Gilbert and the Wizznutzz Hit the Wall Street Journal

David Roth has a story about Gilbert in today's Wall Street Journal Online. So Gil hit Time and the WSJ in the same day. Dude's keeping me here way too late on a Friday. Anyhow, I don't have the subscription-free link. Here's the basic point:

"Even though he's an All-Star in the middle of a career season, his rapidly rising profile has less to do with his on-court brilliance than his off-court appeal....Mr. Arenas, besides being voted an NBA All-Star starter for the first time...has become the unofficial favorite player of the hoops blogosphere. It's not even close, in fact."

Then Gil is compared to the "recognizably human hoops superstars of the '70s and '80s," and Lang Whitaker and the Wizznutzz and "the Washington Post's popular (!) D.C. Sports Bog" are name-checked. Also, Roth argues that "Hibachi" can be used equally well as noun, adjective and verb, which I'm fine with.

I'm impressed that the Wizznutzz have now made the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and Washington City Paper within about two months, but I guess I won't be truly blown away until they land in Le Monde.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 9, 2007; 5:11 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caron and Gilbert on the Blazers Game
Next: Eleven Things You Didn't Know About the GW Women

Comments

the WSJ! wow, i'm glad i invested in Bog futures last week.

Posted by: jamie | February 9, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Jamie, why invest in futures? Why not go for an unrgulated over-the-counter financial derivative. How about a friendly $20,000 bet on how bigtime Dan is by this time next year? Why I bet all the artisan cheese in DC (this is obviously a trick) that the hat schtick will be televised by some time next year.

The trick is how to get money for his great ideas and writing, more than the Post is likely to pay. Maybe he should be making regular Bog posters collect discarded game posters after the game and bring them to his office, where he can sell them on ebay.

Speaking of freebies, any bets on which remaining home game will be the one where Arenas might give out jerseys?

Posted by: Nancy | February 10, 2007 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Nancy, have you not been to Cowgirl Creamery yet? There are at least a respectable number of pounds of artisan cheese in DC these days (if not, you know, literal tons). That's not even counting what you could get at the Whole Foodses on P St, Tenleytown, and Glover Park...

BTW, the Journal is right that Gil's the blog-o-favorite right now, but it is also true (see Detroit Bad Boys for an example) that backlash (or at least fatigue) is not only possible, but probably inevitable, in a lot of non-DC locations.

Posted by: Josh | February 10, 2007 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Link to read the article without subscription: http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB117103789687403777-fubhJB_n8JIWRi17oYF0A5ARDCY_20070311.html?mod=tff_article

Posted by: GeeWiz | February 10, 2007 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Glad to be mentioned here, I'm sorry I didn't notice it earlier. There was a lot more Wizznutzz in the director's cut of this than in the version that went to print (including a direct link to the Mothering Hut, which I was hoping to parlay into a Ghitza 77 t-shirt), but I'm glad GeeWiz managed to get the free link up there. To reiterate, it's:

I hope you enjoy the piece, if you take the time to read it, and you can check in on me, but mostly on Gerard Cosloy, at www.cantstopthebleeding.com. It's his site, but I show up for regular, game-management intensive blog stints. I'm like CSTB's Roger Mason, Jr., if that makes any sense.

Posted by: David Roth | February 13, 2007 12:50 AM | Report abuse