What You Need to Know

Tuff Juice in '07 wins big. Caron will return to the scene of his marriage as an all-star (and Eddie Jordan goes, too). The bad news, obviously, is Jamison's three-to-six-week absence; Caron says he and Gil will

have to be more aggressive, Tom Knott is now talking about "the clutches of adversity," the team had plane problems in Toronto, and I don't think this headline is quite right.

Wow, UVA. Not a bad win over Duke. The Cavs break a bunch of streaks as their guards took over at the end, Coach K says Singletary is as good as any PG in the country after he hit that crazy game-winner, Cav Man rides a Harley, one North Carolina paper belittles the home crowd while another disagrees. Columnists: Steve DeShazo says the Cavs have arrived as ACC contenders, David Teel (who guaranteed the win) says we shouldn't be surprised. Local No. 2 Georgetown is a thoroughbred and St. John's is going to the glue factory after a second-half explosion leads to a G'town blowout. And Local No. 7 Old Dominion survives Drexel and the Phillie Phanatic to win its fourth straight.

Here's a profile of Local No. 1 Va. Tech's Cheick Diakite as the Hokies prepare for BC. Mike Jones says every game is now a must-win for Local No. 6 Maryland, Mason's attendance is better than a bunch of BCS schools, Gary Williams's fingerprints are all over Local No. 9 Loyola, which is getting nice contributions from Marquis Sullivan, Local No. 10 Towson is relying on quick starts, and Mount St. Mary's loses. Also, the Terps women are peeved after losing at Georgia Tech, whose players storm the court.

The Nats lock up Austin Kearns, who Jim Bowden calls "a cornerstone of this franchise" and Stan Kasten calls "a long-term building block." Manny Acta expects a minimum of 25 HR's and 100 RBI, and Kearns says the Nats "could be something special."

The Caps' power play does nothing against Florida, and Washington is again tonic for the Panthers. The team acquires a big young defenseman. And how 'bout Rod Dyachenko's weird border story?

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 2, 2007; 9:39 AM ET
Categories:  What You Need to Know
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Meet Your New D.C. United Supplemental Draft Picks: Shawn Crowe
Next: Non Friends of the Bog: Justin Timberlake and Pink

Comments

uh, travelling?

Posted by: pete | February 2, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

A great win for UVA no doubt, but Duke's plethora of layups is a big concern. Jason Cain needs to start eating eight cheeseburgers a day and he has to learn how to score when he's near the basket. But the Cavs do have a favorable schedule in the second half of ACC play with five should-wins against Miami (twice), Georgia Tech, Florida State, and at Wake Forest and three may-lose games against Virginia Tech (twice) and at Maryland. 11-5 in the ACC? 10-6? Or will they collapse like in the past and end up losing in the first round of the NIT?

Posted by: Reader Glenn | February 2, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Wow - G town looked good last night. I was worried until about 2 min left in the first. Certainly St. Johns is not the 'signiture win' Rick Majerus called for, however the fact that we struggled early and were able to still pick up a win is something we've yet to do.
I know the Hoyas are flying under the radar right now - which is fine with me.

I predict the Hoyas making it to the final 4.

Posted by: pjp5 | February 2, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I miss your Caps reports. I hope you are back in action with them once they return to town.

Posted by: OnIce | February 2, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Really happy about the All Stars. My prayers are with Jamison and his family. I like what Michael Lee said in a 1/24/07 WashPost Live Online, with gentle derisiveness toward trade talk: " I'm not Ernie Grunfeld. I cannot tell you what Jamison is worth in a trade. I just don't see why the Wizards would move him right now. I think Abe Pollin truly wants him to retire a Wizard. Does anybody remember what this franchise was before he got here?"

So three (really more, with the Ass't Coaches) are off to Las Vegas. And I hope AJ knows that we wizz fans understand his role in our success as a team and in Gilbert's and Caron's success.

As I enjoy the All Star game, and me and mine will be toasting to Jamison with some $14.99 beer!

Posted by: Nancy | February 2, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

"Clutches of adversity." Wow, that's a good takedown. Just to quote Knott can be a takedown.

February is young. Yet this is definitely a candidate for worst sports sentence of the month: "Now the Wizards again are being asked to hold firm in the clutches of adversity, an unsettling prospect in the past."

I mean really. You should *warn* us before linking to this. Well, Dan, I guess ya did. "Clutches of adversity" is a good warning.

Sigh, the travails of the reader . . . . And yet, if it's about the Wizards, read I must.

LAKERS!! LAKERS!! It's about the wardrobe. I'm going with the "Agent 60" t-shirt.

Posted by: Nancy | February 2, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

i predict the Hoyas losing four of their next six games.

Posted by: jamie | February 2, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Now that we all watched St. John's get pummeled by the Hoyas last night, can we please, please, please stop saying that Maryland's win over them was a "good" win for the Terps? I'm looking at you, Gary. Stop it.

Heck, their win over Winthrop was a better win than their win over St. John's.

Posted by: Matt | February 2, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

much have been the cheersheets, huh?

Posted by: littles | February 2, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

i was at jpj last night. great game. saw roger mason jr. but sadly no arenas sightings.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 2, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Pithy comments?

My alter ego seeks recognition.

Posted by: AIJ | February 2, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Jamison is worth much more to the Wiz than anyone else. He's the biggest part of the cohesiveness and spirit of the team.

Moreover, this team for years traded off their proven players for players who were wishful thoughts. Grunfeld and Pollin need to make sure players on our team and around the league know things have changed and players won't be traded on a whim. The team has jelled. I say continue to develop internally and add a player or two every year via the draft or (bargain) free agency.

Posted by: Neal | February 2, 2007 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Ming Ming, Nene, or Boumtje-Boumtje?

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | February 2, 2007 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Neal: you're write and you'll love Ivan Carter's intro paragraphy in his piece in today's Post, if you haven't read it already.

Everyone: OK, another wardrobe contest last night, the only part of the game I really want to discuss. (I have to confess that watching Kobe play last night was fun, though.)

Blatche, Roger Mason Jr., and Jarvis Hayes

Roger Mason, hands down. This time the crowd was quite decisive.

Blathce and Hayes were both going casual, which is fine. Just have to do it perfectly if you do it.

Blatche, not so bad -- hard for us to judge by the camera shots the quality of the sweater. Really good shirt. A little swarmy -- too hammy -- on the two-fingered kiss to the crowd. Just a little bit in the jury's personal space there.

Mason: Very very good. No budget problem here! That was a nice suit, well cut. Nice, nice color choices for the shirt and tie together -- pastel blue just barely setting off from the offwhite shirt. Good walk. Just, basically, no points off.

Jarvis: Hmm, camera cheated on you a little: we couldn't see much of the pants to see how it went with the sweater look. I must say, the sweater look was, well, just a sweater. It was nice and all -- but nothing noticeable about the shirt underneath or nothing. It was good, you were all good, but 'specially since you won last time, for me it was going to be between Blatche and Mason anyway.

Once again, I note: crowd was very attentive and taking their roles as judges seriously. It's not just me: I do think *we* like this.

P.S. Me: "Agent 60" t-shirt over a long-sleeved blue authletic shirt and, um, pink pants, soon to be smeared with barbecue sauce. So, like, I should judge, right?

Posted by: Nancy | February 4, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

is there a poll this week? am i supposed to vote?

Posted by: Ed Lee | February 5, 2007 8:07 AM | Report abuse