Wizards-Sun Celebrity Sightings

In no particular order, Clinton Portis, Jason Campbell, Derrick Dockery, Carlos Rogers (unconfirmed), Stan Kasten, Jim Bowden, Manny Acta, Doreen Gentzler (unconfirmed), GW men's basketball assistant Roland Houston, former GW walk on Dior Toney, Jack Evans, Anthony Williams, Screech's Best Friend, and, a legit celebrity, original Destiny's Child member LeToya Luckett, who got all bashful when she was shown on the 'Tron.

A-list media persons included David Aldridge, David DuPree, Stephen A. Smith, Tony Kornheiser, Michael Wilbon, Mike Wise and George Solomon (yeah, the Post had four columnists there, what of it), and George Michael, working the locker room. In fact, I recorded his conversation with Gilbert for posterity, assuming somehow that blogs have more posterity than television.

George: You did not expect this tonight.

Gilbert: You know, no one expects someone to come out on fire like that.

George: I mean, no matter what you did it didn't work.

Gilbert: Yeah, that was the frustrating part. You know, we tried everything. We tried to trap 'em, we tried [unclear], we tried to switch and they just took advantage of everything, and when they took advantage they actually made everything, so it was, it was hard. They beat us bad in the first half, and we felt we played decent ball in the second.

George: Gilbert, understand this. Everybody that follows the Bullets/Wizards always expects things to go wrong. Tell me that that's not the mindset of this team, that this is just a nothing game, another game.

Gilbert: Well, you know, truthfully we thought we were still gonna win, you know, because with like six or seven minutes left we were down 14. You know, after being down 30 we were down 14, and you can see everybody's pumped up, the crowd's pumped up, we're pumped up, and two fast-break layups just killed our spirits. And you know, from there we just kept fighting, and I thought we played a much better game in the second half.

George: The first half, how does it get away so fast? [First question mark I've used in this transcript-ed.]

Gilbert: With a team that wants to just push it, they push it and they hit shots. You know, it's hard when Steve Nash is 5 for 5, Jones is 4 for 4 from the three, Raja Bell's 2 for 2, Amare has two dunks, two free throws....

George: You see all those shots, don't you?

Gilbert: You see it. It's like [curses, as George dissolves into a sort of laughter], we can't, we can't do anything with this. You know, we try to trap, they pass it they shoot it. Ok, we [unclear], they slip it to Amare, he dunks. Ok, now we trap Amare, they swing it, you know, Jones hits a three. It's like, 'ok, listen, alright, I don't know what we're going to do here but we need to figure something out quick.' You know, because everything...we try to zone 'em, they hit shots, they got offensive rebounds. They played a perfect game that first half.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 24, 2007; 11:01 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gil Speaks of Nekkidnism
Next: Raja Bell's Fave Veggie Burger, Boris Diaw's Fave Cheese

Comments

Oh yeah, totally forgot about the Bowtie Killer, he was sitting like fifteen feet from me.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 24, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I think I saw Lindsay Czarniak at halftime down on the floor. Does she count as a local celebrity, or was she just doing her job?

Posted by: Duke Frankencow | January 24, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I SAW PHIL CHENIER!!!

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 24, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Where was Portis sitting? I saw Campbell and Dock, but not CP.

Posted by: Dave N. | January 24, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I saw Clinton outside of the Johnnie Walker Bar at halftime. I gave him some love for his shoes.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 24, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I wished I had seen Portis, but I sat by Dock and JC and got to tell him how badly I wanted him to resign with the Skins. JC had a steady stream of fans coming up to him throughout the second half.

Posted by: Dave N. | January 24, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

CP was sitting behind the basket on the Suns' side. He and his date left early. He started to get a little rowdy on his way out, and security began to hassle him until they realized who it was. They then proceeded to shake his hand and slap him on the back.

Posted by: Duke Frankencow | January 24, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

James Brown was sitting right next to Wilbon behind the basket.

Posted by: TG | January 24, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

...at which point Wilbon exclaimed, "G-G-G-G-GHOOOOOST!"

Oh...THAT James Brown

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 24, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Unsilent Majority is a bigger A-list media person than any of the aforementioned.

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | January 24, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Says Dana Jacobsen's boy toy.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 24, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Dior counts as a celebrity? What doest that word even mean anymore?

Posted by: eclecticunderground | January 24, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Nik Caner-Medley was sitting in my section last night. His ears are much bigger in person than on TV.

Posted by: Markus V | January 24, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Stephen A. Smith made an appearance in the media section.

Posted by: Lord Rock | January 24, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Stan Kasten AND Doreen Gentzler AND a former member of Destiny's Child??? ***Swoon*** I had no idea D.C. was so glamorous!

Did Blair from the "Facts of Life" make an appearance?

Posted by: Captain Caveman | January 24, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

In regards to Mr. Mottram's comment, Dave N.--who went from not knowing who I was to posting on my blog like five times today--was FAR more excited about the possibility of meeting Unsilent than he was about Jason Campbell. Seriously, he was giddy with excitement about the possibility of meeting the genius that is Unsilent. And he was just some random guy in the stands. Am I right?

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | January 24, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I'd be more excited to meet Campbell's girlfriend then him or Unsilent or Mr. Irrelevant.

Posted by: Marc | January 24, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm betting that if Dave N. hung out at the Johnnie Walker bar holding a pair of the green Gil Zeroes, and Unsilent would magically appear.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | January 24, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

no mutombo, no celebrities

Posted by: CreditZard | January 24, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Bill, you have no idea how right you are.

Caveman...don't you have work to do?

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 24, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I didn't recognize Dan without the hat.

Of course I wanted to meet UM, I have nothing better to do at my job than read his comments on deadspin or ksk.

Posted by: Dave N. | January 24, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Dave N. is a really weird name for a sexy 21 year-old woman.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 24, 2007 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I saw The Tortilla Chip and I saw Unsilent Majority chatting with Feldman!!!

Posted by: WGDC- | January 25, 2007 3:04 AM | Report abuse