John Thompson III buys Egg McMuffins

Here is something that I would've paid to see: Georgetown Coach John Thompson III standing in line at McDonald's earlier this week and asking to buy dozens of McMuffins.

Georgetown students camped out at McDonough Arena on Monday night in order to be first in line when tickets for the East regional games went on sale at 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday. You'll recall that they've done this before, last month when Big East tickets went on sale. This time, the most eager ones started queuing up around 2:30 p.m. on Monday, shortly after Kim Frank, the director of marketing and ticket operations, sent out an e-mail with ticket information.

(The athletic department acquired 1,250 tickets for the game, and it is up to the school to determine how they are allocated. From that pool of tickets, Frank and her staff have to take care of everyone from the coaches' and players' families to the big donors to the students. There are no comp tickets, she said. Roughly 15 percent of the tickets were set aside for students, who will be seated together inside Continental Airlines Arena.)

Anyway, Thompson wanted to do something nice for them.

"Our fans, our students, have been great since I've been here," Thompson said. "It might not be good for their health, but I stopped by McDonald's and brought a whole bunch of food for everyone. They seemed happy. To sit out there all night just to get a ticket to cheer us on, that means a lot."

Channeling the Bog, I asked Thompson what he bought.

"I had a smorgasbord," he said. "We had Egg McMuffins, we had Sausage McMuffins, and we had hotcakes and sausage."

By Camille Powell  |  March 21, 2007; 1:51 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: On Washington Post Live
Next: On Leslie Nielsen and BobbyBoswell.com

Comments

I heard that when the cashier asked Thompson whom he would give those sandwiches to, he replied, "Whoa, now, let's not get ahead of ourselves. First you've got to make the sandwiches, then I've got to load them into my car, then get into the car, then drive over to Georgetown, then get back out of the car before I can start unloading and handing them out. Let's take this one step at a time and not look too far ahead."

Posted by: jmc | March 21, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I heard that back when JT III was in high school he lost a Egg McMuffin eating contest to his father, which is why he was banished to that "other" school. Apparently JT III trained hard for several years and once he beat his father 3 years ago by consuming just over 100 Egg McMuffins in 15 mins; he was offered the head coaching job at Georgetown.

I also heard that JT III cut in front of Chuck Norris in line at the McDonalds.

Posted by: 3318 | March 21, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Way to go JTIII! Its always good to see a coach showing some signs of appreciation that goes beyond the customary "thank you" sound bite. My only criticism is he should have got them all McGriddles, the egg McMuffin is so 1980's.

Good Luck JTIII. (if you're reading)

Posted by: McGriddle Fan | March 21, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Can we settle this once and for all? JT3 does not use Roman Numerals!

Posted by: afronation | March 21, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Afronation - why do you say John Thompson III doesn't use roman numerals?

Please tell me you have some type of empirical evidence to prove this. I being a Fourth Generation son, use IV and I don't know anyone who is a third or fourth or fifth for that matter that doesn't use the roman numeral. the only time you see a numerical 3 or 4 or 5 after a name is when dealing with the people who can't understand that the roman numerals are not a part of the last name.

Posted by: Chill dude | March 21, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

about the whole JTIII doesn't use roman numerals discussion from above. If JTIII doesn't use roman numerals, than why does his official bio http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/thompsoniii_john00.html use a roman numeral. You think the AD, or whomever on the Hilltop manages that page, would disrespect their coach by putting roman numerals after his name? lets not be silly.

Posted by: One more note... | March 21, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Also, the 'we are georgetown' t-shirts that were created once JTIII became head coach has a big "III" on the back of it.

Posted by: candace | March 21, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I think Camille has Bogging talent that needs to be nurtured by the Bogging authorities.

Posted by: Lindemann | March 22, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Nothing new! Jim Larranaga brought donuts for students waiting by the Field House. Also I remember his wife handing out GMU t-shirts outside the MCI Center before the UConn game. This is what coaches do.

Posted by: Tauhidul Hoque | March 23, 2007 3:20 AM | Report abuse