Local Hoop Poll, Week 14

In the interest of continuity, the Atlantic 11 poll continues in Dan's absence. In the interest of expedience, we'll be without pithy comments (tho feel free to add them in the comments section.) Many thanks to the 58 voters who participated and to intern Boris for doing all the hard work to make this happen. Without further ado, the envelope please:

1. Georgetown (23-6) 563

9. Loyola, Md. (18-13) 75
-- done

10. American (16-14) 51
-- done

11. VMI (14-19) 30
-- oh, so close!

Others receiving votes: Towson 8, William & Mary 8, Navy 5, Liberty 4, Richmond 3, Howard 2, Morgan State 2, Coppin State 1, Hampton 1, James Madison 1, Maryland-Eastern Shore 1, Mount St. Mary's.

By Matthew Rennie  |  March 5, 2007; 5:56 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: All-ACC Team: Two Locals, No Surprises
Next: Seeding the locals

Comments

Here's a little pith for you:

Maryland
Terps win seventh in a row, Gary Williams reportedly recruiting sons of Keith Hernandez, Mookie Wilson and Lenny Dykstra.

Georgetown
When asked about Georgetown's chances for an NCAA berth, radio announcer Rich Chvotkin repilies, "Hoyas in! Hoyas in! Hoyas In! Hoyas in! Hoyas in!"

Read the rest at fitzfacts.com.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | March 5, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Maryland ahead of UVA. UVA only beat them twice, but a team must beat Maryland at least three times in one season for the Post to be sure.

Posted by: R Vaughan | March 5, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

My anger at Jeff Jone's is going to last for quite some time.

Posted by: KC in DC | March 5, 2007 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it is actually pretty good to see Maryland ahead of UVA. Considering Maryland has a top 10 RPI while Virginia can't even crack the top 40, that would seem quite appropriate. Enjoy your regular season co-championship; I'm sure that will look really great on on your 2007 banner next year.

Posted by: Shawn | March 5, 2007 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Virginia's RPI isnt their fault. Expected to finish #8, Virginia exceeded expectations for their team this year, so a co-championship is pretty darn good. Don't however, put their expectations up with Maryland this year. Maryland and Maryland fans are so quick to judge on Virginia. Look real hard at what's going on in Charlottesville. A new coach, new state of the art arena, all the pieces are being put in place to make Virginia a competitive basketball program again. If I were you Maryland, I'd enjoy your success while it lasts. Don't come crying when Virginia sweeps you again.

Posted by: T in VA | March 5, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm a UVa fan, and I think the Cavs deserve to be ranked behind Maryland despite the season sweep. Maryland won seven straight conference games to close out the regular season, while Virginia has lost to Miami and Wake in the last couple of weeks. If we're going to go strictly by head-to-head matchups, then ODU should be ranked ahead of Georgetown based on their early-season matchup.

Posted by: Eric Swensen | March 6, 2007 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Well, we have five "local" teams in the NCAAs now -- G'town, UMd, UVa, VT, and VCU. I guess the only drama remaining is whether GW can grab the auto bid and whether ODU gets an at-large. Go Monarchs.

Posted by: Odell Hodge | March 6, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

This is really an honest question and I am not trying to whine or make fun of anybody...

People who voted Maryland above Georgetown in their poll, or people who would have done so if they voted:

Do you think that Maryland should be above Georgetown in national polls as well?

Or...

Is your vote in this poll a result of the fact that Maryland was second and Georgetown was first last week and you thought Maryland's week should be reflected and Georgetown's loss should be, and that meant switching the two due to the thinness at the top of this poll, despite the fact that on a national scale Georgetown should still be considered the better team?

Posted by: Honest Question | March 6, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I like the fact that this poll is a little more responsive to the events of the previous week than the national poll. That said, I still would have voted for Georgetown above Maryland were I an A-11 Poll Voter(tm, I'm sure).

Posted by: Lindemann | March 6, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I voted Maryland ahead of Georgetown because I think Maryland is the better team right now.

Posted by: Markus V. | March 6, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

This voter is highly influenced by what's happened the last couple of weeks. Last week I had G'town #1, UMD #2, UVA #3, Tech #4 and ODU #5; and am on record as saying that the G'town loss to 'Cuse didn't cause me to loose faith in them but if UMD beat Dook and NC State I would re-think that order. This week I voted G'town and UMD as tied for No. 1 with UVA #3, Tech #4 and VCU #5.

My only ties to UMD are that my late grandfather graduated from the Pharmacy school in Baltimore in 1922 (the year after the merger of MAC and the professional schools named UMD so that hardly counts) and as an undergraduate I dated a couple of College Park girls; I also think Gary Williams is the best thing to happen to basketball at UMD since James Naismith nailed up the peach baskets at the Springfield Y.

Posted by: Dave Richardson | March 6, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

forget about Georgetown (still #1 to me) vs. Maryland or Maryland vs. Virginia, and let's talk about why the CAA keeps getting the shaft. how the hell did GW get back in front of ODU? and after Eric Maynor's performance last night, you have to put VCU ahead of whichever ACC team loses badly this week, don't you?

Posted by: jamie | March 6, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

The point is Georgetown is a solid team. Maryland is still living in the 2002 Championship year. Face it Maryland is hot because they need the booster money. Did you ever wonder why Rudy Gay didn't want to become a Terp. If given the choice i think he would have choice Gtown over MD.

And let's not forget GW .....(Maryland)

Posted by: BasketballLifestyle | March 6, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I voted Maryland over Georgetown by a very slim margin. Both have beaten several ranked teams, both have bad home losses (Miami, Old Dominion), and both have at least one impressive win streak, but beating North Carolina and Duke (at Duke) combined with Georgetown losing at Syracuse is enough for me. Whichever team has the better performance in conference tournament play will be number 1 next week and it could change again the following week after NCAA games. But what happens if both lose in the conference first round and GW wins the A-10?

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | March 6, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

My question put more simply...

For those people who voted Maryland above Georgetown in the Bog Poll, would you also place Maryland above Georgetown if you were filling out a national poll ballot?

There are two ways to rank teams in a local poll and I tried to reflect that in the two questions i posted above. Neither one is right or wrong, just curious how people think through their ballots.

Posted by: Honest Question...again | March 6, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

You have to vote Maryland over Georgetown if there's any room for doubt. You disrespect Maryland and you might find that someone's set your car on fire. What are ticked-off Georgetown fans going to do? Charge you excessive fees on your mutual funds?

Posted by: athea | March 6, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Wondering what Jeff Jones ever did to KC of DC? Amazing how a winning season, semi-final buzzer beater loss can be seen as unsuccessful at AU with small school resources?

GTOWN deserves the #1