Posters

A few quick points I'd like to make about Tuesday night's Wizards game.

1) It was hibachi poster night. I was walking around looking for extras when some security lady dumped a stack in my arms. "I don't give a dang," she said. Later in the night I found myself in the possession of three blue and bronze Wizards wigs. After handing various of these items out to various people (Steve Buckhantz, my furnace guy), I'm left with two wigs and 16 posters. I'm inclined to just dump 'em by the side of the road, but if you really really really need a wig or a hibachi poster, just e-mail me your address and put "poster" in the subject line. I guess No. 17 and No. 18 will get a wig.

Edit: They're all spoken for.

The Hibachi poster. There's a quote at the bottom, too. (By Sports Bog)

2) I met longtime Bog commenter Duke Frankencow. He was sitting in a weird corner seat, where the view was partially blocked by the dance team. The two guys sitting near him didn't seem to mind that all that much. Or maybe they did, it was hard to tell. "Stop, stop right there," they were saying to the dancers when I wandered by. "Illegal move, illegal move." The dance team changed its poses. "Yeah, I like that one," they said. An interesting way to watch the game. Also, sitting nearby was a woman who promised me that she's bring her Italian language Wizards posters Thursday night. I don't know why they're in Italian. She told me proudly that she reads Ivan Carter's stories as soon as she gets on the bus to work every day. I asked her like 17 times if she reads my blog, and she still didn't understand what I was talking about.

Also, later, Duke saw Wolf Blitzer in the bathroom. For the record.

Who am I? (By Sports Bog)

3) I just don't think Caron Butler's giant bobblehead looks anything like him. I mean, not even close. It could be a bobblehead of any random person in the world. It could be a bobblehead of David Lee. Who was the artist? At least there's a mild resemblance with the Gilbert and Jamison giant bobbleheads.

4) G-Man performed Gilbert's trampoline dunk in the second half, several times. The PA guy called it the "Air Hibachi." So I guess that's what it's called now. I tried to interview G-Man, but you need to formally request the interview and go through all the official channels and whatnot. Maybe later. I'm willing to interview him in the bright blue muscle-bound costume or out of it.

5) Donuts really do cost $2 at the VC. That's an expensive donut.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 21, 2007; 3:46 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Full Story on DeShawn "Mister 50" Stevenson
Next: Boxers Take the Red Line

Comments

The donut thing . . .

"Zuke" posted in my contest thread that they cost more than a Kwame Wizards jersey -- good point.

That is sooo not Caron Butler.

I think bobbleheads are per se scarey. I don't get 'em at all, ever. Blech. I got a bobblehead of Haywood once and that was REALLY scarey. My cats hated it too.

Posted by: Nancy | February 21, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, he is wearing #3.

Posted by: Prophet | February 21, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

The chocolate chunk cookie at Dunkin Donuts is worth every penny.

Posted by: r.g. | February 21, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

The chocolate chunk cookie at Dunkin Donuts is worth every penny.
I loved how the VC was giving Ricky Davis the business last night, how he didn't get tossed was beyond me, I was waiting for someone to lob their beer at him when he sat on the scorers table, that could have been ugly.

Posted by: r.g. | February 21, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

when i went to the last wizards/heat game down near mid-court (my friend got his company's season tickets that night), we actually walked past wolf blitzer as were leaving. it was strange.

what made it even weirder was the fact that he had two beautiful, placticly enhanced women around him. personally, i think he's a great news anchor and i have no qualms with him, but come on? You're Wolf Blitzer. Where's the integrity?!

Posted by: Ian | February 21, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I love that cookie so much I had to say it twice.
Steinz, Is that "Blue Steel" or "Magnum" in the new photo?

Posted by: r.g. | February 21, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I can confirm Wolf Blitzer was on the concourse last night. That seriously was the highlight of an otherwise boring game.

Posted by: Dan | February 21, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dan | February 21, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

$2 for a donut? Wow. Should find a way to sneak in boxes of Krispy Kremes and sell them in there w/o getting caught.

Posted by: nara | February 21, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Nancy,

My cats knocked my BTH mini-bobblehead (the Sprite one) off our bar and onto the hardwood floor, breaking his head off. His loose head has since become their favorite toy, and they scoot it from one end our place to the other. There is a joke in there about cats running Brenda up and down the hardwood, but I'd never stoop so low as to take cheapshots against the Champ.

Posted by: bryc3 | February 21, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

To me the bobblehead looks like a reused Michael Jordan bobblehead with the 2 crossed out before the 3. Soon they'll have one that was a prior Kwame bobblehead, add a 2 after it, and call it Calvin Booth.

Posted by: Denesh | February 21, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

OMG WHERE DID YOUR HAT GO?!?!?!?!?

dwight schrute makes a good bobblehead.

Posted by: Ed Lee | February 21, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or does Dan without the hat look like American Idol contestant Phil Stacey, who I believe is kin to Powder? Way to go Dan, kick Simon's a**!

Posted by: Denesh | February 21, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Denesh | February 21, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Denesh | February 21, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

woops, sorry about that, the submit button is a tricky one.

Posted by: Denesh | February 21, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I love my cats too much to expose them to a Haywood bobblehead.

Posted by: Nancy | February 21, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Maybe those are just redressed, left over black Brian Roberts bobble-heads that the Orioles couldn't use last year.

Posted by: Colin | February 21, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and now Dan looks like Ivan Carter's white twin brother.

Posted by: Colin | February 21, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Re: The lack of hat.

The change of picture was mildly upsetting and very disorienting. For a second there, I thought Michael Stipe took over the Bog. And I'm still not entirely convinced that ISN'T Michael Stipe.

Posted by: F.C. | February 21, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

The good folks at the VC will hate me for posting this, but the best thing to do is eat at the FuddRuckers (diagonally across the street in Chinatown) before or after the game. $10 gets you a nice sandwich with fries + soda. Ante up $3 more and you get a very rich (I meant fat) milkshake.

Chicken nachos at the club level is worth the $9 (if you can get in). The line is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW. Pulled pork nachos are a little bit dry (it looks wet when they cut it but becomes Ramen-like once they're on the chips). The chicken tenders are good (never had a bad batch yet in 2K7).

The beer/soda lids have got to go. Those things crack way too easily, causing more spills than not having one. Boggy (aka Steinberg) should do a science test on the lids. A good bog topic on a slow day? Yes sir.

Posted by: Zuke | February 21, 2007 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Well if nothing else, Dan's picture is now larger than guys like Goff.

I miss the hat, though.

Posted by: Kim | February 21, 2007 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Fortunately, my sister's chemistry teacher had two Hibachi posters that she was going to throw away, so one's tacked up to the wall in my room now.

Posted by: Sean | February 21, 2007 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Interview G-WIZ...

Posted by: WGDC- | February 22, 2007 12:57 AM | Report abuse

a friend went to a wiz game, and as they were walking out to their left was Wolf Blitzer. Some college kid was walking the opposite way and yells "WOLF!" My friend reports that Wolf Blitzer stared him down without uttering a word.

Posted by: CreditZard | February 22, 2007 8:31 AM | Report abuse

If you stop by after the game, the donuts usually are discounted for buy 2, get 1 free. Not cheap, but better. When the stand first opened they were $1, then they jacked up the price within two or three days.

Posted by: FS | February 22, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Where's Mike Wise? I haven't seen or heard him since Vegas.

Posted by: ralph from silver spring | February 22, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

They couldn't even throw a headband on there? Even a little more point to the ears woulda helped! Who cares, I want one...C'RON! C'RON!

Posted by: BThom | February 25, 2007 2:33 AM | Report abuse