Todd Bozeman Doesn't Want Ham Sandwiches

This news has broken too late to affect anyone's Local Atlantic 11 poll ballot this week, but it's worth mentioning.

Morgan State basketball coach Todd Bozeman was charged with misdemeanor assault after an argument with a restaurant employee following a close loss to Longwood.

Police were called to Mulligan's restaurant near the Longwood campus Saturday after Bozeman arrived to pick up dinner for the team, according to restaurant manager Carlos Holland.

Holland said Bozeman "just went belligerent, screaming that he didn't want ham sandwiches," and grabbed and shook a female assistant manager.

Morgan State led by 10 midway through the second half, but lost on a last-second shot. I'd be mad, too, if I lost to Longwood on a last-second shot. Although Longwood, at 8-17 overall, is now 3-8 in Local games, with wins over Norfolk State, American and Morgan State, so it's not humiliating or anything. And the Bears remain very much in the MEAC race, with just three league losses and four straight MEAC wins.

Top two jokes about this incident that I will not make.

1) Maybe the restaurant got his order wrong, but you'd think Bozeman would have given Mulligan's a do-over.

2) Many folks thought Morgan State would struggle this year, but it now appears all the Bears' problems are cured.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 5, 2007; 2:33 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Art Monk Internet Reaction: Sad
Next: Wizards Fashion Week Continues

Comments

After those two jokes, you're cut Dan. See me in my office after you shower.

Posted by: FS | February 5, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Is Bozeman a Muslim? Could that be the reason he didn't want ham sandwiches? Maybe it's a misunderstanding?

Although I certainly have no reason to believe anyone from rural Virginia would be intolerant of someone's religious views. Except for that whole overwhelming evidence to the contrary thing.

Posted by: bryc3 | February 5, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

There is no problem that a thirty-thousand dollar handshake can't solve, right?

Posted by: Prophet | February 5, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

I think you need to re-open the polls now that this news is available. Now that I know Coach Bozeman has a little of Coach Knight in him Morgan's star is on the rise in my book.

The Baltimore "Sun" is reporting that Coach ordered 52 Philly Cheese steak or chicken sandwiches and the restaurant had a little trouble with the order and delivery. I've never been to Longwood or Farmville but something tells me that if you called up and ordered 52 cheese steaks from the greasy spoon down there they may think it's a repeat of the old Don Imus radio stunt. And, who among us hasn't been the victim of a quick substitution by a restaurant that runs out of food during peak order season? Anger management or just the stress of watching your team blow a 10 point lead on the road? I'm very sympathetic to Coach since I blew my top Saturday afternoon trying to get through Fredericksburg to the tip off of the Mary Washington women's game and got hung up by street construction. Let the first among us who is without sin cast the first stone.

Apparently the Farmville police don't plan on trying to extradite Coach to face the charges but Morgan may want to think twice about upcoming trips to the Old Dominion, lest they be lying at the border for the bus to cross the Potomac. I'll bet the student sections at Norfolk State and Hampton will go nuts over this one.

Posted by: Dave Richardson | February 5, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Little known fact: Jerome Kersey loved ham sandwiches when he played at Longwood, so now no matter what you order there, you're getting ham.

Posted by: Markus V. | February 5, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm not an expert in college basketball by any means, but Morgan State is not exactly a powerhouse. Did anybody stop to think that the fact that Longwood was losing the entire game might have been a bit embarrassing??? Maybe Bozeman should do a better job of recruiting guys who can close out a game? Oh wait, maybe we shouldn't encourage Bozeman to change his recruitment techniques.

Posted by: JDMLongwood | February 6, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I live in Farmville and I am inclined to think this whole story is a little out of proportion. Mulligans is not your typical spot for African-Americans and when they found out they were fixn' sandwiches for an HBCU I believe they might have gotten a little upset and frustrated with the order.

Posted by: Nony | February 15, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse