Which do you prefer, Big East or ACC?

Less than two hours until Georgetown tips off against Villanova in MSG. After you finish watching the Hoyas, you can switch over and catch the Terps at 2 p.m. against Miami. I'm curious, which tournament will people - particularly those who don't have a team playing - spend more time watching today, the Big East or the ACC? Is Washington D.C. an ACC city, or a Big East city? Should I chime in with regular Big East updates, to complement the ACC ones from the Tampa boys?

[Message to Kilgore: Enjoy the sun and warmth. And the Waffle Houses. Yes, I have to wear a parka in NYC, but on Tuesday, I ate at a restaurant that had venison, duck, wild boar AND kangaroo on the menu. Wild boar tastes pretty good.]

Anyway, D.C. is home to one of the flagship Big East teams, but I've always felt that it was more of an ACC place. My perspective, however, might be a little skewed. I grew up in Columbia, Md., in an ACC household; my father is a big Maryland fan, I still remember where I was when I heard that Len Bias had died (Phelps Luck Red Snappers swim team practice), and I had picture of Bobby Hurley on my wall when I was in high school (stop laughing. Please).

But here's one reason to watch the Big East today: support the local kids! D.C. players have had a big impact in the league this season. Georgetown won the regular season title with three metro D.C. starters: Jeff Green (the conference player of the year), Roy Hibbert and Jessie Sapp. Villanova's Scottie Reynolds (Herndon) was the conference rookie of the year, and scored 29 points yesterday against DePaul. Connecticut freshman Jerome Dyson (Churchill) was the Huskies' leading scorer, and had 21 points in yesterday's loss to Syracuse. Sophomore Sam Young (Friendly) is one of Pittsburgh's top reserves.

If my accounting is correct, there are more All-Mets playing in the Big East right now than in the ACC. And by All-Met, I mean first team only, which excludes Hibbert and Maryland's James Gist (Good Counsel).

The Big East can claim seven All-Mets:
Georgetown's Green and Sapp; Villanova's Reynolds, Dwayne Anderson (St. John's), and Dante Cunningham (Potomac, Md., All-Met POY); Pittsburgh's Young; and South Florida's Chris Howard (Friendly).

The ACC has six:
Maryland's Eric Hayes (Potomac, Va.), Greivis Vasquez (Montrose Christian) and Dave Neal (O'Connell); North Carolina's Marcus Ginyard (O'Connell); Virginia's Mamdi Diane (DeMatha); and Virginia Tech's Nigel Munson (DeMatha). [Of course, Florida State's Isaiah Swann (Magruder/Oak Hill/Hargrave) and North Carolina's Ty Lawson (McNamara/Oak Hill) likely would have been All-Mets, had they not left the area.]

By Camille Powell  |  March 8, 2007; 10:04 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Steinz's Sports Bog Bracket Madness
Next: Picks!

Comments

This is actually CAA country.

Posted by: Marc aka MDG | March 8, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Wait, a Maryland fan with a picture of Bobby Hurley?

Posted by: Jack | March 8, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

No Marc, this is Our Country.

{queue American History Montage}

Posted by: J. Jones | March 8, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

ACC Baby.... Virginia Style

Posted by: Virginia | March 8, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Was the Bobby Hurley picture hanging next to the Corey Haim and Corey Feldman autographed 8X10's as well?

You should probably be banned from making any additional comments on the Sports Bog. I wish this was just a bad joke on your part.

Posted by: ThatsYourPointGuard! | March 8, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Of course the Big East has more All-Mets - the Big East is a 16 team conference. The little ol' ACC is 12 teams... per capita, ACC has more.

GO TERPS.

Posted by: Beau | March 8, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Bobby Hurley. ROFL

Posted by: dave | March 8, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

ACC is better basketball. I'll be watching the ACC Tournament more, though I'll also be rooting for the Hoyas...

Posted by: Adam | March 8, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

With the amount of MD, UVA (hate), and Tech (hate more) people in the DC area, it's def. ACC country.

Go terps.

Posted by: Chris Mottram | March 8, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

From the Northeast Maryland coast to the western Virginia mountain coast down the Richmond Highway back hooooome.

This is our country

Posted by: Marc aka MDG | March 8, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

ACC by far....Go TERPS!!!!!!

Posted by: curbyou | March 8, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

acc. for sure. maryland has been the best college team *over the past decade* in the area.

Posted by: jasonsilverton | March 8, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

One reason I root for the BIg East is Bobby Hurley never played in it. Bobby Hurley....[head just shaking].....

Posted by: PIttsnogled | March 8, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Hurley?? What, were they out of Chris Corchiani 5x7's?

Posted by: Reader Glenn | March 8, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm Big East, but I'm from New York originally. Having lived and worked in both city proper and suburbs in the recent past, I feel semi-qualified to say that people in the city (who often come from elsewhere) seem to care about the Big East more, while sururbanites (who are much more likely to have lived here for a long time) are bigger into ACC.

Posted by: EMS | March 8, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Considering I forgot the Georgetown-Scottie Reynolds game was on at noon until looking at the bog, I'll have to say this is ACC country.

Posted by: sitruc | March 8, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

The city is Big East territory (except for the outer NE neighborhoods near Hyattsville), while the surrounding counties are ACC territory. I'm watching whichever game is better. If MD and G'town overlap, I'm watching the Hoyas.

Posted by: Ghitza | March 8, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Kind of a foolish question. The city belong to whichever team is on the ascendancy at any given time. Though I agree with the posting above which classifies the city as Big East territory and the 'burbs as ACC. That seems about right.

Though given the failure of this blog to offer picks on the Big East, the overall ACC bias of this blog, played out over the course of the season, seems unquestionable.

It's called fairness, Steinberg.

Posted by: Thin Man | March 8, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I love GW.

Posted by: rossracer | March 8, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

CAA and (now)go VCU baby! (of course, go GW, MD, UVA, VA TECH... and yeah... my first love Georgetown! Patrick Ewing's Georgetown is my earliest memory of college hoops.)

Posted by: swagfield | March 8, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Camille, where did you have dinner?

Posted by: Dave Richardson | March 8, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Definitely the ACC. It's an older conference, with two longtime area teams (Maryland and UVa), and now a third in Virginia Tech. The Big East just has Georgetown for local interest.

Here's proof: Va. Tech was a Big East member for several years (and the Atlantic 10 before that), but did anyone around here care about the Gobblers when they were in either league? Case closed.

Posted by: Vincent | March 8, 2007 10:38 PM | Report abuse

To Dave: I ate at a restaurant called Public, which is on Elizabeth St, between Prince and Spring. Tonight I ate in Koreatown.

Posted by: Camille Powell | March 9, 2007 12:11 AM | Report abuse

To Vincent: The reason you never heard anything about VT when they were in the BE is because when they were in the Big East they were never competitive. Only since joining the ACC has VT become a team to be talked about.

My question to you and all the other ACC lovers is, Why? If you notice it's been two years since BC and VT and Miami left the big east for the football money of the ACC and their taking over the basketball scene. To me that show's just how much better the Big East was and Is.... Two of the three weekest Big East Basketball Programs are running the ACC this year. BC was always competitive in the BE and their still Competitive in the ACC.

Posted by: Big East Baby | March 9, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

A-10, baby! GW all the way!

Posted by: clevelandparker | March 9, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I was at swim team practice when I heard Len Bias had died, too! Old Farm Eagles.

Still, back then, D.C. was more of a Big East town...

Posted by: No, no, no | March 9, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I can only WISH I was Bobby Hurley!

Posted by: Chris Corchiani | March 31, 2007 4:39 AM | Report abuse