What Rocks, Booing Duke, and Dr. Chvotkin

My three favorite moments, in chronological order, from the 15 hours I spent inside the LJVMC, subsisting on popcorn and Dove Bars, on Thursday:

[ONE]
With 8 minutes 22 seconds remaining in Georgetown's win over Belmont, the Hoyas led, 58-33, and their fans started chanting, "Where is Belmont?" (It's in Nashville.) Without missing a beat, the Belmont fans responded with, "What's a Hoya?" (Steinberg, care to answer?) Even the Georgetown fans seemed to appreciate the quick comeback. Barker Davis explains the Latin.

[TWO]
Right after the Michigan State-Marquette game ended, the fans in the arena stood up and stared at the jumbotron, which had the scores of the games in the other regions. Any time the Duke-VCU score was posted during the game, the crowd responded with either big cheers (if VCU was winning) or resounding boos (if the Blue Devils were up). But now, the score was stuck on ": 15 VCU 77, Duke 75" for what seemed to be a couple of minutes.

Finally, the P.A. announcer started reading off the final scores from other regions. Naturally, he began with Ohio State, moved on to UCLA, and then finally revealed, "VCU 79, Duke 77." The crowd, as they say, went wild. (Blog friend Grant Wahl reports that there was a corresponding big cheer in the press room. That's a no-no.) I was on press row, where I had Eric Montross--now an analyst with UNC radio--sitting to my left, and Jay Bilas--doing the game for CBS--a couple seats down on my right. Bilas was impassive. Montross was grinning, maybe even laughing.

[THREE]
After the Michigan State press conference ended, a couple of out-of-town reporters started to discuss the gruesome injury suffered by Spartan sophomore center Idong Ibok. Coach Tom Izzo never said what exactly the injury was, so one reporter wondered aloud if there was an official name for what had happened.

Enter Evan Chvotkin, the 28-year old son of the longtime Georgetown radio announcer. According to Evan, who had the play happen right in front of his seat on press row, Ibok hyperextended his left elbow, which was then compounded by his olecranon popping out of the humerus. (I actually had Evan write all that down in my notebook, because I certainly couldn't spell some of those words.)

Anyway, the reporters seemed satisfied with the injury report from the radio producer. It should be noted, however, that when Evan isn't carting around all of his father's gear and basically keeping Rich in line, he is an MRI technologist for Washington Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine. Evan says that he is applying to medical school, and he's already started doling out advice. He said that he noticed that Brett Haber was limping earlier in the day, so he recommended a cortisone shot. Maybe for his next trick, Evan can diagnose Prisbell's knee injury.

By Camille Powell  |  March 16, 2007; 9:48 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: VCU and the Locals
Next: James Richard Getting Loose

Comments

Gotta say, watching the last couple of mintues of the Duke game, it felt like chistmas morning. And when Maynor made the shot with 1.8 secs left on the clock, it was like opening that "big" christmas present. Always a good day when Duke loses.

Go TERPS!!!

Posted by: Laura | March 16, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Is this a new high for Duke hating nationwide? Was watching in a bar last night (standing next to Mike Mardesich, btw - name drop!) and it's Maryland, but even I was surprised to see EVERYONE (except the 4 Duke fans) go wild at the buzzer.

Did the Henderson elbow push the hatred even further? I can never stand them, but it seems to be on the rise. Possibly people just wanting to kick them when they're down.

Posted by: Kev | March 16, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I recall last week on a Terp message board, there seemed to be more interest in Duke losing to N.C. State than in Maryland losing to Miami. It's become a ridiculous obsession.

Posted by: Vincent | March 16, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Love the Christmas morning reference!

Not only was it fun to watch Duke go down, but VCU played the best D I have seen in a long time. Overall, it was a very fun game to watch.

Posted by: B | March 16, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I heard that Evan delivered Ida.

Posted by: The Stork | March 16, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Hoya is, in fact, what. So we're the Georgetown whats...We should have been the Saxas.

Posted by: jmc | March 16, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

And Steinberg, not that we have high expectations of you or anything, but it's Greek and not Latin.

Posted by: jmc89 | March 16, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

It's actually both Greek AND Latin:

Posted by: Juan-John | March 16, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Will people at least pay attention to who is posting? Steinberg did not claim it was Latin, Camille made this post.

Posted by: Chris | March 16, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Also, jmc89, you'll note that I didn't write this particular entry. One clue: the part where it says "By Camille Powell." Another clue: the part where she asks a question of "Steinberg." I've done many weird things, but I've never asked myself a question in the third person.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | March 16, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

juan-john: Saxa is Latin, but Hoya is a corruption of the Greek. Either way, I still don't know why they picked Hoya over Saxa. Something about the newspaper I think.

Posted by: jmc89 | March 16, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"By Camille Powell" was a very good clue, one which I very much missed. My apologies, Steinberg.

Posted by: jmc89 | March 16, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Though it is your blog...at the Post.com...DC's respected newspaper's site...without any fact checking.

Posted by: joe (formerly jmc) | March 16, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

This is a quality bog entry. Let's not hate. Except let's hate Duke.

A day when Maryland wins and Duke loses is only inferior to a day in which Maryland's winning is the agent of Duke's loss (i.e., Maryland beats Duke).

Posted by: Lindemann | March 16, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

And here's a video of number two on the list.

I heard the Carolina fans go wild during the game when VCU would take a lead. I saw on a courtside TV that VCU had won, so I anticipated the uproar and caught it on film. Enjoy.

Posted by: Evan | March 16, 2007 10:18 PM | Report abuse