Another DeShawn Shooting Competition!!!!!!!

But I can't write about it. Sorry. Embargo.

I can say this: DeShawn Stevenson won a shooting contest today against an out-of-town non-basketball playing professional.

"It happens to the best of us," DeShawn consoled his foe when it was over.

(DeShawn's victory celebration today also included him yelling "chicken and grits, grits and chicken," and asking for his victory to be put in the paper, which, of course, is not feasible just yet.)

("Everyone wants to shoot against DeShawn now," Brendan Haywood declared when he heard about this latest contest. "They think they can get an easy win.")

Anyhow, the fallen foe then asked for a rematch.

"I don't do rematches," DeShawn said.

This, however, went against his previously stated goal to have another three-point contest with Gil. I asked DeShawn whether Gil would grant a rematch.

Not a huge assortment of DeShawn photos out there. (By Jonathan Daniel - Getty Images)

"Oh he has to," DeShawn said. "He cheated me."

Like everyone else, DeShawn and Gilbert have been watching their three-point shooting contest on YouTube. DeShawn said he's only seen it twice; my sources indicate that Gil has watched it many more times than that.

"He called me as soon as he got home and told me to watch it," DeShawn said. "You know, when you watch it on YouTube it looks even more crazier than doing it out there."

I asked him whether he's heard from friends about the performance.

"I've heard from everybody, everybody's been hitting me: my family, people I used to play with," he said. "I'm doing a thing tomorrow on Cold Pizza about it. It's been kind of crazy."

(The Cold Pizza segment is scheduled for 11:15 AM tomorrow; check local listings. And you have to give wizardsdotcom major credit for being the trigger finger behind this whole phenomenon, although you'll note that he's only too happy to take such credit.)

As for his victory today, DeShawn said it didn't make up for his earlier loss.

"That's peons," DeShawn said of his vanquished foe. "He's not on my level."

One final note: world famous Post columnist Gene Weingarten was at practice today. When he introduced himself to Wizards PR whiz Zack Bolno, Zack asked him if he was the Gene who writes The Post's fantasy football column. This struck me as mind-blowingly hilarious.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 6, 2007; 4:47 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Send Me Your Blogs (With a Mason Rant)
Next: The Key to Blatche's Breakout

Comments

Hmm, as an early adapter of team gossip (one will recall I was impatient for that first three-point contest video, which has become quite a hit, thus proving that I am at the perfect level of average-to-dim-witted intelligence for this bog), I am interested but not that interested. Probably we'll learn more tomorrow at 11:15,

Posted by: Nancy | February 6, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jp | February 6, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

If Gene was at practice, I'm guessing the mystery opponent was Dave Barry or one of Gene's other loser friends. It sounds like the opponent was a writer -- why else would there be an embargo? So, we'll end up reading about it sometime, right Dan?

Posted by: Fred | February 6, 2007 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Was DeShawn's opponent the Great Zucchini?

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | February 6, 2007 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Sounds safer than a Jayson Williams shooting competition.

Posted by: Kim | February 6, 2007 8:11 PM | Report abuse

"Not interested in the Stephenson nor Mason shooting. Not impressed. Please write on something more time worth thanks."

Wow, for the sheer rudeness and weirdness of that comment -- I mean who BOTHERS to write that they're bored by a post? -- c'mon, how much energy does it take to just scroll past it?!! -- I hereby declare myself very interested.

Mea culpa. Probably was a stupid first post which ruined the thread's karma. Sorry.

Posted by: Nancy | February 6, 2007 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey jp-you interested in spelling lessons?

STEVENSON!!!

Posted by: WGDC- | February 7, 2007 1:52 AM | Report abuse

J.P.,

Shouldn't you have been at Dan's talk yesterday? You would be perfect for print journalism...we now have spellcheck!

Posted by: Dave | February 7, 2007 3:43 AM | Report abuse

y'all crazy... i love the d-shawn shootng stuff. my guess is the out of towner is a wheelchair player.

Posted by: Kareem | February 7, 2007 8:44 AM | Report abuse

So he wasn't shooting against Gene Wang?

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | February 7, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Berg - thanks for the shout-out. BTW, if you come out to the game tonight, could you pat my back a little? My arms are starting to get sore...

Posted by: WizDotCom | February 7, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

When does this embargo get lifted? Do I have to file a WTO complaint?

Posted by: Lindemann | February 7, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow - Dan Steinberg and Gene Weingarten in one place. Isn't that like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters?

Posted by: Knoxville Curler | February 7, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse