Signing Day Coverage (by the names)

Since signing day is apparently one of the hallowed days on the sports calendar, I figure I should acknowledge it in some way. And with help from colleague Alan Goldenbach, I realized the most Bog-worthy acknowledgement possible: by the names.

Best homage to the Golden Girls: OL Bearthur Johnson, Maryland

Best Biblical reference (tie): WR Genesis Cole, Tulsa; WR Zion Babb, Michigan; C Sampson Genus, South Florida

Best knight imagery: S Sir DeMarco Bledsoe, TCU

Best-named son of a former NFL QB: C T-Bob Hebert, LSU

Best Scrabble player: DT Xzavier Stewart, Kent State

Best color imagery (tie): DE Gelo Orange, Wake Forest; WR Golden Tate, Notre Dame

Most generous: WR Co-Eric Riley, Mississippi State

Best future Maryland basketball player: RB Daniel "Boom" Herron, Ohio State

Player who really ought to have signed with Virginia: RB Jamarion Cavness, TCU

Most redundant: RB Jock Sanders, West Virginia

Best hotel imagery: OT Windham Rotunda, Troy

Best first name that features none of the typical five vowels (tie): QB Tysyn Hartman, Kansas State; S Cyhl Quarles, Wake Forest

Best use of the apostrophe (tie): LB J'Courtney Williams, Virginia; WR D'Amon Merkerson, Syracuse; QB A'Jami Guyton, Central Florida; DT Donte'e Nichols, South Carolina; DE Sa'Coby Carter, Middle Tennessee St.

Best homage to a former Heisman winner: OG Simpson Rushing, UTEP

Feel free to contribute your own.

And also, this at long last gives me a reason to link to one of the greatest Web sites in the world, Name of the Year, whose Hall of Name includes such understated classics as Assumption Bulltron, Crescent Dragonwagon, Doby Chrotchtangle, Licentious Beastie, Mummenschontz Bitterbeetle and, of course, Nimrod Weiselfish. This year's winner was Princess Nocandy, although I have no idea how that beat out Wolfgang Winkelmayer or Gay Straite.

Although I still like Texas football phenom Phyre Quickly Burns.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 8, 2007; 12:32 PM ET
Categories:  College Football
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilbert on Vids
Next: Roger Mason's New Tattoo

Comments

I think my favorite has to be Akbar Hemmingway.

Posted by: Colin | February 8, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I'll always be a fan of the basketball player, Cheif Kickingstallionsims.

Posted by: Trey | February 8, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Bearthur Johnson? You cannot bea serious!

I love how some people are just directly spelling the phonetic mis-pronunciation of Xavier. As if to acknowledge that they know how it's correctly pronounced, but emphatically want it to be mis-pronounced. Hilarious!

(I'm pick up on it a lot, being a Xavier alum)

Posted by: Kev | February 8, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

the NOTY "About" page also features "Maximum Havoc Steinberg". you've gotta work that onto a business card somehow.

Posted by: jamie | February 8, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

On the About NOTY page, the guy claims former Terp Herman Veal and Skin Dexter Manley as inspirations to start the award.

Posted by: Kev | February 8, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

i don't want to alarm anyone, but 2005 Name Of The Year winner Tanqueray Beavers was shot and killed in December:

Posted by: jamie | February 8, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

It seems as though you should've written it as #### Straite

Posted by: smperk | February 8, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Best Self-Anagram: CB Gary Gray, Notre Dame

Posted by: Matt J. | February 8, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Jerrod Gooch - OL Texas Tech

Gooch!

Posted by: Herm | February 8, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Most likely to "shopping" L. Coles and P. Warrick: Phelon Jones

Posted by: Dude | February 9, 2007 1:48 AM | Report abuse

Mississippi State's class is remarkably strong...

Co-Eric Riley
Jazzmen Guy

and of course

Mike Hunt

Posted by: Kerwin4two | February 9, 2007 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I don't get a couple of the jokes.

Best future Maryland basketball player: RB Daniel "Boom" Herron, Ohio State

Player who really ought to have signed with Virginia: RB Jamarion Cavness, TCU

Please explain. Thanks

Posted by: Gerry | February 13, 2007 7:25 PM | Report abuse

UVA is the Cavaliers, Cavs for short...so someone exhibiting "Cavness" would have fit right in.

The Maryland one stumped me too, and hearing the name "Daniel Herron" gave me an ugly flashback to the Cards-A's Mulder trade...

Posted by: Nathan | March 2, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse