On Washington Post Live

Dan Steinberg here.

Do you care what I think about Washington Post Live, our exciting new venture into the world of boring live TV talk shows? No, you do not. How do I know this? Because of my seven phone numbers and 14 e-mail addresses and multiple blog comment spaces, I've received a total of maybe 20 responses about the first two days of the show, 15 of which were mostly indifferent, four of which were negative, and one of which made me want to jump off a bridge. But since I'm spending all my paternity leave driving back and forth to Bethesda and thinking about my next career move, I have nothing else to write about right now. Yes, that's right, we're slaying the Bog in order to make me look bad on TV. Awesome.

Anyhow, some notes:

Personal highlight: Our makeup lady, Kim, told me yesterday that if I keep appearing on TV I might want to consider something called thermage, which involves lasers beating on the bags under your eyes until they explode or something like that. Seriously, Kim is very nice, but I should have just left the building at that point. Then my friends at Comcast SportsyNet broadcast a clip of Kim applying my makeup. Thanks, friends. Appreciate it. I've said many times that my only TV goal was not to completely humiliate myself, and I already failed on Day Two. Oh, and Kim also told me I needed to shave.

Viewing highlight: When host Russ Thaler paused yesterday to say something like, "I still can't believe we have Robert Novak on our set." I mean, I love Russ, but it's not like it was the Pope, or, a Geico caveman, or someone really important like that. It was Robert Novak. Robert Novak has blabbed on every television station ever created. And even if you're impressed with your guests, you have to pretend you're not. You just can't appear sad and striving. Like, last night I interviewed Leslie Nielsen at a party featuring the Stanley Cup. A bad question would have been, "Oh my God, I can't believe I'm interviewing Leslie Nielsen." A better question would have been, "What's older, you or the Stanley Cup?" Although Leslie Nielsen answered that question with something about the Canadian premiership, which I didn't exactly understand.

Best line I never used: Yesterday I made reference to George Washington's Farewell Address. I wanted to add, "an event Bob Novak actually covered for The Post," but I chickened out. Two demerits for me. Anyhow, when I started quoting George Washington, my colleagues looked at me like I had Bloody Mary-flavored celery stalks growing out of my ears, so I just tried to wrap that bit up as quickly as possible.

Best way to suck up to Georgetown and GW fans: As I've said all along, I have no strong feelings about any local schools, but I found myself filled with that lower NW D.C. sense of slight yesterday, when the show featured three special guests talking about Maryland basketball and zero special guests talking about Georgetown's men or GW's women, both of which are in the Sweet 16. For counting purposes, let's note that Maryland has a combined zero teams in the Sweet 16. The Colonial women wouldn't even have been mentioned once yesterday had I not snuck in a quick reference right at the end of the show. Please, someone, book Joe McKeown as soon as possible.

[Edit: I've just been informed that Joe McKeown will be live on set today. So I take it all back.]

Wardrobe highlight: I kept telling the Comcast SportsyNet execs that I would look dumb without a suit on, that I would look sloppy and immature and stupid. They disagreed, arguing that I had to look like me. So for two days, I've looked like me. And then people started writing in to tell me I looked sloppy and immature and stupid. Including my wife. Anyhow, I don't own any suits that fit, so don't expect a change if you watch today, which you won't.

Most optimistic thought: I realized during yesterday's show that if I just start enthusiastically cursing on set one of these days, they'll have no choice but to kick me off, and then I can get back to writing summaries of Gilbert Arenas's blog.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 21, 2007; 1:14 PM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: This year's Florida
Next: John Thompson III buys Egg McMuffins

Comments

I have decided that you have a great voice for blogging.

Posted by: dh39 | March 21, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I watched most of the episode the first night. I didn't have a chance to see it last night. At parts the show is really great and kinda funny, and at other parts the show is painfully dragging on. That's comcast's fault for making it an hour and a half show. And I think you should continue to go sans suit but + backwards hat/fedora. That is you, Steinz! If it's any consolation, my mother said you looked like "a cute little boy."

Posted by: Ian | March 21, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

A lot of bog readers live outside of the Washington area so we don't get to see your TV show. We do, however, note that your replacements are basically ignoring the sports bog, with 1 or 2 posts per day max.

Posted by: JG | March 21, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Two days in a row I forgot to set the DVR. Who has a YouTube clip?

Posted by: Redonkulous Linker | March 21, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Agent Steinz, I will be in town next week and will therefore have the opportunity to revel in your visage, broadcast upon the airwaves.

Oh wait, I mean I'm gonna have to find a bar that carries WPL or carry my laptop and try to pirate a wireless signal. Hmmmmm.

Posted by: Edward OP | March 21, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

What is it with Post reporters obsession with telling everyone in print all the funny things they wish they'd said on television? You and Tony K are like Costanza chasing that guy around trying to use the "Jerk store" retort.

Posted by: afronation | March 21, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, I had no idea this thing had even started. You guys need to do a better job promoting this. I'll start tivoing it tomorrow and then I'll chime in on how bad you are like everyone else.

Posted by: leafblower | March 21, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Well in my eyes the best part of the show is the 5 minute Bog TV segment and not just because I was on it last night. (I didn't like that you could here me laughing while filming) Believe me I think Littles and Beenie are doing a great job but the same stuff comes out of the guests as on any talk radio and TV show with writers.

At least you got in the giant head dig at Tony K.

For the record Mike Wise has the shiniest head.

Posted by: Marc aka MDG | March 21, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Dan
i saw the show on Monday. i think first of all Wise needs to dress his age. He should consider going on the show:
"What not to wear"
Why does Wise try to be 'ultra chic' and swank?
He's on a talk show not American Idol, so he should wear a suit and tie - as should you. Wise should dress his age, he is what 40? why does he tr to dress like a 22 yr old going out to a club like 'Play'

Also the show seems to have a lot of fluff

Posted by: James | March 21, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"And this is what Dan Steinberg brings to the show"

Posted by: Bob | March 21, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Dan, sorry I missed yesterday's show, but I was on a near-deathbed. Or more accurately, a near-deathcouch.

But there were many aspects of the first show that I liked. Including Emilio explaining (backpedaling) about sports coverage.

The most important thing, though was that neither you, Wise, or Boswell took yourselves too seriously.

And Jason Campbell is the one of the worst interviews in sports history. That includes any dead athletes.

Posted by: Kim | March 21, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

OMG, Leslie Nielsen was there?!? Now I'm really jealous about the embassy party!

Posted by: DC Sports Chick | March 21, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry! I guess I just sorta thought a superstar like yourself doesn't need feedback and ego massaging, but now that I think about it... I guess I should've said something other than on my blog that you don't have time to read these days ;-) Thanks for the shoutout! I, of course, thought that was the best part, but then again, I haven't seen last night's yet and the presidents race stuff will probably trump my own 5 seconds of fame.

Posted by: misschatter | March 21, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute ... we get makeup on this show? Awesome!

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | March 21, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

bring back HTS!

Posted by: chimprage | March 21, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell is black??!!!!
If you wanna get that show killed Agent Bog, just invite wizznutzz on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Darvin Ham | March 21, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

A couple of comments about WPL:

1) Steinz, I think you need to speak clearer and project more. I don't really know what "project" means in this context, but it sounds like a good TV thing to say.

2) I don't really care what anyone wears or if they shave or not. If I like the content, guests, and conversation, I'll watch it.

3) So did I like the show? It was a bit awkward in places, but I'd give it a 7.0--and that's based on just the first night, which means it will probably get better (I turned it off at 5:05 after I didn't see Dan's shiny head anywhere. Ego boost delivered.).

4) How is it that Ovie was quoted in yesterday's Post but couldn't talk on Monday night? Did he draw little stick figures for Tarik?

Posted by: Reader Glenn | March 21, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I caught the show, and do in fact like it. The Bog TV is excellent. And the fact that people are self-deprecating is very funny.

WPL is cool, just like '24', but without the Nukes and Jack Bauer.

Posted by: Blackaces | March 21, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I get the feeling Ovy didn't wantto be seen on the tube with a bunch of thread in his lip. I completely understand as that's probably not a pleasent sight. I would also agree that you should bring the fedora back Dan. It was definately something unique to you and I thought it looked good on you. Hopefully you will all get some time to let the program find its way before it gets canned.

Posted by: EricS | March 21, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

re ep 1:
internet explorer?

also, when in the show is bog tv? 1.5 hours is too long for me to watch the whole thing, had to stop around 45 min in.

Posted by: kwamebrownsucks | March 21, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

BogTV is usually towards the end of the show (after 6 pm) ...

and it won't always be a daily thing (although it has been this week) ...

we're going to do as much stuff as possible ...

tomorrow on BogTV we hear from some of the participants in our celebrity bracket challenge!

and don't forget that the premier of Blog Show with Agent Steinz and Jamie Mottram (Mr Irrelevant) is this Friday at 6 pm!!!

Keep the comments coming ... we like hearing feedback (at least this LACKEY does)

Posted by: littles | March 21, 2007 7:04 PM | Report abuse

If the Post quits this blog in hopes of trying to make you a TV star, Emilio's name is coming off of the list of potential candidates to take the ESPN.com EIC list.

Cause that would be a dumb move.

Posted by: TBL | March 21, 2007 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I've seen all of 10 seconds of the show. The one day I had time for TV and was home, my roommate that is entirely disinterested in sports was watching Discovery HD already. I feel like the time slot is your biggest foe.

Well, that and reticent journalists.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | March 21, 2007 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Stein you suck. If you don't want to be on the show, then just stop appearing. You're not funny anyways + a dork who BLOGS.

Posted by: Jim Hrivnak | March 21, 2007 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the support, Jim Hrivnak. Believe me, I placed a call to my editor last night saying he needed to get me off the show asap, but sometimes it's not that simple. Do you have a boss, Jim Hrivnak? Has he or she ever made you do anything you didn't want to do? Like, for example, use regular writing styles but then suddenly BUST OUT THE CAPS?

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | March 21, 2007 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh Snap, Steinbog is using the caps!

Posted by: Blackaces | March 21, 2007 10:52 PM | Report abuse

James-

Are you related to Melissa&Joan Rivers?

In 2 words-shut up!

Posted by: WGDC- | March 21, 2007 11:48 PM | Report abuse

I enjoyed the first show a lot. I thought the hour and a half deal would be long, but there seemed to be plenty to talk about.

I also enjoyed the keyboard in your lap Dan. Will that be utilized when I'm on?

Posted by: Awful Announcing | March 22, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

enjoyed washington quotes, havent watched since...guys in suits were wooden and jejune...keep with it...buy your child those fluorescent pink gil zeros...

Posted by: CreditZard | March 22, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Got home uncharacteristically early yesterday and caught you on the show.

Friends will tell you the truth straight out, so chalk me up as a friend:

On TV you are potentially very interesting and funny. But you are hamstrung. That closing bit about "what do you say about that?" or whatever was *lame.* You and the other guests aren't given enough to interact and speak extemporaneously, which I've no doubt would be a good format for you. Just answering questions from a too-rigid, too-un-ESPN_fun guy, is too, um, boring.

I *loved* it when you said we needed a new closing bit. See, that's edgy and bog-like -- like those self-referential digs Letterman does about NBC.

I loved the Stanley Cup piece -- but, hey, see, that was you getting to kick it with some people without some lame, corporate structure superimposed.

Someone's got to let you guys talk more, have less control from the host, and let the stuff get more real casual and less forced casual.

It's not you. It's the show.

"but it's not like it was the Pope, or, a Geico caveman, or someone really important like that" LOL!

Posted by: Nancy | March 22, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Given Steinbizzle's frequent self-deprecation on the Bog, I was pleasantly surprised at how entertaining BogTV was yesterdizzle. Fo rizzle.

Posted by: Lindemann | March 22, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

This show is 90% fluff and 10% sports news. What's up with the constant talk of food anyways?

Posted by: Dom | March 27, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse