Maryland Fans: Happy

Ok, just in case you all haven't waded through the comments below, the point of interviewing and posting photos of Georgetown fans dressed as parrots was to celebrate the joyous brother and sisterhood that results from the shared bonds of athletic accomplishment, or whatever. Also, I thought it was funny. I was not attempting to belittle Georgetown University, the athletic success of the Hoyas, the neighborhood west of Foggy Bottom, the fine shopping and dining options available on M Street, you, your siblings or your friends. If I were in college, odds are high that I'd be dressed like a parrot right now.

Furthermore, despite brief mumblings of old-person-ness from me this morning, if I were in college, I'd be storming every court in sight. I'd storm the court at the local gym when Official Wizards Beat Writer Ivan Carter hits a turnaround J in his rec league. It still surprises me coming from a national champion ACC school, but college kids like to run and jump and appear on television, and I support that. I can only hope that the brother of Blogfather Jamie Mottram wasn't taking a shot at me this AM when he wrote "I don't understand anyone who wastes their time complaining about court-rushing. Who the hell cares? If the students wanna celebrate, then let them." Celebrate on, students. Even better, dress like parrots while you celebrate. Just don't burn anything.

But I did want to clear up one misperception. On this morning's item, Reader Kev said it was "a half-hearted court storming by the looks of it." YouTube would disagree. There are a million clips from last night that seem pretty full-hearted, or at a minimum three-quarters hearted; here's the one most likely to make you queasy, but see also here, here, here, here, here, etc.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 26, 2007; 4:01 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NCAA DIII Fields Announced
Next: Local Hoops Poll Week 13: Love at the Top

Comments

ah, good times!

Posted by: littles | February 26, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

That wasn't Dan taking cheap shots at Georgetown in his previous post, it was us. And by us, I mean me.

Posted by: bryc3 | February 26, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Somewhere out there, there's likely ESPN footage of me rushing the court after ASU beat UofA in basketball.

Posted by: Kim | February 26, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"national champion ACC school" ... The pool of students who were enrolled when UMD won it all is getting smaller each semester - these fans are more likely to remember the ACC tourney run then two years of disappointment.

And speaking of disappointment..WTF is up with Maryland's placement in the AP and Coach's polls? Did they all vote before last night's game?

Posted by: SteveJeltzFan | February 26, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

When I get home and can access YouTube (pesky job!) I'm sure I'll stand corrected. Just looked a little delayed and slow moving of a storm when I saw it on TV.

Posted by: Kev | February 26, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh, so now you're taking shots at the West End. It's bad enough to be stuck between Trachtenberg's insatiable behemoth and preppy central but never did I think that the Post would just blithely wipe it off the map.

Posted by: Free DC | February 26, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I'll take Kim's ASU vs. AZ court rushing on espn and raise it by my small appearance in the corner of the screen on Sportscenter when the Szczerbiak-led Miami Redhawks upset Vincent Yarbrough and then-ranked Tennessee at Miami my senior year.

Posted by: Markus V. | February 26, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, anybody who complains about college kids rushing the court is probably the same person who is quick to offerin any discussion about The Office that the British version is much, much better than the American version.

Um, thanks. Now STFU and let me rush the court and watch Dwight Schrute, please.

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | February 26, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I'll second the disappointment in Maryland's new position in the polls. While perhaps not as "hot" as Georgetown at the moment, did Maryland NOT just beat #5 UNC in their only regular season game this season? And correct me if I'm wrong, but did they NOT also dispatch Duke in relative comfort? Yes, Duke has been losing to everyone lately, but that only increases my anger that they're still ranked so highly. How the hell they remain ranked higher than the Terps is a mystery, they don't deserve to be in the top 25 by any stretch of the imagination. Simply put, this is one of the weakest squads at Duke in quite some time. I'd put them below UNC, MD, VT, UVA, BC, and possibly Clemson. Arguments could be made for others in the conference as well. Perhaps after the Terps knock them off at Cameron on Wednesday (and I'll be in Durham for the game) they'll finally get tossed from the top 25. I'm also predicting a Duke loss in the 1st round of the ACC Tournament, even if they square off with Wake Forest.

Posted by: AlecW81 | February 26, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

wow, i can't believe i'm going to be the guy defending Duke (i'd almost rather defend Georgetown), but since their 4-game slide, they have 5 straight wins including victories over their second over both BC and Clemson (you should really check their recent results; they're not 17-0 anymore). their only out of conference loss was against Marquette and they have wins over Air Force, Georgetown, Indiana and Gonzaga.

the ACC is a damn good league and Duke is not as bad as everyone wants them to be. if you think their AP rank is high, just know that they're still #9 at kenpom.com:

i don't like them, and the fact that they didn't play an away game out of conference is shameful, but they're not bad.

Posted by: jamie | February 26, 2007 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Duke's poll rankings : men's basketball :: Notre Dame's poll rankings : football

Posted by: Lindemann | February 26, 2007 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Steinz: Don't worry, it was not meant to be a shot at you. I'd never dream of such a thing. It's (court-rushing) something I hear people complaining about everywhere and I just don't understand what the big deal is.

PS. Thanks for the Arenas poster. It's going in my cube!

Posted by: Chris Mottram | February 26, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I didn't agree with Duke being dropped from the polls then coming back in at #17, but I do think they should be ranked top 25. They are one of the hotter teams. (Sorry Hoya fans for the hotter teams curse earlier.) Although I believe they should be ranked, I think there are a few ACC teams they should be behind. I think the ACC is misrepresented in their placement in the polls. The teams people expected didn't do what people thought so the teams that we have now aren't as high as they could be(sounds a lot like a college football).

Posted by: sitruc | February 26, 2007 10:28 PM | Report abuse