Life Imitates Kornheiser

If my e-mailers are to be believed, I'm now three for three in Cheese Boy references during the three-day history of the new Tony Kornheiser Show (8:30-10:30 am M-F, WTWP, support all the show's fine sponsors, etc. etc.). Aside from this morning's "Idol" recap, I haven't heard much of the show, because I'm attempting to blog during those hours. If anyone could tell me exactly what's been said, I'd appreciate it. But the overarching point seems to be that I'm attempting to steal his shtick. To which I'd say, yeah, duh. His shtick earned him lots of ESPN dollars, a writing job where he no longer has to write, the ability to crush bloggers like so many defenseless grapes, plus a brilliant radio show on which he's allowed to just make fun of John Feinstein and talk about the previous night's Idol episode, which is what I'd do this morning if I hadn't been hanging out with sports bloggers last night. (Note: Nigel from the TK show was also there last night, and will hopefully prevent me from becoming a crushed grape.)

I posted his photo, and I linked to his podcast. (Julia Ewan - The Washington Post)

Point being, Tony's got a pretty sweet gig, and yeah, I'm sort of self-consciously ripping him off to a certain extent (although I come by the baldness naturally, and I never asked to be put in his Page 2 space, since who really reads newspapers any more?). But yeah, the ripping-off thing comes from love and respect and admiration and imitation being the finest form of blah blah blah, and me pointing out this love/respect/admiration etc. in a public forum comes from a desire not to become a crushed grape. For the record, though, I also wanted to point out a few more ways in which I'm ripping him off.

1) Tony spent years going on about his good friend Nancy. This week, longtime Bog reader Nancy (whose name is actually Nancy, unlike Tony's friend) entered the Bog Hall of Fame by giving away, like, 439 Wizards tickets to Bog readers and posting 7,000 comments.

2) Tony speaks often of the "Littles," the peons who fetch him his bagels and put on his makeup and whatnot. The producer for my Comcast stuff is named Adam Littlefield, and he has, since Day One, posted on this Bog under the name "Littles." I mean, it's his name. We can't help that.

3) Tony has this thing called the "Mr. Tony Experience," where fancy people treat him very nicely when he goes about town. The other day at the Wizards game, a Wiz PR person gave me three leftover blue-and-bronze Wizards wigs, just because of the power of the Bog, and a random fan asked me who I was about 17 times and still didn't understand that I actually work for The Post. Ok, maybe that one doesn't work so well.

4) Tony has a whole line of Tony t-shirts, designed by a fan, the sales of which benefit charity. Go check 'em out. I've had several offers from Bog friends to design t-shirts; an Atlantic 11 D.C. Sports Bog Local Hoops Poll t-shirt is in the works, and I'd be very happy if someone (possibly even Tony's t-shirt person, Dan Levy from 609design) would design a more generic Bog t-shirt.

5) Tony used to earn famous reprimands from important ESPN people for doing things that the important ESPN people didn't like. He didn't really seem to care all that much. Yesterday, I got an e-mail from important Comcast producer Andy "Beanie" Siegel, informing me that the fine folks at Comcast would appreciate it if when I referred to their station in the future, I used the full-on "Comcast SportsNet" appellation, instead of just saying "Comcast," even though everyone calls it Comcast, and even though I call the Washington Post the "WaPo" and no one complains, and even though I call Gilbert Arenas "Gil" and no one complains, and even though the mid-word capital letter is a technique best-used by Arena League teams, and Comcast Comcast Comcast Comcast Comcast Comcast Comcast Comcast Comcast.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 22, 2007; 12:23 PM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: On T-Wolves Trashtalking
Next: Sports Bloggers: Still White, Still Male

Comments

289 can do you a t-shirt. The man needs work.

And those Comcast SportsNet people can party something awesome. Even though I saw them all leave right after I checked out last night.

Posted by: Marc aka MDG | February 22, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry, your shirt is now in the works.

Posted by: twoeightnine | February 22, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry, your shirt is now in the works.

Posted by: twoeightnine | February 22, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh and I'd listen to a man who rocks a sweatervest as tight as Beanie.

Posted by: Marc aka MDG | February 22, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

She may not have known who you were, Steinz, but you also weren't there for the 1st half of the game when she was drinking white wine out of one of those large plastic Verizon Center beer cups (with lid) through a straw. Things can tend to get fuzzy when that's thrown into the picture.

Posted by: Duke Frankencow | February 22, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

It's a Nancy world, as Vegas-bound Bill knows well. Y'all are just living in it. I'm happily ticketless. Nothing more to give.

"Comcast SportsNet" Phhhhtwaaaa! Important to be "hip" by railing against the machine. Good show, good show. (This town has too many lawyers. Maybe Artest will bump into some tonight . . . .)

Posted by: Nancy | February 22, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that's just not digging Tony's show as much this time around? I realize we're only on day three (on the radio), and I don't watch American Idol, but I've ended up losing interest every day so far. And the cheapshots against Dan are honestly just pathetic. Tony would be better served by going after the bloggers all over the internets who have been grilling him for years, not the ones who obviously respect and admire him.

And was he kidding today about not knowing who Steven Colbert is? The sound level on the webcast fluctuates wildly, so I have trouble following along sometimes.

Posted by: bryc3 | February 22, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey Dan,

I'm also trying to make you something funny right now, that might hit close to home. It has to do with baseball, sort of. But you're just going to have to wait and see. I'm going to unveil a bunch of them this weekend!

Posted by: Ian | February 22, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting to feel left behind in the Bog world.

Posted by: Kim | February 22, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

You and Tony really need to Hug it out.

-Ari

Posted by: Blackaces | February 22, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I think the new show is pretty similar to the old one, but I also feel like there are a LOT more ads, or at least they're going to commercial more often now. Maybe it's just my imagination.

Posted by: Duke Frankencow | February 22, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Gotta say your bog is much better than TK or now TK1, he used to be TK when he wrote for the WaPo but has since 1-uped to TK1 not to be confused with Calvin Kleins scent CK

Posted by: Quik 1 | February 22, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse