Welcome to Tampa

Good morning, Tampa. City was great last night except for, well, there was no form of life on the streets. Hopefully fans will show today ... Now we know why Jerry Palm kept putting Wright State in his bracket.

Adam Kilgore and I will be providing updates on ACC practices throughout the day. You're never quite sure what you're going to see during one of these days. Last year, Gary Williams held court on the court with a few ACC officials and a few writers. He went on and on and on about RPI and the Missouri Valley Conference and it was quite interesting. This year, his team has a chance to win this thing so I don't see that happening.

A) Question: Maryland will play anywhere between 2 and 10 more games this season. My over/under is 5. Who says over? Who says under?

B) This year's NCAA tournament seems all about answering questions, such as:

1) Who is this year's Florida: Maryland, Louisville, Arizona
2) Who is this year's George Mason: (Real answer: no one) Winthrop
3) Who is this year's Utah State/Air Force: UMass
4) Who is this year's UConn: North Carolina
5) Who is this year's Northwestern State: Texas A&M CC
6) Who is this year's Missouri State: Missouri State
7) Who is this year's national champion: Kansas

Translation
1) talented team that gets hot at the right time to make a Final Four run
2) poor-seeded mid-major that can upset some marquee teams
3) team that could make it but has no business making the field
4) ultra-talented, yet over-hyped team that doesn't quite mesh and gets ousted
5) a true upset pick that isn't quite as trendy as Winthrop yet.
6) team with solid credentials that could get snubbed
7) the champ

By Eric Prisbell  |  March 7, 2007; 8:22 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: I Love Gary Williams
Next: Welcome to New York

Comments

I say OVER... 3-4 games in ACC tourney + 2-3 games in Tourney.

Posted by: Terp99 | March 7, 2007 8:37 AM | Report abuse

even though i hate duke almost more than i do nazis, this will be the first year in ages that i dont pick them to make the final four

i bet the twerps win 2 ACC and maybe 2 NCAA tourney games, although i'd like to be wrong

and the sleeper this year isn't winthorp, it's billy ray valentine!

Posted by: thigh master | March 7, 2007 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Under,I think 4. ACCT - MD beats Miami, BC, loses to UNC. Tourney - MD reaches sweet 16. I'd love to be wrong though.

Posted by: kwamebrownsucks | March 7, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

kwame: You picked over. In that scenario they play 6 games, but only win 4.

Posted by: PP | March 7, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Snub team - ODU

Posted by: Rob Iola | March 7, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Maryland plays four more, going 1-1 in both tourneys.

Posted by: Ghitza | March 7, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

OK, I'll bite... Why do you think that UMass has "no business" making the field? I agree that they're not a perfect at-large candidate this season, but I actually think that the opposite of what you're saying is true. They're a good team that probably won't make the field.

They only have 1 very good win (at Louisville), and they've dropped a lot of chances at others (BC, Xavier, Kentucky). Have 3 poor losses (Miami, Rhode Island, Temple). 55 RPI is on the cusp - but this is a pretty good team if you watch them play. Very strong inside, good young coach and peaking at the right time. I make them a slight favorite to win the tourney in AC this weekend - and I'm a Xavier alum picking against my school (who have won 8 straight).

And this blanket slamming of the A10 as "just a one bid league" is getting a little over the top, if you ask me (no one did). Let's not confuse the league with the Atlantic Sun. The A10 has more RPI top 100 schools this season than the MVC, WAC and Mountain West. Doesn't mean that anyone else but Xavier will get in, but also means it's not all Little Sister's of the Poor.

Posted by: Kev | March 7, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Under. 2 in ACC, losing to BC. 2 in tourney.

Posted by: Ryan | March 7, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Over...3 in ACC, 3 in NCAA

Posted by: Laura | March 7, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Push (If I have to pick I go over though). 3 in the ACC, 2 in the Dance.

While Maryland is the hottest team in the ACC right now (or was a week ago), The idea that they will play for basically 2 straight months with only 1 or less losses just won't happen.

Posted by: J Jones | March 7, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

where in tampa are you staying? if it is around the st pete times forum (which will always be the ice palace to me) you won't find a whole lot going on around downtown tampa.

Posted by: ski | March 7, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

i thought we were counting wins. corrected: 6 games, over.

Posted by: kwamebrownsucks at reading | March 7, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Maryland will win the ACC tournament.

Arizona will win the NCAA! Reminiscent of '97 baby!

Posted by: Patty | March 7, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse