your on the same path and its only a matter of time before Versus offers you a huge four figure deal to do a debate show with some random former capital.

Posted by: Jake | January 26, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he'll sponsor your upcoming Vegas trip!!!

FS-You are a "dope"!