GW: Better at Beer Pong Than Georgetown

So says Local Poll voter Clay Travis, who has authored some groundbreaking beer pong analysis for CBS Sportsline, whose standards for sports journalism are apparently as low as The Post's, or at least, as Washingtonpost.com's.

And so anyhow, when trying to convince everybody that they're better than Georgetown, GW students will no longer have to start with the women's basketball team (which, yes, I realize is having a fabulous season, and which I plan to write about very soon, possibly as soon as tomorrow).

GW students Ben Morrissey and Aaron Heffner, who I believe do not play for the Local No. 6th-ranked Colonials, conducted a sort of panel discussion with Clay on the issue. The crucial passages follow, which will ensure that HoyaFanatic and his ilk will now hate ClayNation just as much as they hate the Local Atlantic 11 Poll:

ClayNation: Why do you think GW students are such better beer pong players than Georgetown students?

Morrissey: I mostly attribute this to the fact that we are normal people. It's true, maybe half of our school was rejected by Georgetown ... but the reasons for their rejection stem from the fact that they had lives in high school and that they weren't from some family legacy that has resulted in a guy being named Ashley or a girl named Torrence.

Here at George Washington, we are every bit as intelligent (well ... most of us) as our counterparts at Georgetown. While our goals are every bit as lofty and we will be every bit as successful, we've also been taught to enjoy the finer things in life, like a game of beer pong ... so that's the answer. Also, I think another part of why we are so much better has to due with them apparently, "sucking."

Heffner: First of all, I'm glad that this is common knowledge. But I think the reason is that Georgetown just doesn't recruit as heavily as GW does when it comes to drinking sports. I heard their women's varsity flip cup team just got beaten by American 38-2, and their quarters squad had to forfeit the rest of the season due to injuries and a lack of players. GW students just know what's up when it comes to competitive drinking. And everything else for that matter.

Which really just goes to show you, it's good for your school to send grads to important Web sites so they can write important items like this about the school that drives them absolutely nuts for reasons that are sort of unclear to the rest of the world.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 7, 2007; 5:01 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: HoF Voters Explain Their Monk Votes
Next: Local Hoops Poll Week Nine: Additional Pithy Comments

Comments

maryland beer pong team slays all else, whereever, whenever boyos ...

we're ready

Posted by: littles | February 7, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

The depths to which GW students will go to emotionally rebound from their Georgetown rejections continues to know no bounds. Good luck with the self-esteem, boys!

Posted by: Cain | February 7, 2007 6:16 PM | Report abuse

There are two things JMU is known for.

1. Super Hot Chicks
2. Dominating the state of Virginia in All beer drinking games not involving cards.

Why no cards? Cause card games are for suckers.

Posted by: Marc | February 7, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

For accuracy's sake, we'll need to substitute Richmond for JMU, unless you consider cattle to be a "super hot chick."

And Richmond doesn't discriminate. We're not afraid to put down the ping-pong balls and rock a deck of cards too.

Marc, nothing wrong with a little inter-VA collegiate banter... just so long as things remain honest. We wouldn't want all those aspiring high school journalists to get the wrong idea about the local schools they may be considering. =)

Posted by: Arachnid | February 7, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

As a veteran Hoya Beirut player, I initially felt a duty to defend my alma mater. Nevertheless, I don't really want to fan the flames of GW-GU hatred. Living in Foggy Bottom, they're literally and figuratively beneath us. Actually, I have nothing bad to say about GW and I have no idea how good they are at any drinking games (the only time I've ever been to their "campus" is to go bowling, but now there are lanes in Chinatown). These gentlemen display some refreshing honesty ("half of our school was rejected by Georgetown") Nevertheless, a few thoughts:

- It's Beirut, not Beer Pong, there are no paddles. That's like calling "Fetch" "Tennis" cause you use the same ball in the park with your bulldog.

- Lots of Georgetown people are from countries where Beirut is unheard of, illegal, or the capital city.

- Georgetown people are ambitious and busy, we don't have time for Beirut practice.

- I personally have practiced Beirut with no beer, by myself, in the middle of the day.

- I have played multiple games of Century Beirut (a hundred cups and a case on each side) and World Series of Beirut (seven game series).

- If you haven't played Beirut on the rooftops of Village A overlooking the Potomac, the Kennedy Center, the Lincoln memorial, and literally thousands of cans of Natty Lite, then you've never really played. The tradition, the history, the drunken brawls... it's the Fenway Park of Beirut.

- My housemates won a school-wide Beirut tournament, making them the only decorated Beirut players of whom I have heard.

- Many Georgetown people are rational and functioning alcoholics (i.e. we like to get drunk quickly between internships, jobs, and classes), and everyone knows the better you are at drinking games, the soberer you stay.

I just wanted to get a few things off my chest, but now I'm missing the (#22) GU basketball game on ESPN the Uno, so... Hoya Saxa!

Posted by: danj | February 7, 2007 7:14 PM | Report abuse

"It's Beirut, not Beer Pong, there are no paddles. That's like calling "Fetch" "Tennis" cause you use the same ball in the park with your bulldog."

So, how then is the capital city of Lebanon a better fitting name?

Posted by: deano | February 7, 2007 8:16 PM | Report abuse

As a GW student, I can say that I only know a few people here who are very good at pong (myself, of course included), although everyone says they are. The Philly kids tend to perform well, as do some kids from Massachusetts. Connecticut players suck and New Yorkers are mixed because there are so many. The few Marylanders here (myself, of course, included) are dominant forces.

Anyone who would like to challenge my roommate and me to a 7 or 9 game series, let me know.

Posted by: Andrew Alberg | February 7, 2007 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Its impossible for people down here to be so good at Beer Pong. The weather is too nice and you have other distractions. I'd put my money on any school in upstate New York where it is cloudy rainy and 40 degrees from October thru April. Where there are no mountains to go skiing and no cities to take part in other activites.

City + Decent weather = Bottom quartile of Beer Pong population. Its a fact

If you guys want to battle it out amongst yourselves for the automatic bid to the big dance, carry on.

Oh and any game invlolving more than 10 cups is just stupid (I'd even say six cups). You just end up drinking warm flat beer.

This reminds me. I have to buy Beerfest on DVD

Posted by: Dave B | February 7, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

forget an NCAA pool for poll voters, let's do a beer pong tournament, divided up by alma maters/allegiances. i'll join Marc on the JMU team and we'll bury all comers.

Posted by: jamie | February 7, 2007 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say Beirut was a fitting name, it just isn't incorrect. I don't know what "Cricket" has to do with chirping insects, but I know it would be wrong to call "Cricket" "Baseball."

Oh, and though there are four people on a side in century 'rut, yes, the beer gets warm and flat towards the end, but if you win you don't have to drink it and when it's Busch Light it doesn't really matter.

Also, I didn't mean to brag about GU Beirut, I didn't, say, put up a post about how we're better than anyone at the game, I just wanted to point out that we've played a round or two as well.

Posted by: danj | February 8, 2007 12:02 AM | Report abuse

I think I'm cooler than all you guys! Yeah! Come on down to my stellar party clubbing gigs and I'll slot you a few drink vouchers!

Posted by: Ashwin Advani | February 8, 2007 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Flip Cup is a far superior game because

A) It's much faster

which leads to...

B) Much more drinking (as in DRINKING game)

and

C) Many many more people getting involved. We Hoyas happen to like the social aspect of drinking.

True beer pong has only been mastered at Dartmouth.

Off to monitor my trust fund...

Posted by: Ashley from GU | February 8, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to reserve my final comments for after more people post...but can we all agree to verbally attack the guy who said that Georgetown's game is "Flip Cup"? I can only hope he was drunk when he decided to come out and declare that game as your official drinking game. That's just degrading, humiliating and frankly sort of like bragging to your Georgetown classmates that you read at a "6th grade level". I'm not sure I need to even voice an opinion about this whole argument anymore...

Posted by: benmorrissey | February 8, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, flip cup can be fun, but it shouldnt be THE game. It gets the girls involved.

My favorite is speed quarters, of which I know at least 3 different versions, all different.

The best is a two v. two game I refer to as pound. It takes a little while to know all the nuances and etiquettes because it is such a fast game.

There is nothing like the sound of constant quarters' pinging.

If you are really going to commit a night to beer and your stomach blowing up, Anchorman can be fun.

Posted by: Dave B | February 8, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

GU still holds the Hosebag bragging rights. Grade A hosebags over there.

Posted by: Tank | February 8, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Hosebags? Seriously? That is just embarassing, you can't be GW, because that is even below their level of ineptitude, that sounds more like a Catholic U. type insult.

Posted by: Chris | February 8, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"I don't really care who's better at Beirut, because at Georgetown we play Flip Cup.
Flip Cup is a far superior game because"

Wow - that is all I can say about that really.

Posted by: Flip Cup Sucks | February 8, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I was unaware people from Virginia actually attended the University of Richond. If you honestly think UR is the school for beer in the state of Virginia you probably haven't been off of campus other than your trips back to New Jersey. Beer pong resides in Blacksburg.

Posted by: sitruc | February 8, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

chris gets the bowzack.

Posted by: steve stevenson | February 8, 2007 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh GW your insecurity is hilarious.

Posted by: HoyaSinceBirth | February 8, 2007 9:56 PM | Report abuse

And these shall be my final comments:

danj- sorry I stoppped reading after you made the comment "I don't really want to fan the flames of GW-GU hatred". anyone who prefaces anything with such a line should never be listened to or taken seriously.

ashwin advani is the balls.

flip cup guy- I still can't believe you're serious.

when did this become a referendum about drinking games? this piece and the original article was about beirut (that's what its called) and when did JMU and Richmond become involved?

and finally HoyaSinceBirth- do you know what a hoya is? I didn't. Dictionary.com says: "Any shrubby climbing plant of the genus Hoya, of the milkweed family, esp. the wax plant, H. carnosa, a pot plant with waxy white flowers."

And you're totally right about GW insecurity, that's why I placed chose to use my full name in my posts, just like you...

Posted by: benmorrissey | February 9, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

The fact that you couldn't figure out what the Hoya In Hoya Saxa means is further proof that the admissions directors at georgetown made the right choice by rejecting you.

Posted by: Peter Keszler | February 9, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

you're right, they made the right decision not accepting my application that I never submitted. So it's something about a waxy flower right?

Posted by: benmorrissey | February 9, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm really confused. what are you guys? the waxy flower? or the what's?

Posted by: benmorrissey | February 9, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

The beer pong/beirut thing is regional, there's no right or wrong. It's like arguing pop vs soda. Pointless. Much like Georgetown football.

Posted by: Andrew from ColonialHoops.com | February 9, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Pointless, just like the GW men's basketball team

Posted by: RachHaver | February 14, 2007 12:07 AM | Report abuse