What You Need to Know

The weekend.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 9, 2007; 7:42 PM ET
Categories:  What You Need to Know
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eleven Things You Didn't Know About the GW Women
Next: Important Sports Results

Comments

I really want to commend Etan Thomas on his commitment to Wizards basketball and keeping that "fighting" spirit alive through thick and thin!

Posted by: littles | February 9, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Littles, yes. On the global front, he's against fighting. Yet war freed the slaves, and war freed the Jews. Some times you got to.

But on the home front, I'm glad to see that Etan is more willing to defend the victims of oppression -- such as multimillion dollar NBA atheletes -- such as himself.

I like Etan in the way a fan can delude herself into thinking she knows a player. But watching him try to defend this and reconcile it with his anti-war stance is like watching very leaden footwork under the basket. I think he should stop trying to reconcile and just say: "I screwed up."

What am I to do with Etan's position that Haywood should have known better and now he knows what's coming to him if he does that, but of course I, Etan, shouldn't have done it?

What am I to do with Etan's effort to connect with his anti-war stance in this public comments?

Etan's comments are confusing and muddled, as if he's just standing and watching the situation rather than quickly grabbing the ball -- oops, I mean apology -- and executing the play -- oops, I mean apology.

That said, in the thought experiment of friends-at-a-distance that is fandom, I still like Etan. Definitely human, but hey I knew that.

Posted by: Nancy | February 10, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Good for you Etan:

"Bottom line, I'm not putting up with any garbage from Brendan Todd Haywood..."

Posted by: GTB | February 10, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Nancy - have I missed where Etan Thomas did try to connect his antiwar position with his "personal self-defense" actions? I didn't see it in the quotes in Ivan Carter's story but I haven't seen any other coverage of the incident as yet.

Obviously Thomas is not an in-all-situations-no-matter-what pacifist. I think a lot of people would still say there's a big difference between a war and a fistfight, right?

Maybe this goes back to the "macho culture of the NBA"; while it might seem to me like a more reasonable response to stop play and try to use words to respond to Haywood's thrown elbow, that would presumably be seen as a soft and whiny response to in-game contact by NBA players. More socially acceptable - though obviously not to the coaches - to throw a punch at the other end of the court...?

Posted by: Josh | February 10, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

From the Times:
"Kwame Brown would be more than happy to trade blows with him..."
Hmm - maybe a trade straight up - Etan for Kwame? and a ham sandwich for Ernie?

Posted by: Jablome | February 10, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

How about them Hoyas!
Taking down #11 Marquette and celebrating 100 years of Hoops! The Hoyas will not relinquish their hold on the top of the rankings!

Posted by: Peter Keszler | February 10, 2007 7:51 PM | Report abuse

oh please VCU's loss to ODU was much more impressive then georgetown's win over marquette

quit being so bcs conference centered

Posted by: Anonymous | February 10, 2007 9:39 PM | Report abuse

"quit being so bcs conference centered"

How can you be BCS conference-centered when your school doesn't have a Division I-A football team?

Just another reason to despise the Big East -- both its mishmosh of members and its pompous ALL CAPS self-references.

Posted by: Vincent | February 11, 2007 12:59 AM | Report abuse

To follow-up the article about Nick Markakis and Adam Loewen being booed at a Caps game, from the AP report from the Saturday Caps/Rangers game:

"Former Orioles infielder Cal Ripken, who was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame last month, received a standing ovation when introduced to the crowd during the second period. He watched the game in the owner's box with Ted Leonsis."

Then again, perhaps its easier to cheer for ever-so-classy Iron Man himself than say...a guy who had a 5.34 ERA in his rookie year or the starting right fielder for a 92-loss team?

Posted by: Dave in Boston | February 11, 2007 1:53 AM | Report abuse

I thought the 'Hoo loss to the Hokies was pretty impressive too.

Posted by: sitruc | February 11, 2007 3:44 AM | Report abuse

cal was loudly cheered at the md duke game...yeah, i really just wanted to mention md beating duke

Posted by: kwamebrownsucks.com | February 11, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Josh,

Yeah, he talked about the war in connection with this in a news clip I saw on TV, I was just thinking: "Man, don't do that. Just don't bother."

Seems like, from tonight's games, there are a lot more (hopefully verbal) fights we're not privy too. Looks like Arenas didn't accept some coaching from Coach Eddie and got a little prickly.

Boy that was a painful game. It's like, I don't even want to talk about the wardrobe contest, that's how bad it was. (Great shirt, Roger, but Caron rocked it. And good sense of humor by all of this week's contestants. "Sense of humor...." Which was necessary to even still be in the areana when the contest was broadcast.)

Posted by: Nancy | February 12, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse