Caron Butler's Playoff Shoes

I said this on Comcast SportsNet last night, but I'll say it again here: the vibe in the Wiz locker room before last night's game was tremendous. Very much like the old days. Lots of wackiness in evidence. That's why I began proclaiming that the Wiz would win, and why I stuck by that statement at halftime. So it turned out I was mildly wrong. But still, it did feel a bit like the old days.

Shoe One.

Gilbert even came by again, hobbling about. He noticed Brendan Haywood looking through his (Gilbert's) locker and called him a "scavenger." Oh, and the little motivational saying that hung from Gilbert's name plate has been taken down, presumably boxed up for the summer. I can't remember if I ever posted the text here; it was so mundane, that I don't think I did.

Regardless, the other exciting pre-game news was Caron Butler has received his playoff shoes. I'll admit to not being a sneaker nerd, but people seemed to like it when I posted previous pics of his shoes, so I'll do so again, with the vain hope of a link on NikeTalk. Sadly, I can't even tell you which shoe is which, exactly.

Shoe Two.

Butler said they're still exploring exactly what shoe he should wear next year, and how widely it will be available in retail. "I had to give my ideas of what I thought of 'em, and they're gonna take it from there," he said.

So he took out the three varieties and plopped 'em on the ground for us all to stare at.

"Go ahead and take a look at em," he told the crowd. "Don't hurt yourself now."

I asked whether he'd actually be wearing them in the playoffs, since they are his playoff shoes and all.

"I didn't get 'em for nothing," he said. "You've got to start reading in between the lines, man, you're missing everything."

Shoe Three.

Somehow, this quote, or a version of it anyhow, wound up in today's paper. I still don't understand what I was missing. Please, someone, explain it to me. The jokes were flying over my head left and right yesterday, as the media horde laughed at me. Anyhow, as Reader Nancy pointed out below, Butler--who did his typical stand and clap and wave to the crowd for more noise routine last night--was wearing a gray suit at the game, and some sort of high-end shoes. Not sneakers, in other words.

Anyhow, I think they're seriously looking for feedback, so feel free to offer your thoughts on the three choices.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 18, 2007; 11:29 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards Playoff Math, Explained, If You Still Care, Plus Other Stuff
Next: The Future of the Bog

Comments

The AF25's he wore up until the injury were better than all three.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | April 18, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Those are pretty horrible looking, though I assume the camera man wasn't Ansel Adams.

Shoe 3 looks like a pair of "BoBo's."

I assume this means Caron will be playing in game one against Detroit.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | April 18, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I know there are very acceptable stability reasons for all those shoes to have Velcro but it still throws me off. I half-expect them to come with Agent Zero Bow-Biters.

Posted by: MDT | April 18, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

*Not* shoe two. (But my vote shouldn't count. Let's have Andrea Butler choose -- she has good taste!)

That's great stuff, DeShawn joining the huddle with the face comment. Interesting.

Who knows, but my guesses on the joke is:

GUESS ONE: "You've got to read between the lines" is a joke because it's teasing you about how the info is NOT between the lines -- that "playoff shoes" means shoes you wearing at the playoff. He's teasing you about not taking him literally. So read between the lines, under this theory, is ironical humor.

GUESS TWO: Read between the lines can also be, in some hip hop circles, a way of saying get lost. A verbal swat. In context, I don't think that's this.

Posted by: Nancy | April 18, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Caron is coming back into action -- Willis Reed redux! He needs playoff shoes because he'll be playing in the playoffs. Don't fight it -- feel it!

Posted by: neck of eackles | April 18, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Shoes 1 and 3 seem to be the same shoe, in different color-ways.

Shoe 3 does look like a "Bobo" shoe with a touch of 70's "moon boot" to it. This shall soon be the shoe of choice for all the red-neck, white-trash yokels out there, wearing too tight, acid-washed jeans... Coming soon to the season premier episode of "Cops".

Shoe 2 has waaaaay too much going on with the black base and big gold strap, white swoosh, and BLUE laces!

Shoe 1 is the best of the bunch, as it is subtle and would look decent with a pair of jeans.

Posted by: swwj | April 18, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"Read between the lines can also be, in some hip hop circles, a way of saying get lost. A verbal swat."

Uh...what?

I think he was just saying that he is going to play again this year.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | April 18, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Yes, read between the lines. He has playoff shoes, we are going to the playoffs = he will be wearing them/playing in the playoffs.

Posted by: Donkey | April 18, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

shoe two is crazy. wiz need some craziness if they want to beat anyone - so take shoe two. Now, for next year I would have to say number 1.

Posted by: BiGpimpin | April 18, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say it, but all three look bad in those pictures. I think it's mostly because I think the Wizards' current colors only work at all if the bluish shade is the dominant portion of whatever shirt/short/shoe. I like the nylon weave on shoe 3, but I think the white leather completely ruins it.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 18, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey I think shoe # 1 is the best one. I have been looking for the Caron Butler All Star Jersey anyone know where to get it? I hace tried everywhere and no luck looks like I will just get a tuff juice tee shirt. if you know where to get one hit me caveman626@gmail.com

Posted by: caveman626 | April 19, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse