Au Revoir, Mason

Obviously a crushing loss for George Mason last night. But we can now discuss, with some clarity, how the CAA will fare on Selection Sunday. VCU winning the automatic bid makes for the most compelling scenario, because the Rams probably had the poorest at-large case of the top seeds.

I think Old Dominion deserves to get in. The win over Georgetown in McDonogh is a big help, and a 15-3 record in that league is a testimony to ODU's legitimacy.

Which brings us to Drexel. The Dragons were the story of the league in the nonconference portion of the season, with wins at Vermont, Pennsylvania, Syracuse and Villanova -- four teams that are either in or stand to make the tournament. That, with an RPI of 39 and a 13-5 conference record, should be enough.

The committee always says they look at teams, not whether a conference is getting too many or too few bids altogether. To its credit, last year's decisions seemed to support that premise. If it happens again, I think Drexel gets in.

Stay tuned for A-10 discussion re: U-Mass.'s at-large chances after GW steals the league tournament!

By Matthew Rennie  |  March 6, 2007; 1:31 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jeff Green for BE player of the year, other Big East odds and ends
Next: Seth Greenberg's Kosher Korner, Etc.

Comments

Drexel is in first...You are leaving out their Bracket Buster victory at Creighton, the Missouri Valley Champ, with an RPI of around 20.

ODU should get in too, but I think they are more of the boarderline choice.

Hopefully my Patriots get an NIT bid so we can keep playing, but if not, I'm juiced for next season and really pleased how we responded in Richmond this past weekend.

Posted by: PaulBall | March 6, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Drexel actually lost to Penn. By 19. It's actually the one result that may keep them out of the tournament.

Posted by: Matt | March 6, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Also, note Drexel's 13 road victories. Impressive by any standard.

Posted by: Paul Ball | March 6, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Drexel also lost to Rider(!) and was swept by ODU during the season. i think they both have to get in.

Posted by: jamie | March 6, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I had this very same discussion last night with my Hokie nephew, a senior home for a couple of days after the weekend in New York (it's spring break).

VCU had to win last night, and did. Drexel gets in before ODU or Hofstra; for all the reasons Paul stated above.

How many bids CAA gets is more a function of who chokes early and/or wins the BCS schools' conference tourneys this weekend (what we called the "Billy Packer Effect").

But, they should get one in addition to the automatic qualifier. Next Monday we can debate who deserved to get in and didn't.

Posted by: Dave Richardson | March 6, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

And while I agree with the assessment that VCU had to win the CAA to ensure a berth in the AAs, that's a sad commentary on the joke that is the selection process when a school goes 27-6 and STILL has to win their conference outright to have a shot at getting in.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 6, 2007 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Admist all the sorry overhyped Maryland blogs and the DC media's unabashed bias for UMD - I just wanted to say THANK YOU MASON!!!! GOOD LUCK HOYAS!!! GOOD LUCK COLONIALS!!!! GOOD LUCK WAHOOS!!!! GOOD LUCK HOKIES!!! GOOD LUCK RAMS!!!! GOOD LUCK MONARCHS!!! UMD - YOU'RE IN TIME OUT!!!

MASON: Thank you for a fantastic run in THIS YEAR's CAA Tourney. You have given us a lot to look foward to next year - with all starters returning - you should be a force.

And how about Larranaga!!!! I would take him as my coach over Gary "Stop P***ing In My Cheerios" Williams any day!!!! Coaches like Larranaga, JTIII and Hobbs - prove that you can actually be a nice guy and still coach winning programs.

Posted by: Mason Sensation | March 9, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse