Camille: Alive and (Mostly) Well; And Much More

Just arrived in the Georgia Dome, where our Georgetown Beat Woman Camille Powell has been slaving since 9:30. Her "favorite" (I think she was being sarcastic) part of the morning came while walking to the shuttle, when one cab driver saw her walk by and yelled, "Look, there's Jackie Chan's wife!" to another cab driver. Sports Journalism Big Timer and Friend of the Bog Grant Wahl fittingly walked up to Camille and asked, "Is your head ready to explode yet?"

Viewers of Washington Post Live will be pleased to know Camille has not eaten any chips (yet). She instead had a breakfast of a banana (see, not biased, Georgetown!) and a Krispy Kreme.

I just munched on some the media hospitality snacks, an excellent snack mix and some honey mustard pretzles. I'm going to go out on a limb and say those won't be last ones I eat this weekend. Just a hunch. And boy, I could really use a crumber to clean my area off. Prisbell and I discovered last night that the device used to clean crumbs off a table is called a crumber. I did not know that; did you?

Former WaPo college writer and The Man Whose Shoes I Filled Mark Schlabach just showed up, which summarily led to fantastic bog fodder. To wit:

"How's your bracket?" Schlabach asked Prisbell.

"Eh, not so good," he said.

"If the Buckeyes win," Schlabach said, "1,600." He later clarified, "Points, not dollars." But of course.

More Schlabach hilarity: "Do you want to go to the Georgia football scrimmage with me tomorrow morning?" he just asked both Prisbell and I. The Bog doesn't think Schlabach, a UGA grad and noted maven of all things SEC, was kidding. He then listed Matt Stafford as a Top 10 Heisman candidate. The Bog, again, does not think Schlabach was kidding.

More Southern fried hijinks: Prisbell and I engaged in a very important societal debate last night, and we need your help: I'ts 3 a.m., and you're hungry. On one wide side of the street is a Krystal ; on the other, a Waffle House. Which would you pick? We'll tally the votes, and whichever grease house wins is where we'll end up. Later, we'll divulge who picked Waffle House and who picked Krystal. Impassioned arguments aren't required, but appreciated. Let's setlte this once and for all.

By Adam Kilgore  |  March 30, 2007; 12:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kevin Durant, Greg Oden and Endless Meat
Next: We're Talkin' About Practice

Comments

gotta go waffle house.

when in rome...

Posted by: d, dc | March 30, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Waffle House is so superior it's not even worth discussing.

Posted by: JG | March 30, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Waffle House. not even close.

Posted by: John Taylor | March 30, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Is there anything better than grits at 3am at the Waffle House. No. The answer is no.

Posted by: Bubb Rubb | March 30, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Somebody's got to be a contrarian; ya gotta go with Krystal. Kilgore, on your beat through the hinterlands of Virginia, you can find plenty o' Waffle Houses. But Krystal, that looks too good to pass up!

Posted by: Stormy | March 30, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I gotta go wit hthe Waffles. They have to have at least one thing that won't make one's stomach twist into a new geometric shape.

Posted by: EricS | March 30, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Depends what kind fo state your in ...

I can see an argument for both, but I am going to have to go out on a limb and say I would devour me a whole ton of those little Krytals!

Those little onions that they put on the burgers just explode in your mouth like little flavor bombs!

Posted by: littles | March 30, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe this is even being asked, Casa de Waffle!! I can taste the memories now...mmmm bacon

Besides, nothing compares to White Castle burgers, so why taint your taste buds with anything inferior

Posted by: smothered and covered | March 30, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so I lived in Atlanta for 4 years, and was vegan the whole time. Obviously, most menu items at both WH and Krystal were off limits....

If its 3 AM, my vote is Waffle House.

Now, a different time might bring a different answer. I was once at a Krystals in Athens at around 4:30 AM after spending all night at Boneshakers ("Tin Roof! Rusted!") and a f'ed up house party. It was perfect.

Posted by: the cheat | March 30, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Waffle House!

Posted by: www.thebathtub.net | March 30, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

waffle house every time. smothered and covered baby.

Posted by: Marc aka MDG | March 30, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Waffle House, except if you are for some reason in a hurry to get somewhere at 3 AM. Then you make a quick run in to Krystal and inhale a burger. Otherwise, you settle in to a booth at the Hizzy and loosen your belt.

Posted by: Ghitza | March 30, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Waffle House -- no contest.

Posted by: yum | March 30, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

As a native of the town where the Krystal was born, my vote is squarely (like that?) with the Krystal.

I'll concede that the WaHo is a delicious place, but nothing (and I mean nothing) satisfies like a big ol' steaming Sackful of Krystals.

Posted by: Tennessee Curler | March 30, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Waffle House in a rout. If you've ever had a Patty Melt on Texas Toast around 3am you'd swear God himself made it. The South really has a way with deliciously unhealthy eats. Also...covered, smothered, and chunked with hot sauce.

Posted by: BlueberryRuffin | March 30, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Krystal is better. And Waffle house makes me, um, go to the bathroom a lot. Number 2.

Posted by: Max the Gator | March 30, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Waffle House, easily. Like a #2 seed over a #15 seed. And yes: covered, smothered, and chunked indeed, but with Tabasco to be precise.

Posted by: Reader Glenn | March 30, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

The exact same scenario happened with my friends and me on the way to Nashville for New Year's/ Pac Man Jones vs. the Patriots.

As always, take the Waffle House and find a restroom 20 mins later.

Posted by: smperk | March 30, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

By that time of night, soda doesn't cut it. I require coffee--lots and lots of it.
Ergo, I have to go with Waffle House.

Posted by: Mr. Pimp | March 30, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

WAFFLE HOUSE, hands down

Posted by: Mickey | March 30, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Krystal is much cooler than Waffle House if you're looking for something purely Southern. Really, it's just a confederate White Castle, but that works for me. My wife would rather eat there than the French Laundry.

Posted by: Kev | March 30, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Calling Krystal a Confederate White Castle is heresy, sir. White Castle is nothing more than a cheap Yankee impersonation of that fair Krystal burger!

I challenge you to a duel, sir!

Okay, that was kind of fun.

Posted by: Tennessee Curler | March 30, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

White Castle: Founded 1921

Krystal: Founded 1932

Now crappy restaurant is an impersonation of which? Duel over, you lose.

Posted by: Chris | March 30, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse