GW Kid Declares for Draft

Sports Bog: So, uh, why are you entering the NBA draft?

GW freshman Monty Singh Harika: "It's just kind of a thing to get publicity."

Right. Well, as long as we're clear on that. Anyhow, GW freshman Monty Singh Harika, an 18-year-old, 6-foot-5, 180-pound basketball-playing fiend, has declared for the NBA draft. Before you get all distraught, GW fans, take heart: Harika hasn't hired an agent yet and plans to withdraw his name before the deadline so that he can preserve his college eligibility and attempt to walk on the team next year. Which is why, as he told me, "I'm just trying to get all my publicity now."

An action shot. Feel free to print this out for future autograph purposes.

Right. And The Washington Post is happy to aid and abet you in this mission. So here's some version of the story, some or all of which might or might not be true or false. Harika is a Sikh, and believes he will be the first Sikh to enter the NBA draft, which is one of the reasons he wants to do this. He says he was a 290-pound offensive lineman in high school (at Shady Side Academy in Pittsburgh), and he also played for the basketball team, although he came off the bench. Or, rather, didn't come off the bench. I asked him what his best scoring output in high school was.

"Uh, two," he said. "I was really, really bad, and all of a sudden I left high school and I got really, really good."

Right. Harika says he's friends with a bunch of Colonials; that he plays in pick-up games with them in the student rec center, and also with other students; that he does fairly well in these games; that he is concentrating on basketball to the exclusion of his schoolwork; that he's a psychology major "but I'm like never in class, I'm at the gym 4-10 every day." Actually, he hoops from about 4-8, then runs a few miles and then lifts weights. He can't technically dunk a ball--he has bad knees from when he used to weigh so much--but he can grab the rim, which ought to come in handy at the next level. I asked if he might be able to compare himself to any NBA stars.

"Uh, I'm a shooter," he said. "I don't know, Ray Allen or something like that, but my role model growing up was Dennis Rodman."

Right. Harika figured out this draft thing might be a possibility after reading about the case of Curtis Heroman, a random LSU student who declared for the draft two years ago. The Gannett reporter who wrote that story quoted NBA scout Marty Blake thus: "He may be in the draft, but he won't come out of the draft." Figuring it was the proper journalistic move, I called Marty this morning, but instead spoke with his son, Ryan, another longtime scout. Sadly, they cannot comment on the prospects of early entrants at this time, not even early entrants who never scored more than two points in high school and are just trying to get some publicity. But, speaking generically of a player who was in college and never played college basketball, Ryan allowed that such a player would have but "a remote percentage" of being drafted.

I briefly talked to GW assistant Greg Collucci, who has never seen Harika play.

"I feel like if there was a guy who could play in the NBA walking around GW and working out in the Health & Wellness Center, hopefully we'd know," Collucci said.

Right. I'd think so, too. Harika, though, seemed less pessimistic. He's already e-mailed Mark Cuban, asking for a shot with the Mavs. He's hoping to get a pre-draft workout of some sort.

"They need to call me sometime soon," he said.

"Who?" I asked, while rummaging through the help-wanted ads and wondering whether the Wizards might not want to give Harika a look, since, you know, how could things really get worse at this point?

"The NBA," he said. "I'm trying to get a work out with any NBA team. I'm trying to get invited to the Orlando camp. I'm just trying to get a job. Dallas is deep enough to take me. They have a 10-man roster, they could put me as an 11th man. They're deep enough, they don't need a draft pick even, they could put it on me. And the Knicks draft anybody, they could take me. That's about it. Everybody else actually needs a draft pick."

Right. Harika's parents don't yet know about his draft plans, but he said several GW players do, as do a whole bunch of GW students, and they all think it's "like, the greatest thing." He has some more paperwork to do for the NBA, but he said he's already sent his letter in to the NBA office, and that he's officially declared. Anyhow, I figured I should ask Harika to quantify his chances of getting drafted.

"Probably, like, less than one percent," he said. "But hey, maybe if I get a little name, somebody will make a mistake or something."

Yeah. Maybe. Right.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 13, 2007; 12:17 PM ET
Categories:  NBA
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gil: Bored
Next: Wizards Playoff Math Explained

Comments

a-mazing.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | April 13, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I've seen the guy play. He is at best an average rec player.

Posted by: Joe for g-dub | April 13, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

we need andrew wiseman to comment on this

Posted by: hmmmmm | April 13, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

paging Isiah Thomas...

Posted by: jamie | April 13, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

ditto what joe said. he doesn't bring much to the table for someone who is so tall. he can't rebound and is extremely slow. he can hit a wide open jumper though.

Posted by: jack from g-dub | April 13, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

At least you can use the headline "Monty Singhs the Blues" when you write the follow-up where he doesn't get drafted.

..."but I'm like never in class, I'm at the gym 4-10 every day."

$50k a year to not attend class. Ouch.

Posted by: bryc3 | April 13, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I think everyone is missing the big part of this story ... homeboy lost 110 pounds. While he would be better served attending class than cooking up this scheme at this point, that is a very impressive achievement.

Posted by: tmc | April 13, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

i have a feeling about this kid... this is just the beginning...

Posted by: anonymous | April 13, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I agree with anonymous. In a few weeks, we should be seeing headlines like, "GW Kid Dunks Ball," then, "GW Kid Dribbles Ball Between His Legs," and, finally, "GW Kid Makes Two Free-Throws...in a row!" He'll be a strong 2010 contender, start up his own blog, get a shoe deal, maybe take GW to the championship - stuff like that, basically.

Posted by: jmc | April 13, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

this kid needs to go to class and stop dreaming this unattainable goal, you have a better chance at being a doctor kid

Posted by: wow | April 13, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

nah this kid is nice. i've seen him ball against mouton, boumtje-boumtje, eric walter and walt williams to name a few. he more than held his own, except when he played EW. Walter is another great local prospect to keep a lookout for. his skill set is amazing, plus he has a jamaican girl.
steinberger doesn't even mention he's related to vijay or thomas??? good research Bog Boy.

Posted by: sizzle | April 13, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

monty singh please marry me

Posted by: jin698 | April 13, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Study hard!! bball won't get u anywhere in life...

Posted by: baller | April 13, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Sizzle- Who's Eric Walter? How is this kid related to Vijay???

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | April 13, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh man, this is golden. I actually know a guy from GW who did this before as a joke, he got a phone call from an Irish team. Monty is a funny fellow - half the time he posts grammatically questionable rumors that generally turn out to be true, and half the time he challenges other posters to fights. There's tons more hilarity about this at GWhoops.com and my blog of course.

Also, the fact that I got called out by name on here is pretty cool.

Posted by: Andrew from Colonial Hoops | April 13, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

this guy sucks pretty hard - itd be a funnier gag if he just admitted it, rather than claiming to try to make the GW squad- he's never the best player on the court in ANY given game, and he talks unjustified trash- i like his spirit, but perhaps he should try men's figure skating

And, this guy couldn't beat anyone in a fight, he's a biatch. HTH

Posted by: riiighht | April 13, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

the one good thing is that this guy looks prime to at least get an endorsement contract:

Summer's Eve should be calling any day now!!

Posted by: endorsement | April 13, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

The Finnish Korisliiga is always looking for talent.

Posted by: B.A. | April 13, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse

All of you need to stop hating. The man is pursuing his dream. Don't knock him because you don't have the courage to do something so extreme to reach your goal. He has made remarkable progess. He may be able to make the team sometime because this time 2 years ago, he was about 300 pounds and couldn't shot. He is the man.

Posted by: Getmontydrafted | April 13, 2007 6:33 PM | Report abuse

andrew, i've mentioned your name before on here. i'll give you two hints:

- sasquatch
- atlantic city, BYOB at that fine 'establishment' after the a10 tourney

;-)

Posted by: hmmmmm | April 13, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Monty your the man, thats the funniest thing ive ever heard... most underrated player in SSA history, call me when ur back in town

Posted by: Thad | April 13, 2007 6:53 PM | Report abuse

monty is the man, none of the people who hate on him could spend six hours a day training like he does. He has will power and thats respectable.
monty, aka escalade, keep it up, i expect to see u on the bench if i come up to DC next year.

Posted by: sauce | April 13, 2007 7:01 PM | Report abuse

what a joke this kid got schooled by Rahul Kumar

Posted by: HAHAHAHA | April 13, 2007 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I went to high school with Monty and played with him for three years...He is possibly the best player (with a turban) to ever play basketball at Shady Side Academy, or Western PA for that matter.

Posted by: Jordan | April 13, 2007 8:00 PM | Report abuse

yo i be seein Monty on GW streets lookin fresh. I heard this boy be makin it rain on dem courts...he just walked by!!!!!!!

Posted by: nextdoorneighba | April 13, 2007 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I luv yall too...DRAFT YO BOY. HOLLA AT ME DAVID STERN. GIMME SOME LOVE BABY

Posted by: Monty--AKA Cadillac | April 13, 2007 9:48 PM | Report abuse

dont hate on this kid, ive never seen such a pure shooter in my life, hes the truth, monty can ball period. even michael jordan is but a mere nut sucker compared to monty escalade harika. i can only feel bad for all of the nba teams that pass him up over greg oden and kevin durant.

Posted by: dj egan | April 13, 2007 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Monty could be the greatest invention since sliced paneer.

For real tho- he could barely hold his own at the local racket club pickup games.

Posted by: S. Chauda | April 13, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

He has a better chance making the FBI's Top Ten Most Wanted Terrorist List than he does as the 11th man on the Mavericks roster.

ps. I think the PUG is hurting your verticle.

Posted by: AK47 | April 14, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Balled with him before and his shot doesnt miss. Give him a few years and this young blood will be on the GW bench

Posted by: theanswer | April 14, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

so steinberg has a posting about some gdub loser declaring for the draft but not Hibbert and Green? the Georgetown hatred continues unabated....

Posted by: smh | April 14, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

yes ma sikh boi "chak de pathe". best of luck

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Got in a couple pickup games with him. Needs to get really serious with conditioning..other than that, sky is the limit. I've seen a lot of late bloomers who became really good players after high school, This guy is the real deal.

Posted by: Dogwood | April 14, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

do you think he meant he plays best at the 2 position when asked what his scoring output? lol

Posted by: ANONn | April 14, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

noway in hell this guy is going to get drafted. He went to shady side. They suck!!!!!

Posted by: dustin | April 15, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

This kid is always walking around in GW basketball jackets he gets from the players. The kids a joke, me and my friends laugh our asses off cracking on this kid.

Posted by: KDS | April 15, 2007 6:05 PM | Report abuse

find something better to write your blog about.

Posted by: anonymous | April 15, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame.

Posted by: Hollywood | April 15, 2007 6:43 PM | Report abuse

This guy is a JOKE. People on campus make fun of him all the time. Please, please, please don't give him any more attention with the blog.

Posted by: GW-Bball | April 15, 2007 6:46 PM | Report abuse

GO MONTY-- it's your birthday!

Love,
Columbia University

Posted by: columbiaLOVESmonty | April 15, 2007 7:18 PM | Report abuse

This guy straight up sucks. Played against him in a lot of indo-pak tourneys. Hes goofy, uncoordinated and cant shoot to save his life.

Enjoy your 1 minute of fame!

Posted by: Indian Cowboy | April 16, 2007 12:19 AM | Report abuse

when monty, aka escalade, aka the terrible turban, aka Big Caddy, aka pounder of the post, aka drainer of the three, aka theres a visine for that, aka 5 point play, aka ruler of the rock, aka king of the court,aka the truth, takes it to the hole, theres nobody thats going to stop him. I know from experience... If you think this dudes a joke think again, its not just joking around.

Posted by: Mark | April 16, 2007 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Im going to pitt next year for ballin and ive played this kid one-on-one and hes the real deal

you should be expecting a lot from this kid hopefully we ewill play together agiain in the nba

Posted by: Dejuan Blair | April 16, 2007 9:07 AM | Report abuse

The Tandoori Terror will rock the Smith Center next season!

Posted by: Markus V. | April 16, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Hey, be careful. I can't say I'd be surprised if he got drafted by the Knicks. I mean, they'll draft anybody these days.

Posted by: Dave | April 16, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

get this dude into Water Wars, anybody with "bad knees" has got to be an easy target.

So, at 29 and no basketball in the last 12 years, can I declare for the draft? Hell, I even have a degree!
I might get looked at by an "Irish team"

Posted by: Sway | April 16, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

monty do ur thing....dust dem haters off

Posted by: realtalk | April 16, 2007 9:28 PM | Report abuse

This [um, person is] the real [edited]

Posted by: Julius Paige | April 17, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

By covering this non-story you are only enabling and encouraging people like this who are just trying to get attention. I like the Post and used to enjoy the Bog when there were unique news stories here, but this is just wannabe tabloid space filler and it sucks.

Posted by: Waste of Time | April 17, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I am no taller than 5'9'' and I have destroyed Monty more times than Marlon Brando destroyed Betty Crocker. He is the single worst player to ever step into the GW health and wellness center, and like a previous poster said, I would also expect him to be drafted by the Knicks, but unfortunately for Monty, they traded that pick to the Bulls. Maybe next year.

Posted by: Joey | April 17, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I HOPE YOU MAKE IT FAR MONTY!!!!!!!

raj from facebook!

Posted by: RAJ | April 17, 2007 6:41 PM | Report abuse

represent the sikh community!

Posted by: desi | April 18, 2007 6:47 PM | Report abuse

If you are a Sikh, you are R E T A R D E D. REPRESENT, NIGGAZ!!!

Posted by: Jaspreet Singh Guram | April 18, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Come back to Shady Side!!!!

Posted by: SSA | April 19, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Hes always getting into fights in the court. Hes a real good player and competative. MONTY ALL THE WAY.

Posted by: john from shadyside | April 20, 2007 4:46 AM | Report abuse

HES NOT A MUSLIM HES SIKH SO DONT CALL HIM A TERRIORIST. HOPEFULLY HE CAN MATCH THE GREATED SPIN BOWLER FOR ENGLAND MONTY SINGH PANESAR.

Posted by: SINGH | April 20, 2007 4:47 AM | Report abuse

Are you going to get drafted in the MLB too?

Posted by: Carlos Beltran | April 23, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Also played with monty for three years in high school and he couldn't finish a suicide, but he could drain it from anywhere. This guys in range when he steps out of bed.

Posted by: Max | April 24, 2007 6:53 PM | Report abuse

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP omggg finnnnnnnnnnnnnallly somoneeeee indiannnnn:D:D

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 10:06 PM | Report abuse

MONTY GOT SCHOOLED BY RAHUL KUMAR??? hahahahahahhhahhahahahha

that's questionable to say the least.

Posted by: USC | April 25, 2007 8:00 PM | Report abuse

kid's the biggest toolbox i ever seen.

Posted by: Craftsman | April 28, 2007 8:47 PM | Report abuse

GO MONTY!!!!!!!!! reppin da sikhs to the nation

Posted by: PunJabI | May 3, 2007 8:31 PM | Report abuse