Gilbert on Vids

(Gosh, I feel terrible about the people I might be turning off b/c of too much Wizards coverage. It's sorta like when I was at the Olympics, and all I blogged about was curling. This phase will pass, I promise. Bear with me.)

Gil's newest jersey. (By Sports Bog)

(But seriously, when you get an e-mail from a Lisbon-based Portuguese newspaper writer who's working on a Gilbert feature story for that newspaper's Sunday magazine, as I just did, you have to press on.)

(And check it out, the Lakers are copying the Wizards and holding funny shooting competitions. Those crazy guys. And I link to that not because of the kind words for the Bog, but because of the suggestion (which I endorse) that D.C. is the mecca of sports blogging, which is why if I ever got put on a television show of any kind, I would try to wrangle a weekly segment featuring local bloggers.)

Anyhow, a friend just sent me to IGN's Web site to check out another video game story about Gilbert. I should have known that Gilbertology would have been there first, and he was.

Needless to say, the story has at least one legit laugh-out loud moment, which I will hereby steal. Gil is talking about the kids he sponsors from Final Boss.

"If you measure from one through ten, I'm a negative seven against them," says Arenas, who also adds "if you see these kids play - I never realized how good you have to be. You actually have to have a special talent - to see things and hear things. They can hear things you can't hear on a videogame - you'd be surprised. They can hear little things that make them that much better."

This has nothing to do with this item. Just a weird thing I saw in a back hallway last night. Don't know whose shoes these were. (By Sports Bog)

Like puppies. Incredible. The other highlights: Gil says video game stars are smarter than NBA stars, his first favorite game was Super Mario Bros., and he got six PS3's the first day they were available.

(Gilbertology also found YouTube of all the Adidas Vegas shoe collections, which I would highly recommend to all you shoe freaks. I'll just include one below, but there are more.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 8, 2007; 11:33 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Restaurant Options
Next: Signing Day Coverage (by the names)

Comments

DC really is the mecca of sports blogging. Other cities need to realize this.

Posted by: Marc | February 8, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Dan - Surely you're not going to leave us hanging all day on the crucial "ask Tony Parker about cheese" interview...?

Posted by: Josh | February 8, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

there was some nice blog crossover last night between LaCa and Goff. how come you don't ever get any of the Insiders commenting over here?

Posted by: jamie | February 8, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I never asked Tony. My bad. Foiled again.

I don't know, maybe the other Insiders hate me. I know I've posted on LaCa's blog and Ivan tha Terrible's blog, but only in self-promotional ways. Maybe that's why. Goff posted here once.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | February 8, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Um, you can never do too much about curling.

Basketball, yes...but curling, no.

Posted by: CapsChick | February 8, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

DC = Sports Blogging Mecca

And that came from a dude from Detroit! I love it.

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | February 8, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

If we're Mecca is Jamie Allah?

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | February 8, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Walton's miked-up for LA's video. That's so derivative. That's so staged.

From the Lakers link, here's something so true that I -- although obviously a woman of few words -- feel obliged to dump onto this bog. 'Cause it's like so true, and maybe we all forget how spoiled we are:

"As every NBA fan has had hammered into his or her head this season, the Wizards are a fun-loving bunch of crazy guys ... but I have a hunch part of the reason they've earned that rep league-wide is not only because Gilbert Arenas walks to a different beat but also because of the top-notch -- and all-access -- coverage they've been getting from Washington's media, with Dan Steinberg and his excellent DC Sports Bog at the forefront. It's refreshing (and highly entertaining) to see a member of the "mainstream media" leave the walled garden of his particular publication and not only recognize but actively interact with fans, readers and the blogosphere."

Now, with that lovely shout-out Agent Stein, as well as Ian and Micahel, perhaps WashPost will let us at least use italics and blockquotes in our posts to that we are further empowered in this participatory experiment.

Posted by: Nancy | February 8, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Dan, don't worry about turning readers off to the amazing Bog. The only people you are probably turning away are Caps fans - all 12 of them.

Ah, let the angry Cap fans begin their attacks...

Posted by: AV | February 8, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapCrazy | February 8, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, because winning championships is why we love the team...

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | February 8, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

No worries on missing the cheese opportunity. I imagine the players may not be as interested in cheese as we are, anyway. And it ought to be blog gold to ask French players about pretty much anything at all, right?

Well, maybe not. Maybe you could try asking them the Pivot questions?

Posted by: Josh | February 8, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

its only a grinding of a halt if those western teams play on the eastern side during the playoffs...so thanks for the vote of confidence, finals!

Posted by: CreditZard | February 8, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

"Thats fine, the Wizards bandwagon will come to a grinding halt soon enough. Once Gilbert and company realize they have no chance at beating an elite western conf team."

The point of the post is apparently to say that the Wizards season won't end well. It is posted by a Caps fan "CapsCrazy."

Wow, that takes chutzpah!!

Now that I've tossed the ball up there, anyone want to bother to dunk it?

Posted by: Nancy | February 8, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse