Vasquez on revenge

Greivis Vasquez, Maryland's freshman point guard, told me three losses this season stick out in his mind: Miami, Boston College and Notre Dame. If Maryland beats Miami tomorrow, they'll face Boston College, a scenario Vasquez called "beautiful."

He also wants Notre Dame in the NCAA tournament.

"Hopefully we'll see Notre Dame in the tournament," he said. "I'm being serious. I want them in the tournament. It's something I got that is personal. I don't want them to think that they are better than us. We didn't play our best. Now we're playing our best."

By Eric Prisbell  |  March 7, 2007; 1:27 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Welcome to New York
Next: Feel The Excitement!!!

Comments

As a Maryland student and fan, I love his fireyness (I know that's not a word), but I hope Vasquez doesn't eat his words a-la Gilbert Arenas and Portland.

Posted by: James | March 7, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Keyser Soze!

Posted by: Markus V. | March 7, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Vasquez is a joke. I learned everything I need to know about him from the Maryland/American game in December, when Vasquez pumped his fist and pointed at the opposing bench ... to celebrate a 10-foot jumper ... while his team trailed by 3 ... to a Patriot League school. Hopefully Gerald Henderson finds Vasquez next.

Posted by: EMS | March 7, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Vasquez > everything except Gary.

Posted by: Markus V. | March 7, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

EMS, I think I learned all I need to know about Vasquez when he nailed two treys near the end of the first half at Cameron and stared down the Crazies, then completely shut them up by putting up 13/12/9. Vasquez would wipe the floor with Henderson... oh wait, he already did that to the entire team.

Posted by: G-Dub | March 7, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

There's a time and place for everything and his arrogance does not belong on a college basketball court. Guys like that get theirs more often than not. Shut Up and Play.

Posted by: BoilerRoom | March 7, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

What arrogance? He wants to beat the teams that his team lost to. He enjoys it when he's playing well.

Posted by: Lindemann | March 7, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Talk smack AFTER the game.

Why say something that's just going to end up on the other team's bulletin board?

Posted by: Natsman | March 7, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

EMS,

Gerald Henderson? You mean the 6 pts per game guy you have on your bench - THAT Gerald Henderson?

He might fare better on the Duke football team.

Although Rosie O'Donnell could probably help out as much if she played for the f'ball team.

Posted by: Preview Submit | March 7, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait for the day where robots can just play the game without any emotion and we can just focus on the beauty of the game. Damn these humans showing enthusiasm!

Posted by: Jonathan | March 7, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Some people play with a passion for the game no matter who their opponent. I guess it's hard for some people to understand that. Yes players get amped up for certain games(Duke in particular) but in any game once you get going you just play. You don't think in your head what team it is.

Wishing somebody's nose to be broken on a basketball court shows what kind of class you have EMS.

Posted by: Justin(DC) | March 7, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I agree completely with Jonathan, humans really have ruined the beautiful game of basketball.

Posted by: Chris | March 7, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Its about time Maryland had a player who was passionate about the game, could back up his talk with his play, and is not a head case. Who was the last Terp who had all three attributes?

Posted by: Eric | March 7, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

the last starter with that much fire has to be Myron Mouton.

Posted by: heathdog | March 7, 2007 7:20 PM | Report abuse

You do mean Byron Mouton right?

Posted by: Laura | March 8, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse