Wiseacre Kid Takes Video Camera Into NBA Locker Rooms, Asks Silly Questions

So if you haven't heard, this kid Elie Seckbach is becoming an Internet celebrity of sorts by taking his video camera up to NBA players and asking them silly questions. The above link describes him thus:

His style is unique, asking original questions other[s] never pose, dealing with much more than just basketball. Over the years Elie has developed great rapport with key players such as Shaq O'Neal, Chris Webber, Elton Brand, Kobe Bryant as well as boxing star Dmitry "Star of David" Salita. The players find his style very refreshing as he does his best to be entertaining, informative and original.

[Wait, Chris Webber is a "key player?"]

You can see that bloggers are highly pleased by all this. One of his latest offerings concerns 2006's movies. That one might not be a home run, but it's impossible not to be extremely, extremely fond of his previous work, including getting NBA players to sing Hanukkah songs with him. You really ought to watch this one.

Point being, I'm supposed to do a roundtable AIM discussion tonight, about Elie, with some of the FreeDarko guys and a McSweeney's editor, a lineup that has me slotted a solid fourth in cleverness. The subject: "How Elie Seckbach's antics affect the Jewish relationship to the NBA." Needing inspiration, I ask for... inspiration. Frankly, I can't currently think of a single thing to say on the subject, other than I guess I need to start making more videos, starting today.

(By the way, I'm wondering whether at some point, once every NBA reporter has a video camera and begins asking NBA stars for their thoughts on Thanksgiving meals and Hanukkah songs and phenomenal swag, it will be considered very vogue and cutting-edge for reporter/bloggers to ask NBA players how they feel about zone defenses and sixth men. And then everyone will start raving about Marc Stein.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 9, 2007; 10:14 AM ET
Categories:  NBA
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU News: Name an Owner
Next: Caps Have No Rookies

Comments

Hey Dan, it's been a while since we hooked up. So, what's going on? I thought we really had something good going, but now you seem to have completely forgotten about me. Remember when we used to wake up every morning and I'd be the first thing on your mind? You'd populate me with link after link after link, and I'd be there for all your readers to use as they pleased. I didn't mind. In fact, I was happy to do it. God, those were great times. I miss you. I just needed you to know that.
-WYNK

Posted by: What You Need to Know | January 9, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

The "Jewish relationship to the NBA"? What does that mean? Purim parties at the Verizon Center?

In college, I had a friend who was self-proclaimed president of the Harris Barton Fan Club, because he claimed that Barton (a 49ers lineman) was the only Jew in the NFL. None of us could be bothered with confirming or refuting his claim.

Posted by: JT | January 9, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Dear WYNK,

The joke wasn't that funny the first time, you didn't need to post it twice. k thx.

Posted by: Harrison | January 9, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

How does Elie Seckbach's antics have anything to do with David Stern and the ball fiasco of 2006?

Posted by: Kim | January 9, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

What does Elie Seckbach's antics have to do with Stern and the ball fiasco of 2006? Or is there some sort of connection? Is Elie to blame for the player backlash?

Posted by: Kim | January 9, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

One day soon newspapers won't even have a staff. They'll just license out space on their servers and host ads and do all the back-end work and bloggers will become the reporters for a percentage of the ad revenue. Basically this will lead to two types of reporting. hardcore real stuff that actual fans will want to put up and fluff that will be more entertaining.

The jewish relationship can only grow as more young jews watch ellie and want to be like him. Stern has his sights set on the untapped jew market.. which is only slightly smaller then the untapped Christian market. Which are both increasingly larger then the hip-hop market and say it with me now.. propensity to spend on entertainment and are the demo that advertisers are looking for.

Posted by: Marc | January 9, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

There is no connection between paragraph 1 and paragraph 2 in the above. I just crammed two separate thoughts into one comment box.

Posted by: Marc | January 9, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

As a station-identification Jew, I'm always looking for a kinsman to follow in each of the major sports...while pickings are slim, at least there are options in baseball (Shawn Green) and football (barely...Jay Fiedler). NBA? No such luck, with Doron Sheffer and Yotam Halperin having failed to make the league, and a tatooed-Jordan Farmer feels like a reach.

So it doesn't take much to win my fandom...and thanks to Elie Seckbach's Hannukah report, I've learned that Ricky Davis is, if not a believer, at least a supporter. "Keep those candles torched," he tells us. Amazing! (Is there an NBA player you'd less expect to know about Hannukah than Davis? Maybe Nate Robinson or Bonzi Wells). Forget the menorah...it's my heart that's been warmed.

Posted by: DD | January 9, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Dan, I think you will score huge points if you bring up Tamir Goodman, the "Jewish Jordan."

Posted by: Matt C | January 9, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

OH MAN ... we definitely need to see more of this kid ... I think CSN may be looking for a new NBA beat reporter ...

Posted by: litlles | January 9, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

This guy is doing a poor man's Borat, without all the offensive anti-semitism. I agree with the Tamir Goodman comment. What's up with the Jewish Jordan? And I echo one of your other readers. I want more Mike Wise. That guy's adventures are hilarious.

Posted by: Ira | January 9, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

one of freedarko's own played a key role in goodman's rise and wrote about it here.

Posted by: shoals | January 9, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

link didn't work, here's the literal version:

Posted by: shoals | January 9, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Is David Stern Jewish?

Posted by: Rob Iola | January 9, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I can't underscore how brilliant that FreeDarko article on Tamir Goodman is--where did the author spend his playground days balling, Park School? Seems more likely he spent his time in English class rather than the court...well-worth it. A great piece of writing.

But much like the Tamir acolytes circa 1999, let's not get carried away on the significance of one game. I'll give the author credit--to tear up our hero, a "slow-moving two guard," in a holiday tournament was a seminal moment in the Jewish Jordan's 15 minutes. But Tamir was already getting press and attention well before--the Baltimore Sun had run a huge story on him, and the University of Maryland recruiter who soon offered him a scholarship had followed him for six months. The author's also concerned that the hype obscured Tamir's weaknesses, like his jump shot, but the coaches recruiting him would've identified the deficiencies. So while I enjoyed the FreeDarko ride, the story's conclusion that Tamir's rise-and-downfall "stemmed from that one game"...like the exodus, it was foretold to happen.

Posted by: DD | January 9, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

"some of the FreeDarko guys and a McSweeney's editor, a lineup that has me slotted a solid fourth in cleverness."

Yeah, you're screwed.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 9, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

• Who is Elie Seckbach? Right now, he's about the most entertaining NBA reporter out there. After all, who else could get Seattle's Chris Wilcox to admit he'd dump his wife for Oprah or Dorrell Wright to sing Hava Neglia?

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/andy_gray/01/08/wish.list/1.html

Posted by: check out what si.com says | January 12, 2007 12:02 AM | Report abuse

with leather ---

Posted by: another elie video | January 12, 2007 12:04 AM | Report abuse

elie seckbach is too funny! lamo

Posted by: jack | January 12, 2007 9:02 AM | Report abuse

"Who is Elie Seckbach? Right now, he's about the most entertaining NBA reporter out there." From SI.COM

Posted by: Beno Levin | January 13, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse