Tommy Soehn, Indoor Superstar

Well, Kim asked for it, so here it is. This is new D.C. United coach Tommy Soehn's 1991 Pacific Trading Cards card, when he played for the Wichita Wings of the MISL. He's listed as a 5-foot-10, 160-pound defender. In his 110 career games to that point, he had recorded 12 goals, 11 assists, 23 points, 12 penalty minutes (penalty minutes?) and one game-winner.

Also, as the back of the card notes, "Soehn ranks as one of the Wings' all-time block leaders after only three years with the club."

The back of the card says nothing about his hairstyle.

Tommy Soehn.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 2, 2007; 3:49 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gil vs. DeShawn
Next: Gil vs. DeShawn, the Video

Comments

Thanks.

I'll move on to more obscure requests now.

Posted by: Kim | February 2, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

classic!

Posted by: littles | February 2, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I remember watching the MISL when I was young and playing some bastardized version of the sport in the living room as I watched. Using the couches and a coffee table turned on it's side to ring the room with boards and clothes baskets for goals. That was back when ESPN showed sports and Preki was young-ish.

Posted by: Prophet | February 2, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Is Nancy Steinz's (Steinz')wife?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 2, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Is it bad that I don't remember this league at all? I mean I know about the Cosmos and Pele and I wasn't even born yet. I even remember the World Football League. How do I not remember this?

Posted by: Dave B. | February 2, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I tell you. I really miss the Washington Warthogs. The fact that Gabarra was a player/coach is hilarious. Ladies loved Dennison but Dante was so much better.

Posted by: Marc | February 2, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

This is a fine stroll down memory lane. The Wichita Wings were usually a strong team, up near or at the top of the Western conference.

The penalty minutes are still an indoor soccer staple. Generally, the old MISL (and NPSL) rules were 2 minutes for a blue card foul (a foul more significant than a regular foul, but not necessarily intentional), 5 for a yellow card, and 5 plus ejection for a red card. Basically, very similar to hockey's rules.

Dan, as a Buffalo native, surely you remember the Buffalo Blizzard? With the well-known league villains, Randy and Rudy Pikuzinski (full disclosure: I had to look up their last names, but I can still picture their faces)! Come on!

Denison Cabral is an extremely friendly guy. I believe he is running soccer camps, coaching, and refereeing in the area. He also had the best indoor soccer celebration ever, which was to scale the boards and actually enter the crowd (which is all the more impressive when you factor in his height, which is only about 5'4").

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | February 2, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I remember going to the Warthogs games. They were great. Dan, I was just joking about Goff being better. Really, I was. Love the random DCU stuff that you come up with.

Posted by: Kinney | February 2, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse