Meet Your New D.C. United Supplemental Draft Picks: Shawn Crowe

The most viscerally notable newcomer at DCU training this morning was goalie Shawn Crowe, who is one of two GKs currently in camp, along with Ryan McIntosh. (Starter Troy Perkins, of course, is in national team camp.)

For one thing, Crowe yells very, very loudly. Frequently, he yells "Good stuff!!!!!" at his teammates. Except he doesn't say "stuff."

"I get my personality from my mother," he told me today. "She's quiet like I am on a day-to-day basis, but when she gets to something she loves, that she has a passion for, then her true feelings come out too, and that's how I am."

"So she screams a lot?" I asked.

"She screams a lot, yeah," he agreed.

Also, he looks like a linebacker. Which might be a knee-jerk kind of thing to say, except in this case, it's true. He played running back, fullback and linebacker on youth football teams until the age of 14, when he quit to concentrate on soccer. He told me today that his dad was a free safety at Colorado before suffering a career-ending injury. Plus, he's 6-2, 215.

"He's a beast," DCU assistant and former keeper Mark Simpson said. "A lot of our guys kind of compare him to Zach Thornton. I'd say he's a little slimmer version of Zach, but he's got the body type and it can be intimidating. If you've got to go up for a ball in the air with him, you might think twice."

People always assumed Shawn would be a football player, even though he also played basketball and soccer and ran the 200 and 400 in track. People still tell him that he looks like a football player.

"I kind of fooled everybody," he said.

No one in his family had played soccer; he got into the sport as an elementary schooler, when another kid's parent saw him playing kickball on the playground. He was kicking the ball a lot further than everyone else. So the parent asked him if he wanted to try to play soccer, and he went to a practice and liked it, and around the age of 12 he moved into goal, and once he got to high school he gave up other sports.

"I liked football, but it just got real boring to me," he said. "I don't like going and stopping, going and stopping; I like everything continuing. That's what I love the most about soccer; everything's continuous."

Crowe played his college ball at Florida International, where he was a teammate of Bobby Boswell, who's been giving him advice on his MLS hopes. He spent last summer working out with Joe Cannon back in Colorado, and he still calls Cannon for advice, too.

His non-soccer plan is to get into real estate with his cousin in Colorado, but United Coach Tom Soehn saw him at a USL combine "and just said he had some good athletic qualities; kind of a raw goalkeeper that we might have to mold, but he said there might be something there," Simpson told me. "He's a big physical specimen and he seems to be a gamer. I need to work on the little things, the footwork and communication, but he's got natural raw ability in goal, and he's a physical athlete. There's something to work with."

So regardless, he's in United preseason camp now, which is kind of interesting.

[Note: Yeah, I get it, Goff has a blog, but seriously, if Bryan76 and Riz and SEKim and Dave Lifton and DCAustinite and all the others have abandoned me, just let me know and I'll stop writing about DCU. And if my editor could just let me know when he creates the Gilbert Arenas blog and the Local College Basketball Rankings blog, I'd appreciate it, so I can go home and lock myself in the bathroom. Thanks.]

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 1, 2007; 6:27 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Devon McTavish Philosophizes
Next: What You Need to Know

Comments

Don't worry, Dan. You're still number 1 in my book. I still count on you, even if I check the Wiz/Soccer blogs, too.

Posted by: Mike in SD | February 1, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Now this isn't Dave Lifton, but damn it man! Keep writing! You provide the feature-esque in-sight into DC United that Goff could only writing!

Posted by: Dave | February 1, 2007 6:47 PM | Report abuse

And by "Goff could only writing" I mean "Goff could only DREAM of writing.

Posted by: Dave | February 1, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Please keep writing! you provide a side we don't normally see.

Posted by: m | February 1, 2007 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Goff is too smug about his blog. Including the fact that he just learned how to put links in.

He also needs a hat.

Posted by: Kim | February 1, 2007 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Supplemental Draft Pick? Will his contract go up as a result of the minimum wage hike passing in the Senate? In fact, will the whole DC United payroll now increase?

Posted by: jr | February 1, 2007 7:06 PM | Report abuse

DCU fans are reading both your blog and Steven Goff's. This way I won't have to waste time on DCU fans in obscure places with little information.
Please keep writing your blog it is interesting stuff.

Posted by: Chuck | February 1, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

You cover a side of DC United that Goff is unwilling and likely incompetent to capture. You see the Club in a more holistic light and not just the boxscore. Each has its place.

DCU fans and the Barra in particular are pretty damn loyal. I don't think you'll see us ever turn on you Dan.

I'll send you any funny stories that come out of my trip to Honduras for the match.

Posted by: BigRob | February 1, 2007 7:24 PM | Report abuse

You'll always have Kim.

And, hey, Mark Simpson, isn't EVERYONE in some way a slimmer version of Big Zach?

Posted by: Maggie | February 1, 2007 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Please don't stop the bog! like many have said before me, you write about a whole different side of the team.

Posted by: CW | February 1, 2007 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I haven't abandoned you, Dan. I'm still a faithful reader, but I've been working on some other things lately, and that's taking up a lot of my time. Sorry I missed you at practice today. I was there on Monday and yesterday, and will be there tomorrow if it's not called off.

Posted by: Dave Lifton | February 1, 2007 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Ah, Dan, don't worry. As long as Sun Ming Ming is playing basketball over in Maryland, I think you'll always have material which you can write about.

Posted by: Blackaces | February 1, 2007 8:31 PM | Report abuse

No Dan, noooooooo.... I haven't abandoned you, I swear.

Just been an extra long off-season and busy time in non-football related stuff.

I'm looking forward to your cheese contribution at our first tailgate of the season.

Posted by: Riz | February 1, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Goff covers the big picture league-wide and has all the inside info. But like someone else said a few weeks back during your Rimando at the Caps game coverage, you make the team into real people, covering the Olson's wedding and things like that. I'm looking for all of the above in my United coverage. All that and The DCenters too. Obvs.

Posted by: leafblower | February 1, 2007 8:57 PM | Report abuse

To prove it further, a small tribute to the Boggy man himself:

Posted by: Riz | February 1, 2007 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I HEART this blog.

Posted by: Chris | February 1, 2007 9:16 PM | Report abuse

DSteinz - I pledge to keep up with both the bog and the soccer insider. Like AD said, "Don't hate, congratulate."

Plus, where else can I learn how to handicap the WNBA, Agent 0's latest heroics, what kind of beer and cheese I need for a tailgate, whether Rimando has been hit with a squirt gun or what Mrs. Boswell is up to?

Posted by: tmc | February 1, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Can never have enough on the united. Ever.

Posted by: bb | February 1, 2007 11:22 PM | Report abuse

bb do you never read the bottom of DC press releases. It's DC United or United but never The DC United or The United.

Just nitpicking here.

Posted by: bluemeanies | February 1, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse

What everyone else said...you are our man. You have a great way of showing the human sides of our team and getting them to admit to and do stuff that is just amazing.

Plus you are a damned good writer and prolific as hell.

And, if you abandon us I'll write to Don and Len...and they do know me.

Posted by: seahawkdad | February 1, 2007 11:33 PM | Report abuse

if you get rid of the futbol coverage ... I don't know what I would do

Posted by: littles | February 2, 2007 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Dan, I'm a Wizards and Caps fan too, so I'm "keeping it gangsta" by continuing to read and post. Keep up the quality work.

Posted by: Paul | February 2, 2007 1:12 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't stop reading your bog. Who else could get an intimidating guy to admit his mom's a screamer. :)

I just seldom comment on other sports in DC because I don't care about them.

Posted by: Bryan76 | February 2, 2007 6:26 AM | Report abuse

Still here Dan the Man. Hope you can make the Barra preseason bash next Friday at Kilroy's.

Posted by: Chico | February 2, 2007 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Steinz, Steinz, I can't believe you're that easily intimidated, my man. Besides, my guess is that Goff will have absolutely zero suggestions for cheeses to match the 5-gallon keg of homebrewed English-style pale ale I'm bringing to the season-opening Barra tailgate.

Keep fighting the good fight, and remember to get in some workouts so you're ready for the inevitable Bog/Insider Steel Cage Match.

Posted by: EdTheRed | February 2, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Geez Louise, I just can't keep up with all the writers in my life clamoring for my attention. ;-p

K

Posted by: SEKim | February 2, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Quietly lurking myself. You keep the stories comin, I'll keep readin em.

Posted by: DrunkCajun | February 2, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

See? I told you. Everyone loves you (including me).

Posted by: 6-1, 180 | February 2, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I love you Dan!

Posted by: S. Goff | February 2, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Dan, dont worry man i cant get enough DC united news. There is enough room in this town for the both of you!

Posted by: Ian | February 2, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

settle down sparky, we still read. Actually I check this one first, I prefer to read someone that sees it from more similar perspective as me. Then I check Goff for dry stats, news and figures :D

Posted by: Srdan Barra | February 2, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

GOFF RULES

Posted by: Rocko | February 2, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

NO, O'DOYLE RULES!

Posted by: O'Doyle | February 2, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry Dan. Until the Post hires Tim Russert to do a sports blog, you'll have the market cornered on the 'Distric sports scene covered by a WNY native' blog. Keep up the good work and pray that this Meet the Press thing works out for Tim.

Posted by: Shawn | February 2, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Still here reading. Not always posting comments, but alwayse check in to see what the latest scoop is. Keep up the good work man. Hope you can make it to the Barra Bash at Kilroys.

Posted by: DB | February 2, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse