Ok, Rank Em

I've always wanted to be in one of those pools where you have a snake draft for the NCAA field; eight people get eight teams each, and whoever winds up with the champion wins. Apparently something similar can be done with the Sweet 16 field. While waiting for someone to invite me into some such pool, here are my draft board rankings, led with my four Final Four teams, just in an attempt to show some measure of consistency. If seven bloggers volunteer to participate, we can have an eight-person snake draft in which we each get two teams, which would be fine by me. Or four people-four teams, I guess.

1. Florida
2. Georgetown
3. UCLA (Note: Pac-10 record on the first weekend over the past two seasons: 12-5. Big-10 record on the first weekend over the past two seasons: 9-11. Why do I always forget these things?)
4. Texas A&M
5. Kansas
6. North Carolina
7. Ohio State (Note: I had them losing to Xavier in three of my five pools. That ending shredded my heart into Heart Lo Mein. Threatened to ruin Saturday's action for me, until every other game wound up being so tremendous. But how was that not an intentional foul on Greg Oden? Bizarre. Also, it's worth pointing out that I had already composed about half of my entry pointing out how brilliant I am, and how much smarter I am than the Ohio State-loving Feinstein by the time Xavier blew the last sad vestiges of that lead.)
8. Oregon
9. Southern Illinois (Random fact: Non-BCS schools are 21-75 against BCS schools in the first round over the past four years. Go ahead, blame it on the hotels. My own view: BCS teams are better than non-BCS teams. But I still love the CAAZone. And non-BCS teams have gone 6-8 against BCS teams in the past two second rounds.)
10. Tennessee
11. Memphis (Note: For as long as I can remember, I've picked against C-USA schools early and often in the tournament. Like, I had Marquette going out in the second round in all my pools during the D-Wade year. That worked out well. I also had Memphis losing in the second round in all five of my pools this year, to either Creighton or Nevada. That worked out well, too.)
12. Southern Cal
13. Vandy (Note: I just love to death the end of this Vandy-WSU live blog by PhilipVU94: "Too exciting to blog." That, friends, is the new measure of sports excellence.)
14. Pitt
15. UNLV (Note: Some people, like Dan Shanoff, argue that there is wisdom in group think when it comes to tourney picks. Georgia Tech over UNLV was by far the most popular first-round upset in the washingtonpost.com tourney pool. That worked out well, too.)
16. Butler

Discuss, if you want, or just point out how much I'm biased against Georgetown. In a rare sop, I will agree with the Hoya persons who ask why the WaPo had no columnist with the Hoyas during the first two rounds. Despite my hopes for an all-Local Final Four, the Hoyas were obviously the best bet to go to Atlanta, and you'd have thought they'd have merited a Post columnist from day one. I can pretty much promise that the Hoyas will have a full-time blogger with them in Atlanta if they go.

Celeb Pool update: 1. Russ Thaler of Comcast SportsyNet (with whom I'll be chatting Live Online Monday). 2. Brent Harris of Comcast SportsyNet. 3. Antawn Jamison (whose picks I initially mocked, sorry man). 4. Josh Barr of Recruiting Insider. 5t. Miss DC (whose e-mail accepting entry into the pool read in part, "I'm sure to be an embarrassment, but always up for some fun!") and Michael Jenkins of Comcast SportsyNet, whom I recently raced while wearing a Giant Racing President costume. Last place: three-way tie between Rock Cartwright, JP of the Junkies and Ben Olsen.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 18, 2007; 10:19 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Virginia Wins, Pete Gillen Interviews, The NCAA Screws Up
Next: Final word on Buffalo

Comments

I don't know whats worse. The fact that you posted this at 10:19 pm on a sunday or that I read it at 10:34 that very same sunday. Good luck tomorrow.

Posted by: Marc aka MDG | March 18, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know the ACC's record of the first weekend over the past two years? Kind of surprised that only UNC is left, despite having the most teams in the tournament. Is the ACC overrated or really difficult, making the teams tired by the time the tournament begins?

Posted by: 10:42 pm, Sunday | March 18, 2007 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I just read a portion of the article about Blatche. I don't know why in the world Eddie Jordan doesn't play this kid more. And why it is that Jordan placed Blatche on the inactive list against Indiana woud lead a sane person to suspect that Jordan had lost his mind. Blatche's performance against NO/Oklahoma City the very next game is proof positive that Jordan has lost his mind. I admit that I don't have any insider information about what's going on behind the scenes but the way Jordan treats this kid seems unreasonable to me. Be that as it may, if I were Blatche, when it came time to sign a new contract, I'd be on the first thing smoking out of the District if Jordan were still the coach of the Wizards. I'm sure there are any number of teams that would love to have a kid with Blatche's ability playing 30 minutes a night for them.

Posted by: melwdc | March 18, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

You were right the first tiem the ACC is overrated.

Posted by: Peter Keszler | March 18, 2007 11:45 PM | Report abuse

What about Looly Wise's bracket?!

Posted by: WGDC- | March 19, 2007 12:44 AM | Report abuse

There's got to be a video of the Giant President race. If there ever was video footage that belongs on the Bog, that is it.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | March 19, 2007 2:22 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the honesty regarding the WaPo's failure to have a columnist covering the Hoyas the first two rounds. That's sad. The Post really has to do a lot more to properly cover them both in the post-season and during the regular season. I was on a Hoya fan site tonight and people were by and large saying the two best papers for Hoya coverage are the WaTimes and the NY Post. That's even sadder - the WaPo is getting beat out by the WaTimes and a paper that is 4 hours away from DC in NY.

Posted by: Peter D | March 19, 2007 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Hoyas have been on the back page (front of the Sports section) of both the Daily News and the NY Post routinely since the start of the Big East tourney. Both papers featured them on Sunday, with full spread photos of the Hoyas and, in the Post's case, two articles. Let's face it: New York is more of a Hoya town then DC. While it's entertaining to poke Steinberg in the ribs occasionally, it's obviously not his fault and he takes the ribbing like a sport (dry those tears, Dan, dry those tears).

Posted by: Geoff | March 19, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

there is indeed video of the racing presidents ... you can see it tomorrow (tuesday) on washington post live ...

Posted by: littles | March 19, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

The Washington Post's coverage of the Hoyas is generally pathetic. Hoya fans should not be surprised at all given the general UMd bias. I wouldn't be surprised if the Post sent a writer to College Park to cover UMd's plans for next season rather than the Hoyas' Sweet Sixteen game against Vandy on Friday. Still, I don't care. As long as we keep winning, the Washington Post will eventually have to send a columnist. Go Hoyas!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Donald | March 19, 2007 9:43 AM | Report abuse

There is video of the race and I must say the camera man was extremely talented and good looking... and single.

Posted by: Marc aka MDG | March 19, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Someone said that Tom Boswell had credentials for the Winston-Salem games, but never showed, is that true?

Posted by: Chris | March 19, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I don't think I can post a pic on here, but check out this pic

This is seconds before Oden gets his 5th foul. Notice David Lighty already on the ground after being tackled form behind while trying to shoot. Not to mention the arm bar that Duncan has Oden in.

To call a flagrant foul(not intentional, of course it was intentional, there was 10 seconds left in the game and OSU trailed) after not calling anything on Xavier in that sequence would have been ludicrous . You could argue what Duncan is doing should be called a flagrant. Oden had to use a lot of strength to get out of 1/2 chicken wing in order to foul Cage. It wasn't flagrant, just the result of trying to get out of a wrestling move in which the force needed to do so was transorted when Oden knew a quick foul was needed.

After seeing that pic, do you still agree Oden should have been given a flagrant?

Posted by: Steve M | March 19, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe you don't have Georgetown ranked #1, Dan. Why do you hate the Hoyas so much? It's because Joakim Noah has famous parents, isn't it? Maybe if Georgetown had more celebrity connections, they'd get more respect, huh?

:-)

Posted by: Josh | March 19, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I agree that New York is much more of a Georgetown town than DC, but it's also much more of a Big East town in general. They have St. Johns, Syracuse and UConn in close proximity. Georgetown has more alums living up there than in DC, so it makes sense. I do have a question for Steinberg, though. First off, I think your column gives The Hoyas a relatively fair amount of coverage, especially for a guy who grew up in an ACC family. But any theories on why the Post has historically not ignored Georgetown, but given it inferior coverage? Is there just a bigger media market for Maryland because of its size? Or is it because, until last year, Georgetown hasn't been a threat since '96? Maybe if we saw a Hoyas/Terps match up in the near future, things would balance out. Let's hope it happens.

Posted by: jmc | March 19, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

"Non-BCS schools are 21-75 against BCS schools in the first round over the past four years. . . . My own view: BCS teams are better than non-BCS teams. But I still love the CAAZone. And non-BCS teams have gone 6-8 against BCS teams in the past two second rounds."

But no-one is arguing that the Northeast Conf. has better teams. You could make a case if you eliminated all the teams from one bid leagues from your results. Against these teams, the BCS teams went 22-11 in the first round over the past four years and 3-6 in the past two second rounds.

Posted by: Fee | March 19, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

1) Oden's foul was flagrant. Tugging on someone's arm while going for a rebound strikes me as a different thing. And even if that should have been flagrant too, that doesn't change the fact that Oden's foul was flagrant.

2) Ok, Fee, well put. My only point is, if I have to pick in a pool between a BCS school and a non-BCS school, I'm going BCS nine times out of 10. Of course, I had Virginia Tech in the Elite 8, so feel free to ignore me.

3) Not sure about first weekend, but ACC's first round record over the last two years is 9-2.

4) JMC, what does this mean: "especially for a guy who grew up in an ACC family." Were you just joking? My mom went to Illinois and my dad went to Johns Hopkins. Neither could name the entire ACC if you gave them a million gazillion dollars.

5) JMC, the easiest answer is, when we ask readers what they want to read about, they say the Redskins first, and Maryland basketball second, and then a bunch of other stuff, and then Georgetown. We have to marry that with our news judgment and then have faith in what that produces.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | March 19, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough on the Maryland comment, makes sense. And, as I showed the other day with Powell's post, I just realized that this blog was written by people other than you as well. I think I read the ACC thing about another blogger? (Or somewhere else entirely: my fact checking is wanting.)

Posted by: jmc | March 19, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

How does the local 11 voters' pool look?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 19, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

jmc,

You're right, Camille was the one who posted about growing up in an ACC family.

Posted by: Chris | March 19, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse