Possibly the Greatest Quote of My Career

So, since I canceled my trip to Vegas for the all-star game (sorry 'bout that), I figured I should head up to Philly yesterday to complete the first half of the Wiz season. In every way, blogging this team has been the greatest gold mine in Bog history, and I figured something would happen up in Philly to justify the $100 train ticket. I just didn't know that something would be one quote, the last quote I got on the night.

I was leaving the locker room after the game when I ran into Brendan Haywood, who was also leaving. After I got a brief video interview for my First Half Recap, I shut off the camera and we left. As we walked down the hallway, I asked him what he thought about the Internets people now calling him Brendan Todd Haywood.

"As long as I'm 3-0, they can call me whatever they want," he said.

My mind reeled. He didn't really mean "3-0" in that sense, did he?

"I'm 3-0," he said. "I'm the undisputed heavyweight champion of the Washington Wizards."

I mean, is this the most bloggable team in the history professional sports or what? That was worth $100, easy.

[Edit: For the record, Haywood has an excellent sense of humor and appeared to be joking, and I'll now spend the rest of the day hoping my Wizards press credential doesn't get revoked.]

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 15, 2007; 10:37 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Important Sports Results
Next: Tony Batista On Board

Comments

Can you really consider yourself a heavyweight champion when your finishing move involves trying to rip someone's hair out? Like, come on. REALLY?

Posted by: Ian | February 15, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Haywood's just happy they're calling him his full name instead of Brenda.

Posted by: Harrison | February 15, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

What kind of reporting is this? Where is the reaction quote from Etan?

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | February 15, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Actually, for closure and balance, what's Etan's middle name?

Posted by: jhorstma | February 15, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I have a hard time believing BTD is 3-0 vs. Tan Tan. Great quote, though, Bog Man Steinz!

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | February 15, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Oh wow! FINALLY - a Wizards blg that does not involve Gilebrt Arenas.

Posted by: 761-091 | February 15, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I've been calling him Brenda.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | February 15, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Wait, you're not going to Vegas? Seriously?

Posted by: leafblower | February 15, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

This entire topic begs the question, "Who ya Got" in a Royal Rumble between all of the Wizards players? My $20,000 is on Caron and I've got Jarvis bleeding first.

Posted by: Kaan | February 15, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Kaan -
I got Caron as well. I think its him and Ruffin at the end.

Posted by: the cheat | February 15, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

3-0 in practice. 0-415 in real games.

Posted by: The Prognosticator | February 15, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Nothing will be settled until BTH and Etan meet in the Octagon.

Posted by: Adam | February 15, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

WWBTHD?

What Would Brendan Todd Haywood Do?

Posted by: Blackaces | February 15, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

The whole issue is wack -- and DEAD.

Let it GO.

Posted by: Ntlekt | February 15, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Your career must suck if that was your greatest quote ever.

Posted by: Stryder | February 16, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Dear Dan:
Likewise, the greatest moment of my career would be to punch you.

Posted by: punchy | February 16, 2007 10:39 PM | Report abuse