The Committee Loves the Local Poll
Dan Steinberg here.
Is there any doubt we have fans inside the Committee? At this point, you gotta figure the Committee members were spending half of their sequestered time reading the Bog and trying to figure out how best to please the Local voters. And please us they did. Check this out.
1) Seven Local teams made the field: Georgetown, Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech, George Washington, VCU and Old Dominion. Those seven teams occupied the Top Seven spots of the Local Poll every week besides one, when George Mason briefly crept ahead of Old Dominion. I cannot wait until tomorrow afternoon's rankings come out, so we can see how the Local voters differ from the seed makers. Cannot wait. Like, I might not be able to sleep tonight. Although that might be due to the wailing baby.
2) Just to put that last one in perspective, if my math is correct, Poll-eligible teams earned a TOTAL of seven bids over the past three seasons. And now we have seven in the Poll's inaugural year? Remarkable.
3) Those jokesters on the committee sent an astounding three Local teams to Buffalo, my hometown. Maryland, Old Dominion and VCU, all 45 minutes away from my parents' house? And I can't go?
4) Remember how some voter (Marc Gallant?) kept calling the CAA "ACC-Lite" this season? Well, now we get to find out, don't we? First round: VCU-Duke. Possible second round: ODU-Maryland. You can't spell ACC without a C and an A, although there are some issues with that third letter. But this is really too much, and again, I give thanks.
5) Oh, ODU-Maryland isn't good enough? Tell me it didn't take you more than 0.000000001 seconds to start looking forward to Georgetown-GW in the Sweet 16. Would GWHoops.com crash or what? Beer pong battle on Pennsylvania Avenue? McFadden's vs. The Tombs? The Giant Hippo vs. that Hoya dude who dressed like a parrot? I would personally request a 24-page special section previewing this game. And that Poll voter (Andrew Wiseman?) whose Georgetown comment every single week was "Please Play GW" would jump off the Key Bridge with joy. As would I, frankly.
6) Local Poll voter and Bog author Adam Kilgore gets to cover both Virginia AND Virginia Tech at the same tournament site? Post accountants say thanks.
7) Bog friend and Official GW beat writer Marc Carig gets to go home to Northern California with the Sacramento-bound Colonials? Post accountants say thanks.
8) You know, you could actually fill out a non-joking bracket with a Final Four of Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Georgetown. That'd be a 4, 4, 5 and 2 seed. We've seen crazier than that, for sure. Would that be the most Bog-friendly sporting event in history? Likely yes, at least until Gilbert Arenas buys a stake of D.C. United.
9) As an aside, Official Nats Beat Writer Barry Svrluga has promised us an Austin Kearns bracket for our celebrity bracket madness. And I think I might get a player from the Washington Glory, too.
10) When I'm a 94-year-old guy in a senior citizen's home, will I still get out a scrap of paper, and, with pounding heart and sweating palms, scribble out the tournament field before immediately dedicating the next 72 hours to staring at said piece of paper? And will a 124-year old Greg Gumbel still guide me through that journey? I've spent Selection Sunday with a pizza-eating John Feinstein, and in the Bowie State AD's office, and at home with a 10-day-old baby, and all have been tremendous.
The comments to this entry are closed.