I Love Gary Williams

Hey, it occurs to me that this would be a good time for everyone to take another listen to "The Gary Williams Song," which is in the same category as "That's the Reason I'm a Bullets Fan" and Brendan Haywood rocking the Eastern Motors song, namely, "Things That Cannot Be Excessively Blogged." The lyrics of the song can be found here, and I won't be satisfied until that tune is as entrenched in your head as it is in mine.

I was reminded of this by The Redonkulous Linker, whom I'm not sure if I know, but whom I want to know. Do I know you, Mr. Linker?

Also, congrats to the guys from Gheorghe: The Blog, who were well ahead of the curve on VCU and were rewarded last night. Well done, gents. Eric Maynor made me shout, repeatedly, "He just won that game by himself," which is still a bit stunning 18 hours later. ODU has to be in, by the way. No question.

As for legendary Pithy Commenter Bill Fitzgerald, did you check out these two pithy comments from his blog?

6. Virginia Tech: This is the part of the roller coaster ride where Seth Greenberg gets off and throws up, and then he and his friends run and get in line to go on it again.

7. GW: Colonials now travel to the A-10 Tournament in Atlantic City, where, if they're smart, they'll buy a bag of lemons and try to find Susan Sarandon.

Well done to you, too, sir.

And lastly, my daughter was born on the 170th birthday of William Dean Howells, the 197th birthday of Chopin, the indeterminate birthday of Ralph Ellison and the 204th anniversary of Ohio statehood, all of which certainly means something. Thanks, dad, for those pieces of trivia. Carry on.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 6, 2007; 2:43 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Seth Greenberg's Kosher Korner, Etc.
Next: Welcome to Tampa

Comments

Fer Petes Sakes, dude, go cuddle yer kid! You make me feel guilty for thinking about the Gary Williams Song... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | March 6, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Ohio? Bad mojo.

Just pray that Ida doesn't sweat and/or smell like Gary when she's older.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | March 6, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Those are two pretty good Fitzgerald quotes but nothing tops his "Ghostbusters" and "Old Yeller" references. Awesome, totally awesome.

Posted by: Dave Richardson | March 6, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Linker checking in.

Unfortunately, I don't know the Bogmaster or anyone associated with the Bog, but I'm happy to be a part of the Bog nation. Congrats on the kid Dan.

Posted by: Redonkulous Linker | March 6, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Eric Maynor made us look real good last night. I think Doug Gottlieb wanted to marry him based on Gottlieb's post-game gushing.

Posted by: GTB | March 6, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Doug Gottlieb- Great Jewish point guard or Greatest Jewish point guard?

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | March 6, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

He certainly brought an edge, getting tossed from ND and all, plus he thought dressing like Kris Kross was a good thing, so I'm voting Dougie G.(J.P.)O.A.T.

Posted by: GTB | March 6, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

UM - Jordan Farmar?

I also aspire to, one day, write blog posts that are commented on by "some guy named Unsilent Majority" within 5 minutes of posting. How DOES Unsilent comment on these sports blogs so quickly? He must have a gift.

Posted by: Redonkulous Linker | March 6, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"I Love Gary Williams"! My favorite folk song ever!

You can move me into Comcast
Take me out of Cole
I'd still love Gary Williams
If I was a girl, I'd be his ho

Posted by: Lindemann | March 6, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

UM is omnipresent on any sports blog. And he also has a set up of 14 computers so he jumps from one to the other the entire time listening to Sinatra. At least thats what it looks like in my head.

Posted by: Marc aka MDG | March 6, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Those lyrics you linked to suck. The transcriptionist really couldn't figure out that the writer was referring to "Fridge fever," not "Fitch fever," whatever that is?

I think of all the semi-legal MP3s that I lost when my hard drive died, I miss "I Love Gary Williams" the most. RIP.

Posted by: Lindemann | March 6, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

The Eastern Motors themesong is finally online!

That may become my new ringtone.

Posted by: MDT | March 6, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm assuming that the very 1st commercial on your 3/19 BOGTV debut will be Brendan Todd's Eastern Motors clip. And that before long you'll have your very own Eastern Motors commercial. And can the Truman Show sequel starring your daughter be far behind?

Posted by: jhorstma | March 6, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't all discussions about Jewish point guards begin and end with Larry Brown?

Posted by: Cut by a Mohel | March 6, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Why was the Eastern Motors song my roommate's favourite song a few years ago?

Posted by: sitruc | March 6, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

I feel snobby for accidentally adding that "u" to favorite.
Next I drink Zima...

Posted by: sitruc | March 6, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

terp blog fans should add this one to their blogroll ... guy is off to a string start ... hopefully he keeps it up ...

Posted by: littles | March 6, 2007 11:49 PM | Report abuse

So you get the Atlantic City reference but you didn't get the Godfather cannoli line. Something out of whack there. Thanks for the link, Big Stein.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | March 6, 2007 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Will ida be filling out a bracket?ha!

Posted by: WGDC- | March 7, 2007 3:09 AM | Report abuse