Calling All Bloggers, Again

The D.C. blog happy hours are coming fast and furious: Caps on Sunday, D.C. United on Wednesday, plus another catch-all event Wednesday night.

I was supposed to be more organized about inviting people to this, but I wasn't, so lemme just say now: if you're a local sports blogger, you should come to Rhino in Georgetown at 7 p.m. Wednesday night, to celebrate being part of the sports blogging mecca. Local Poll voter Marc Gallant of Needs More Meat is in. Information Leafblower is in. Bog friend MDT of the Daily Sports Haiku is in. Some 289 person is in. We're hoping for at least one member of the Kissing Suzy Kolber apparatus. Nigel from the Tony Kornheiser show is in, so hopefully I can buy him enough drinks to get Tony to cancel the vendetta. Also, Mister Irrelevant and I will be screening candidates for the TV show, sort of, although no casting couch.

Wednesday, 7 pm, Rhino. Information Leafblower made a flyer. All are invited.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 20, 2007; 8:04 PM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Are You There Sam? It's Me, Blogger
Next: What You Need to Know

Comments

Considering Rhino is about 4 blocks from my apartment, I might have to stop by and pay respect to Nigel and the Bogfather even though I'm not a local sports blogger.

Posted by: Nick | February 20, 2007 8:33 PM | Report abuse

A chance to see DC's sports bloggers gather, and it has to be scheduled for the exact same time as the GU-Cincy game? Oh well, Rhino is a Cuse bar anyway, as well as an affiliate of both Penn State and Ohio State. Anyway to get money out of gullible fans, I guess.

Posted by: Paul Campbell | February 20, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

bring girls

Posted by: littles | February 20, 2007 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Not only is Rhino a 'Cuse, Penn State and Ohio State bar, but it's also a douchebag bar (bloggers excluded).

Posted by: Chris Mottram | February 20, 2007 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Hmm.. sounds right up my alley ;-)

Posted by: misschatter | February 20, 2007 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Great idea, but scheduling your first blogger event at the same time as a Capitals game, and a home game to boot? Lame.

Posted by: OrderedChaos | February 20, 2007 10:42 PM | Report abuse

you are gonna meet people you met over the internet? isnt that still socially unacceptable? OMG I HAVE TWO LEGS AND TWO ARMS.

since im not cool enough to be within drinking distance of DC, i'll be drinking at oneills irish pub in charlottesville tomorrow. GO HOOS.

Posted by: Ed Lee | February 20, 2007 10:51 PM | Report abuse

So they have a dress code at the Rhino Bar, right? It'll be a sad scene when they have to turn away all those dorks who show up in their underwear(to borrow a phrase)...can I at least get away with sweatpants at this thing?

Posted by: The Nationals Enquirer | February 20, 2007 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Ed Lee, O'neils? Everyone who is anyone (or on Mr Tony's short list to kill) knows that nothing beats rails at Buddhist's on a Wed night.

However, in their favor, ONeil's does have money chicken fingers...

Posted by: J. Jones | February 20, 2007 11:22 PM | Report abuse

dress code?????

Posted by: littles | February 20, 2007 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Chris, it's really only a douchebag bar when the Eagles are playing. Stupid Philly fans invading Gtown.

Looks like it's just going to be two members of the KSK mafia tomorrow.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | February 21, 2007 12:16 AM | Report abuse

OMG does JEFF JONES former UVA head coach and current american head coach love buddhist biker bar?

i used to like goin there, but now that im older and more mature (i dont pick my nose no more), i dont like hanging out with all the undergrads. so dollar yeunglings on wed nite at oneills.

Posted by: Ed Lee | February 21, 2007 8:11 AM | Report abuse

So if your blog is really seedy and hasn't been updated for more than two months but you peruse (read: obsess over) everything from The Big Lead and With Leather to KSK and the Bog during the working hours (sometimes more), is it recommended you stay at home and wait to hear about the result of this kind of event? Because ya know, if not, then I'll be there. WIth girls, littles.

Posted by: smperk | February 21, 2007 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I liked Rhino's when it was Winston's. That place is crap now.

Posted by: Chris | February 21, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

As long as there's a decent TV showing MD-FSU at 9, I'll be there from at least 7-11.

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | February 21, 2007 9:13 AM | Report abuse

i'm assuming by a sports blog you mean: have a visible, tangibly interwebbed page, and not a more metaphysical sports blog in my head. right, i'll stay home.

Posted by: CreditZard | February 21, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm more of a Sports Blog commenter then a real blogger. But I'm definitely in. 289 is my hero for Photoshop work.

Posted by: Marc | February 21, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Are there going to be ice sculptures there, ala Gilbert's bash?

Posted by: Blackaces | February 21, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm only a sports blogger if the Amazing Race qualifies as a sport. No, huh?

Posted by: Everett W. | February 21, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

whose smart idea was it to schedule blog happy hours during *Lent*? It puts me in a bind: do I avoid the happy hour because I've given up drinking, or do I go to happy hour and not drink, and view that as my Lenten act of self-denial for the day?

Steinbog, I read the Bog for Gilbertological insight, not theological challenges!

Posted by: ouij | February 21, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, what OrderedChaos said. Hello, Caps home game! Unless you want to exclude Caps bloggers...

Posted by: DC Sports Chick | February 21, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to any fans/bloggers whose teams/tv shows are playing at the same time as this event tonight. Others proposed the time and I agreed. It'd be tough to find a day on which no local teams were playing; we wouldn't want to get the AU fans angry by having the happy hour this Friday night, during the home finale (I think). Anyhow, there is enough beer in this town to schedule another event in the future.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | February 21, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Won't the Caps/Hoyas/whoever game be on TV? So, really, we're excluding those who are Caps/Hoyas ticketholders and those who're observing Lent, right? And is Lent even something to be observed? I'm gentile and still have no idea.

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | February 21, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ouij | February 21, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait until everybody sees just how frighteningly socially awkward I am.

Posted by: MDT | February 21, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I'll be at the Caps game. Although Buddists and O'Neil's both sound pretty money right now. My old housemates used to always drag me to the Biltmore. Ugh.

Posted by: FS | February 21, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I'll take one for the team and be there representing the Caps bloggers.

(note to self: call wife to TiVo game)

Posted by: Gustafsson | February 21, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I remember the Biltmore when it was K.L. Christies.... talk about ugh.

Posted by: Gustafsson | February 21, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

if the first one is a suck-sess, send me down via acela for the next one

Posted by: thigh master | February 21, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, you'll plan another one when I don't have to work at the GW game.

Posted by: Ryan | February 21, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse