Bad Gilbert News, Good DCU Graffiti News

Ivan has the news, and the news is awful. Ok, the team just passed out a release, too. Gilbert gets surgery, will be out 2-3 months. He's having the surgery today at Sibley, which is where my daughter was born. Torn left lateral meniscus. The world ends, again. How many times can the world end in one day?

"It's unfortunate that this injury occurred," Ernie Grunfeld says in the release, which is one way to put it.

Caron Butler: "You start feeling good about yourself, and then everything goes wrong. I'm telling you, we don't need a weight room, we need a preacher."

That's another way to put it.

You wouldn't believe how many smiles we've seen here at practice, though. Seriously. Everyone who walks by is smiling. Maybe they figure there's no way things can get worse. If only. At least I got a chance to share my theory with Caron; that everything started going downhill once Jang-a-Lang was released.

Rejoice. Help is on the way.

In the meantime, there is good news in the world, and it comes via an e-mail which I will choose to make anonymous to protect the guilty. A D.C. United fan sends the following message, about an Andre the Giant-inspired campaign. You know all those Andre the Giant posters, like the one that was in my baby's room, before my baby arrived? Check this out.

At some point in the not-so-distant future (2-4 weeks), a box of 2,000 little Christian Gomez Tiene un Posse stickers ( 4.25" x 2.75") will be arriving at my desk. From here, they will be disseminated throughout the known universe. I'll be sure to send a stack your way (as long as you promise to try to stick a few up in and around the RFK press box).

Finally. I mean, finally. Good news. Thanks, DCU fans.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 5, 2007; 11:37 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: On Ivan Carter
Next: I Attempt to Cheer You Up, Big-Time

Comments

Steinberg - it is imperative that you get me one of these stickers as soon as possible.

Posted by: Scroot | April 5, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to offer Gilbert my lateral meniscus. I'm not sure I even use it.

I too was born at Sibley, hopefully there's some good mojo there.

Now I have to go finish my noon cry.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | April 5, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

wow......wow....ugh

Posted by: kwamebrownsucks | April 5, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I say this in all seriousness, since anonymously lying in a blog commentary area isn't really my style: I had this idea like 2 years ago and didn't follow through. At least this cat won't make any money off of this, I can take solace in that.

Posted by: d, dc | April 5, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Even Gomez news can't make up for the loss of Gil and Butler.

Posted by: sitruc | April 5, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

The way I see it, yea I am disappointed but I won't get mad at the Wizards. Just losing Caron and not being able to still be successful, then I'd probably get more upset. At this point, even if they didn't make the playoffs (it seems as if anything is possible now...), I won't be upset with them. They gave us a lot of good times this season. I just hope Gilbert and Caron can rehab back to normal.

Posted by: Fairfax | April 5, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Dagger.

Posted by: Steven | April 5, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Is Sports Bog on suicide watch because of Gilbert's injury?

Posted by: leetee1955 | April 5, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

even i am from Toronto, I gotta admit... Wow, wow, WOW...

Merely 2 games, against same opponent (not even the tough one), 2 losses...

2 stars of the team got hurt respectively in those 2 games' span...

I want all Wiz' fans cheer up, I mean it...

Posted by: Roy | April 5, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Another Sibley-born Bog fan. Summer of '77. They got me confused with another baby with my name and wouldnt release me to my parents for an hour or twp. I could have ended up being raised by the packs of deer by Delecarlia Resevoir. If only...

Oh, and I want one of those Gomez stickers too. I saw a design for it on tuesday while snooping at a local watering hole (not the resevoir).

Posted by: the cheat | April 5, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Is it too late for the Wiz to start taking games and join the lottery? Oden would be nice, but any of the Gator's big men will do. Maybe we should ditch the Titanic and climb aboard Noah's Ark?

Posted by: Steven R. | April 5, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

cant tank, knicks would have to win out for them to make and us not.

in other news, let's all get ready for another nba draft of foreign players. who will ernie take next? top foreign players: http://draftexpress.com/player_rankings.php?r=9.

Posted by: CreditZard | April 5, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

You're just trying to get your comment count up by combining both of your money topics. The Wizards and United fans.

Posted by: Kim | April 5, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Is it too late to start tanking for the Greg Oden/Kevin Durant sweepstakes?

Dan, as you quoted me from yesterday....

OH, THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Stewart | April 5, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Boy, the Curse of Les Boulez is really rearing its ugly head this year, huh?

Who's up for making a "Dan Steinberg Tiene un Sombrero" sticker?

Posted by: EdTheRed | April 5, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Cool Disco Dan will be in awe of the nation wide tagging campaign of Gomez stickers. AWE I tell you!!

Posted by: DB | April 5, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

That's so horrible for you guys... first Caron and now Gilbert. It just isn't meant to be this year, I guess. Sorry!

Posted by: John | April 5, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

All I can say is to wish our Wizards the best; and for the remaining players to do their best individually and as a team effort....w/"heart" as the motivating force....remembering that now famous song in Damn Yankees" I first saw in a DC musical-play in the 50's: "You've Got to Have Heart"...in a pep talk to the last place Senators baseball team...to beat the ("Damn")Yankees.....It's all about HEART...and you won't have to sell your soul to the Devil to WIN.....Go Wiz! let's salvage the rest of the season...and DRAFT wisely under able care of Ernie Grunfeld...!!

Posted by: Felix(Teodoro) form Manila | April 5, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

This is further proof that the basketball gods want the return of the Washington Bullets. Both the Mystics and Caps are returning to the Red, White, and Blue color-scheme, the Wiz should follow suit, and bring back the Bullet moniker.

Posted by: AlecW81 | April 5, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I'd also like one a 'dem stickers... it will help to ease the pain of watching the Wiz go out in the first round playoffs, of course each loss most likely will be in OT.

Posted by: SWWJ | April 5, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

How does one get one's hands on a sticker? Flattery? Oaths of fealty? Bartering?

Really, I'd be happy enough just to see one in an interesting place where it won't get taken down.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 5, 2007 5:32 PM | Report abuse