Caron Butler's Dap, on the Black Hand Side

In a continuing effort to satisfy your every whim, here's your Caron Butler Hand Slapping update. You'll recall that someone either posted a comment or e-mailed me to ask why Caron Butler slaps the back of his teammates' hands instead of the front. Actually, if it was an e-mail, you probably don't recall it.

Anyhow, here's the answer:

"It's old school," Caron said, when I asked. "You know, watching 'Shaft' and 'Willie Dynamite' and all them brothers back in the day. You know, it's something cool just to give skinnnnn--that's what they call it--on the black-hand side....I make everybody do it. When I give people dap coming out of the warm-ups, I give everybody dap on the black-hand side."

To continue the 1970s movie references, let's recall a 1973 flick titled "Five on the Black Hand Side," which I've never seen, and whose tagline was "You've been coffy-tized, blacula-rized and super-flied - but now you're gonna be glorified, unified and filled-with-pride... when you see 'Five on the Black Hand Side'."

That movie, the New York Times tells us, "eschews exploitation for humanity and domestic drama" at a time "when most black-oriented films were bloody action fests." TCM calls it a "comedic response to the violent 'blaxploitation' films of the the early 1970s." If you're looking for an NBA connection, the movie was based on a play written by Charlie Russell, a playwright who was Bill's brother, which I guess is something I should know but didn't.

Anyhow, if Comcast is going to do a trailer for an "Agent Zero" movie, which they have, I think the stage, so to speak, is set for Comcast to do a trailer for a "Tuff Juice" movie, since Caron obviously has something for the movies of the early 1970s. Comcast, are you listening? Here's the "Agent Zero" trailer.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 5, 2007; 12:51 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gil and DeShawn: Still Friends
Next: Art Monk Internet Reaction: Sad

Comments

I think Caron's full of it, at least subconsciously. Years back, people would slap five, etc. with their palms. Then all these news stories came out in recent years about germs, and especially the germs that people pick up and carry on their fingers and palms. Is it a coincidence that all the new ways to slap five in recent years (the fist bump, the back-hand slap, the jumping up to chest-bump or shoulder-bump, etc.) involve no palm-to-palm touching? I think not.

Posted by: Sean | February 5, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Sean. Hmmm. Hard to picture NBA players as germaphobes. They're more the locker room type.

I know for a fact that Caron's willing to be flexible. When he came out to sign autographs for Wiz fans about a month ago, we greeted him with a chant of "All Star." He went down the signature line with his hand out and low -- which I frankly thought was totally cool -- but the palm was facing forward. So he cut me, qua clueless white person, a break on that, I gues.

We like news about Caron! Thanks Dan. Peanut gallery applauds.

I have extra Caron posters -- like 4 -- from yesterday's game. To reward Agent Stein for satisfying our every whim, I'd be happy to distribute to the first 4 of your readers that want them. So, readers of this great bog, if you want one, simply be on of the first four to dare to leave your email on this blissful bog today (and I'll email you and get your address -- 'cause I'm not leaving my email publicly qua girl and hater of junk email -- but I won't email you until later tonight 'cause first I gotta go to the game). They are cool posters -- includes that shot of CB3 jumping up on the press table after the game winning shot at that Knicks game.

Unlike Dan, I can certify that these don't have grease marks or footprints -- I simply took some from the leftover pile at the Concierge desk at the Club Level. (Last time I do club: great barbecue, but fans are way too quiet for me. The fans there never stand up!)

Posted by: Nancy | February 5, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I'll totally take one Nancy. dgackey (AT) gmail (DOT) com.

Thanks!

Posted by: Gack | February 5, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I would love one Nancy! Thanks very much for the gesture.

jon (DOT) skladany (AT) gmail (DOT) com

Posted by: Ghitza | February 5, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I would love one! Thanks Nancy.

ricandersdon (at) ceousa (dot) org

Posted by: that guy | February 5, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

thanks i'm down for a poster! email buyaka0126@yahoo.com. appreciate it nancy.

Posted by: orley james | February 5, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

OK, I've emailed your four, so you have my email address. Now just email back your snail mail and I'll put them in the mail.

***ATTENTION: I've got my four recipients, so no more posters***

Most sincerely,

A Cheap Imitator of the Generosity of Agent Stein, Our Beloved Leader

Posted by: Nancy | February 5, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I put 3 of the posters in the mail (or will first thing tomorrow). James Orley, I don't have your mailing address yet. Sent you an email to the email address you gave asking for it: perhaps check your SPAM to see if it's been re-directed there.

Posted by: Nancy | February 5, 2007 10:29 PM | Report abuse

if mr. orley doesn't respond, can i please be number four?

ma hog honey (at) ya hoo (dot) com

Posted by: honey | February 6, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Sean,

Folks have been giving five on the black hand side for years. It has always been a part of my 35 years. It ain't nothin' new.

Posted by: DaBlkHand | February 6, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse