Gil Charges Teammates to Come to Super Bowl Party

Wow, Gil's blog, out of control. As previously noted, this blog is really just a phone interview conducted by, I believe, an NBA.com staffer. So really it's like an exclusive online only once-a-week interview. But no matter. Today's is an all-time great. Just go read it yourself. But if you'd rather have an edited version, here are the highlights:

(Oh, any Italian speakers want to translate this Italian blog about Gilbert? Is the man pictured the Italian version of Lang Whitaker?)

1) When he heard he made the all-star team, he woke up his daughter so they could dance, and she was laughing, although really she was crying, "but I considered it laughing."

2) He also called his dad. "All I did was call him and hit him with a quick, 'Haha, I'm a starter,' and clicked off." This reminds me of when Gil calls his cell phone and fills up the voice mail by saying "It's me." "This is Gilbert." "It's me." "It's Gilbert." That might be my favorite Arenas story ever.

3) Re: his new mouthguard: "I couldn't even hear myself. I'm over there slurring and spitting and I was like, 'Man, how do guards do this? How can anybody understand them?'"

4) He crushed Roger Mason in a three-point shooting contest. He made him look like a high schooler. He even shot some one-handed. Then he told Roger he needs to take 10,000 more shots for practice. Even though everyone on the team was betting on Mason. "And they all got bar-bee-quuuuuuuuuuuuuuuueeeedd, ye-yeah!"

5) Gil doesn't watch football, but he decided to hold a Super Bowl party, and he told his teammates that "they can come in for the low, low price of $14.99!"

I mean, no, we do not get sick of this. Why would we get sick of this? NBA action might be fantastic, but there aren't many NBA games on during the afternoon, and if instead of shuffling paper we can read about Gil charging his teammates $14.9 to come to his house for a Super Bowl party, why wouldn't we?

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 1, 2007; 4:14 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Where to Watch Cricket in D.C.
Next: Devon McTavish Philosophizes

Comments

Yeah, I lapped up that blog. It's a great read. Everyone, please read!

Regarding the daughter, when he says "he considered it laughing," I really think that's just poor word choice. He means it actually was laughing after a while, but she was grumpy at being worken up. That's the translation, I think. Substitute "actually" for "considered" and I think that's the meaning.

I like the point that "When you do so much on a team, people don't recognize it anymore. They want to see you fall. So the whole team was betting with him."

Aw, that's sad, unless the intonation was jovial and included self-awareness that he was being convivially teased by his teammates. Hard to tell.

Posted by: Nancy | February 1, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I love Gil but after this year, he's no longer going to be able to pull the underdog card ever again. He's officially a superstar. My proof? My parents bought me an Arenas gold jersey for Christmas. Too bad it's been two months, and it's still on back-order.

Posted by: Ian | February 1, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

OK, chances are you're going to kill be, but Alta Vista's babel fish translation of the text makes it clear that it's about the vendetta thing:

ummer 2006: the national American is preparing itself for ___ in Japan. From the group of the candidates to____ USA Team he comes ___ the name of Gilbert Arenas, officially to the taken ones with a physical trouble even if in little appreciate truth to the staff technical. It did not arouse controversy because the player is a the lively character little adapted itself to the discipline of trainer Mike Krzyzewski, because in little they thought that the former Dream Team found obstacles in the race to the gold. As it went to end, with Spain on the higher step of ___ and ___ Greece on the United States in semis, if they remember it all. But above all if he remembers it Gilbert Arenas who considered the exclusion ____ and that without need to tie a handkerchief to the finger he has decided to be revenged of the staff technical. The first victim has been Mike D' Antoni, one of the vice ones in national of coach K, than when she has faced Arenas with its Phoenix Suns she has looked at herself to crop the beauty of 54 points. Arenas, a type that wears number 0 in order to remember to all how many minutes he predicted he would play in college in Arizona, now looks to 11 February when it faces the Portland Trail Blazers of ___ McMillan, other vice ones of the national one: "I will make 50 points" has declared and the bookmaker not if they feel it to quote the contrary hypothesis knowing the determination of Arenas. But "Agent Zero" is one that does not forget and in top to the list of the enemies it holds fixed the name of Mike Krzyzewski, historian coach of the Duke University: "___ to a career year - Arenas has written on its blog - in order to return to the college and to face Duke. Forty minuteren, with soft rings of the basket I would mark 84 or 85 points. Never the ball, I would not think to us not even. It would be like a video game when you make to always pull the same person ". The year Arenas excluded by surprise from the All Star Game, but then coming found again in order to replace a injured person, this rivincita year instead the large one: it will be, with to Dwyane Wade, holder in the East after to have old Carter of 3010 ballots Wins although two weeks ago it was in disadvantage very 200,000 preferences regarding the star of the Nets. "the dreams become truth - the words of Gilbert - to prescind from that people say. It must alone work hard and the things happen, I of are the living test ".

So much for babel fish.

Posted by: Nancy | February 1, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Detroit fans are just angry because they have a coach who doesn't command any semblance of respect, a lunatic in Rasheed Wallace, a guy who can't move anymore in Webber, a guard who won't shut up in Rip Hamilton, and a point guard who they found out is actually a little overrated in Chauncey Billups (yeah I said it). Plus we just beat 'em twice in a week. So they have to take it out on Gilbert and DC.

Posted by: AV | February 1, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

"I stopped at 82 and walked out of the gym. So I won that bet, but we wasn't betting for money (wink, wink)."

Ahhh, *now* we know why Roger Mason doesn't have pocket change for threads.

Posted by: Nancy | February 1, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

man, Nancy... them some graphs right there.

Posted by: Ian | February 1, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

the Italian stuff isn't anything we don't already know.
For those who can't be arsed to parse through the alta vista stuff it just tells the olympic story, how he's going to score 85 against duke, how he got his number.

it also talks about how he was nearly left off the all star team last year and how he surged in front of Vince Carter this year.

Posted by: Steven | February 1, 2007 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Since you are saving your $$$ for Vegas...guess you won't be going to Agent Zero's S.Bowl party?ha!

Posted by: WGDC- | February 1, 2007 11:31 PM | Report abuse

82 out of how many????

Posted by: pete | February 2, 2007 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Steven. I agree. I'm now working on translating Ian's "them some graphs right there." (Hee hee. Nah, I get it.)

Posted by: Nancy | February 2, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Pete, he just stopped when he hit the 82nd. It was a best of 100 and once he passed Roger he didn't feel the need to finish.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | February 2, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse