More Cheap Shots at Cavs Fans

I don't think I've said anything particularly rude about Cleveland or Cavs fans thus far, and yet they seem to have taken offense. For example, this is from an e-mail I received from a self-professed lifelong Cavs fan:

These sophomoric attempts at humor are pathetic and inane. I guess your purpose is to provide comic relief for the Wiz fans who will be spending the summer getting over the imminent trouncing by the Cavs. Aside from that, your rants have to be some of most awful sports writing (if you could call it that) I have ever seen. Anyways, on the bright side of things I hear that Whole Foods is hiring again.

That sounds an awful lot like my latest performance evaluation. And thanks for your support, Cleveland.

Anyhow, there were a couple other things I wanted to mention about Cavs fans, again, bearing in mind that I have no particular allegiance to the Wizards, that I'm not from the D.C. area, that Wizards fan have a deserved bad rap for being late-arriving and apathetic, and that I'm mostly writing this for lack of anything better to discuss in this Series That History Will Soon Forget. But carrying on:

1) When the Wiz were on the free-throw line and the Cavs fans were supposed to be loud and disruptive, the scoreboard helped by showing the logos of the Pittsburgh Steelers and/or the Michigan Wolverines. When it was an exceptionally important moment, the scoreboard would show A-Rod and Jeter in the uniforms of the Steelers and Wolverines. Now I'm not saying Wiz fans are remarkable, but what does it say when you start the game with your PA announcer talking about "the best fans in the NBA," and by the third quarter you need to resort to football imagery to get people fired up? Why not just show the logo of the Milwaukee Wave, so all those old-time NPSL Cleveland Crunch supporters can get their hate on?

At least this seemed marginally original.

2) As I mentioned previously, the Cavs offered free sign-making stations on Sunday. I think this is genius. I'd love to see the Wiz offer the same. And having profiled Wiz people who made signs referring to 82-point Arenas outbursts, and signs in foreign languages, and signs about Michael Ruffin ("We Want the Ruff Stuff") and about "Hiblatchi," I had high hopes indeed for an NBA arena overflowing with signs.

Well. Yeah. I love you, Cleveland, but you might possibly need some creative assistance. Virtually every sign I saw had some variation on the "RISE UP!" theme. For example:

"Rise Up Cleveland."

Catchy. Original. Nay, near-genius. Also this:

"Rise Up Cavs; U Gotta Let It Do What It Do."

Some fans got especially crafty; one would write "RISE" on his sign, and his neighbor would write "UP!" Get it? Put the two words together, and you've formed a slogan.

Then there were the cracks at the Wizards. Among the highlights:

"Wizard This"

"No Wizard is Safe from the Cavs Magic"

"Cast a magic spell on the Wizards make them disappear"

"The only Wizard I know is LeBron"

"There's no such thing as Wizard magic"

"Thanks for the Jersey/Shoe Gilbert"

"Arenas=0, LeBron=Hero"

"No Arenas No Butler No 2nd Round"

"Meet us at the Q; Wizards Goin Down"

Other signs: "King James," "Let's Go Cavs," "'The King' is Building a Castle," "Not in My House," "Real Men Wear Wine and Gold," and "Barkley is Fat."

"Barkley is Fat" was fine, I thought. Everything else was as forgettable as a Michael Ruffin layup attempt. Where were the homages to Ira Newble? The Andy V signs cracking wise in Portuguese? The playful jabs at Caron Butler's bone-healing machine? Why no "Our Lithuanian is Taller Than Yours" posters? Why no "D.C.: All Pork, No Hibachi" attempts? What about "If Antawn is a Wizard, Why Can't He Spell?"

Wow. That was pretty bad. Ok, maybe this is harder than I thought. I won't even subject you to my obtuse sign linking Sasha Pavlovic's hometown to the playoff plight of this Wizards team.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 24, 2007; 10:46 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Those Flaming Swords
Next: Orioles Mustaches

Comments

So THAT's what they used to get the crowd going. Listening on the TV, it sounded more like a mid-December game with the Bobcats than a playoff game. Of course, this is Cleveland. I'm sure they're expecting Michael Jordan to sign a 10 day contract with the Wiz, come off the bench and score about 70 points per game. Or LeBron to step on someone's foot and sprain his ankle... Oops. Sorry.

Posted by: TG | April 24, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

my sign is going to have two pictures of mark price. one will be of him sitting on the bench in street clothes, and the other will be of him waiting in line to cash his paycheck at a bank. and the caption will read 'every from cleveland is stupid and fat and from cleveland.' and it will make me laugh, because i think i'm pretty funny.

Posted by: bryc3 | April 24, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

NPSL reference!!!

The Cleveland Crunch had nothing but jerk players, especially Hector Marinaro. I also recall them having hideous jerseys every single year. Then again, they also had one of the better-named keepers of all time: Otto Orf.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 24, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

dude, it's Cleveland. I have nothing against the Rust Belt per se but that city is an awful place. In fact I'm of the opinion that all of the better, self-respecting Rust Belt cities (I can only vouch for Pittsburgh, where I lived for a year, and Buffalo) should band together and expel Cleveland from their ranks for sucking. While they're at it they might as well just declare that 90% (or everything except Athens, Columbus, and possibly Akron) of Ohio totally sucks; it's really just a formality at this point. Does it surprise anyone that the Cavs can't attract anybody better than Larry Hughes despite having LBJ? No, because their city sucks. I grew up in Chicago and while we may have hated the Bad Boys Pistons at least we respected them and Detroit. After all, tons of awesome bands hail from there; Iggy Pop/the Stooges, Negative Approach, the vast awesomeness of Motown, etc. Cleveland has what, Pere Ubu, and that's about it. Devo is from Akron after all. Meanwhile the Price-Daugherty-etc. Cavs were respected by no one; everyone knew they would win 50 games and then lose to the Bulls, Knicks or Pistons like clockwork in the playoffs.

So Dan, if I were you I wouldn't worry about criticism from a gloomy hole of a town where the Jumbotron has flamethrowing swords. Just tell the Cleveland haters to call back when Lebron develops a mid-range game or a post game or ANYTHING besides aimlessly dribbling around the perimeter forever trying to decide to drive or toss up a bricked 3 while all the other Cavs stand around listlessly. Actually, when that happens the Cavs will probably win an NBA championship. And I for one will welcome our new flamesworded, Michigan hating overlords. But until then Cleveland sucks.

Posted by: nik | April 24, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Dan, don't worry about Cavs fans. I've run across quite a few who are vitriolic and seemingly ignorant about basketball. You can't say one negative thing about their precious LeTravel, about their arena or about their scrub-filled team. Whatever. They won't get past the second round, meaning LeTravel will not have advanced farther in the playoffs than Gilbert.

Posted by: Colin | April 24, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Having lived in the state of Ohio, this is only too familiar. I like Cleveland sports (and some Cincy teams and the Buckeyes + I went to Xavier), but man are fans in that state deranged sometimes.

Ohio is an alternate universe full of people with inferiority/superiority complexes and are bitter towards 49 other states and the rest of the world. This must be why they're lashing out at the near defenseless Wizards and their fans. Why can't they just shut their mouths and proceed to round two? Are they really going to brag about beating a team with their two All-Stars out of the line-up?

Cleveland is so snake bitten by The Drive (STILL!), The Ravens (understandable), The 97 World Series, the River-On-Fire Jokes, etc, that it's created a hell of a complex about itself. People in NW Ohio couldn't give a crap about basketball. They're just fired up because they have LeBron (although they constantly whine about the notion of him leaving for NY - self-fulfilling prophecy?).

Posted by: Kev | April 24, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Send them a cheese basket

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | April 24, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow. A whole stadium full of Cavaliers fans and some sort of arts and crafts supervisor can't out do the Philadelphia Flyers 'SignMan', or most High Schools.

Posted by: Kim | April 24, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Surprised you didn't see a "Cleveland Rocks!" sign...

Posted by: CreditZard | April 24, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I suppose if I lived in a place called "The Mistake on the Lake" year round then I'd be a bitter whiner too.

Posted by: vbxtc | April 24, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Whoaa -- it's ONE THING for the Cav fans to diss our Wizards. But it's QUITE ANOTHER for them to attack your writing ability!

Agent Steinz, you are a very good writer.

"your rants have to be some of most awful sports writing (if you could call it that) I have ever seen"

This is a self-impeaching statement. It is (1) a rant and (2) it is "most awful . . . writing" [sic].

Hey Cleveland, you know what the DIFF is between Wizards fans and Cleveland fans? Let me do the arithmetic for you: about 30 IQ points.

I still love the DIFF. I think that's such a FUN fact. That, and the two warring mascots. LOL.

Posted by: Nancy | April 24, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg,

You rock!! How does someone your age remember the old old National Profession Soccer League--must less two of its members. I just recall Washington's team--the WHIPS and their one armed footballer--Nana. You never cease to amaze. As for the Bullets (so I will always call them) wait till next year!!

Posted by: A Hardwick | April 24, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

The only thing I like about Cleveland is the Drew Carey Show. And that, my friends, was taped in Hollywood, CA. Cleveland from the Family Guy is ok. But he's in Quahog, RI.

My sign for Game 3 at the VC:

LeBron enjoys the Cleveland Steamer ... and I'm not talking about the locomotive!

Posted by: Zuke | April 24, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I was on my way to game 1 at Quicken Loan Arena but the mad traffic in Cleveland was just too much for me.

Posted by: 761-091 | April 24, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg eats his own pubes

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

*******************************

This guy may be a life-long Cavs fans, but he's clearly *not* a Plain-Dealer subscriber.

Posted by: DevilGrad | April 24, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind that it was those same Cleveland fans who shouted racial slurs at Eddie Jordan. When's the last time Cleveland even won a championship?

Posted by: Stewart | April 24, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

In any major sport? 1964. Then Jim Brown became so dispirited about living in Cleveland that he quit football to become a blaxploitation film movie actor for theaters.

Posted by: Lindemann | April 24, 2007 8:26 PM | Report abuse

The Cav and their fans will get up for a game when we have some damn competition...

Lethargic, un-energetic, downright flat....Oh and Cavs won by 15.....We suck.

FTS

Posted by: FearTheSword | April 25, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

SO THIS IS WHAT YOU RESORT TO WHEN YOUR TEAM IS TERRIBLE AND HAS NO CHANCE IN THIS SERIES? NIT PICKING A COUPLE OF FANS?! LOL GREAT CITY IN WASHINGTON BTW, ONE FO THE MOST DANGEROUS CITIES IN THE NATION.

Posted by: LolOlOLL | April 25, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

How bad must it be for the Wizards when their writers have nothing better to report on than the fans of the opposing (and better) team?

This of course coming from the same city who sported a "Crybaby Cam" last spring.

Maybe Cavs fans would be a bit more into it if their opponent could field a team that could possibly challenge for a pee-wee league title.

Posted by: Mike (columbus, oh) | April 25, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

At least the fans in Ohio actually care about their sports teams. The last game at Verizon center between the Cavs and Wizards had an overflow of Cavs jerseys compared to Wizards (mostly due to the fact that you guys suck) the fans left halfway through the fourth quarter and the loudest cheers were for the BMX show at halftime.

There were only TWO visible signs at the game as well. DC has the worst fans in possibly the single worst city for sports. Every team here is almost as bad as your writing.

Makes sense though...no one watches the sports games around here unless a good team comes to town (i.e. the Cavs) and no one even reads your "rants" unless you say something so increadibly stupid as to elicit irate comments from your few readers.

You should really look into the Whole Foods job - probably a better long-term career option.

Posted by: CH | April 25, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I love all the talk about Cleveland. How many of you have actually been there? Well, maybe you can give it a shot next year cause there's no way this series is coming back from Washington. Cavs end it in 4, Wizards go home empty-handed. Let's hear the excuses...

Posted by: Chris | April 25, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't quite make fun of Cleveland fans yet. We here in D.C. don't really have the best fans (and that's a huge understatement). I can't tell you how many times I've been told to "Sit-down" or "Shut up buddy, it's only a game", or even "The game's over, we can't do it" when it's a 3 point game!! A 3 point game!

I've been to Cleveland once for a game and if there is one thing I have to give them credit for, it's trying to get rid of their overall negativity. They are trying. Come on people - ESPN gave them the No. 1 rating for most tortured sports city! The Drive, the Ravens, the 97 World Series, River on Fire, "Mistake on the Lake", The Shot (MJ)? Wouldn't you need a little pick-me-up if the last time one of your teams won something was 1964?

For us to sit here and complain about their fans - heck, at least they show up to the games on time and ready to go. They get excited when told to. At least they get free t-shirts and towels and harass their own fans when they aren't supporting their team! Heck, a hell of a lot better than being told to "Sit Down" when you're trying to show some spirit. Let's face it, we're all mad b/c we hit some unlucky times - Gilbert and Butler are out, unfortunate, but reality. We're trying to attack their fans who are ultimately better than ours!

Posted by: J-Dubs | April 25, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm at a lose of words right now. How is it your still employed? I guess I can't say much, I actually helped the terrible cause by reading the whole thing. Here's some advice; next time you take a shot at an organization, make sure it will have more of an impact than ripping on the creativity of SIGNS.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

One word- scoreboard. Oh yeah, Cavs win by 15. Don't worry, Arenas will be back next year to do his usual 8-27 from the field and lead his team to another stellar .500 season.

Posted by: your'e still not funny | April 25, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Cleveland's fans are the most knowledgeable and passionate in the country. Clevelanders are unique in our collective wishing and hoping for a winner. That's why we educate ourselves when it comes to sports. We over analyze all of our teams so we can get pumped for a season. "Well, we have LeBron and co. and Mike Brown's defense is remarkable" or "Hafner and Sizemore will be racing for the MVP while Sabathia contends for the Cy Young" are all conversations you'll hear in Cleveland. We know EVERYTHING about our teams. This allows us to see things that talking heads like Dan Steinberg will never see and thus know that we have a better chance of winning than most think. Sure we're overly optimistic sometimes, but, we know a stinker when we see one (The Browns). Washington fans are morons, bang up job with the Nationals, the Redskins stink and you guys are on Gilbert McPenis's junk like it's actually worth something. Your teams are garbage, your city is garbage (other than all the sweet ass government buildings) and your knowledge of sports is, well, garbage.

Posted by: Jordan the Clevelander | April 25, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

another 1st round exit for the wiz.... Good job!

Posted by: Gilbert sucks | April 25, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm just amazed that this guy has a job as a journalist, and further amazed that the editor allows this to be posted. I'd expect this in a high school newspaper about cross-town rivals, but here? Wow, talk about pathetic.

Posted by: Mark | April 25, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

You know, its not like the Wizards "All In" Slogan is any better.

Posted by: Paul | April 25, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

This guy is a joke. What happened last year to the Wizards in the playoffs?? Oh ok, no snappy comeback. What a joke. Your job oculd be given to a second grader. At least they could come up with a better topic than this. Washington Post, do yhourselves a favor and fire this moron now!!

BTW, have fun watching the cavs in the ECF and NBA Finals.

Posted by: RISE UP | April 25, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

So will tomorrow's blog feature the shortcomings of the Cavaliers mascot Moondog?

Posted by: Mike | April 25, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

To address the sign issue, who do you think makes signs?? That's right 8 year old kids. I know in Washington many 40 year old men spend all day coming up with with witty sign material. So I apologize for the lack of "creativity". Sidenote: If your city is so great why do you keep killing eachother.

Posted by: Mike | April 25, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow, all these cracks coming from a city that gave us Marion Barry....twice. Nice.

Posted by: Matt | April 25, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Reply to J-Dubs at 11:25 a.m.

I very much appreciate your sentiments to Cleveland. We care so incredibly deeply about our teams. I don't know why the signs our fans make judges the strength of our fan base. The people who go to the games are (mostly) corporate big-wigs who have the money and connections to get tickets (because the Cavaliers sold out 32 of 41 home games this year, the connections are most often necessary). The people who are at the games represent a small fraction of our fans. We are passionate about our teams and desperate for a winner. Many grown men and women will be in tears when one of our teams wins one. It will be a memory for a lifetime. The time when Cleveland won a championship.

Posted by: Brendan in Cleveland | April 25, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Here's a story: about a man named Tommy. Who was living in SouthWest Ohio. He had basic cable, with FoxSports net...channel 29. Till the one day when FoxSport net showed the BlueJackets, over Tommy's beloved Cleveland Cavaliers. In fury he called up TimeWarner, and decided to buy league pass since FSN would not show the Cavs in his region. After the TimeWarner chap assured him that he was out of region and would not be subjected to black-out, he went ahead and ordered the non-refundable League Pass ($185). Only to watch a black screen during the Cavs Bobcats game. After considerable damage done to his apartment, he started driving around town, trying to find a sports bar with the Cavs on Satellite. He did, just in time to watch LeBron get blocked by Sean May and the Cavs to lose to the lowly Bobcats. Later that night, after being hung up on by Time Warner representatives for yelling incessantly into the phone about the ridiculousness of showing Ultimate Fighting, Poker, and the BlueJackets over one of the best teams in the NBA, Tommy likes to think he changed the progrmaming policy of TimeWarner for the Dayton area. Even though basic Cable still rarely puts the Cavs on FoxSports net, the channel reserved for Remote Control functionality and "what's on tv" feeds Cavs games through when it's game time. Not just for Tommy, but for all residents of his area.

Bashing fans for their impromptu signs is really creative. I thoroughly enjoyed Caron Butler, Jarred Jeffries and company laughing out loud "I am a Witness" during the first quarter of game 3 when they had a lead - only to be dethroned at home by King James' 41 point effort. I would say that was some inspiriational creativity on their part - knowing their fate so early.

Watch the fans that come to the NJ/Toronto - Cleveland games. When tickets are $150 a seat instead of $15. Watch for me and my sign. I'm not driving up to watch the Cavs either win by 30 like they're "supposed to" or win a close game and be heckled by a bunch of media Witnesses.

-Cleveland Cavaliers Fan

Posted by: Tom (Cleveland) | April 25, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Linderman - Jim Brown still considers Cleveland his home. He is active in the community and has a very close relationship with the Browns organization to this day. He started the Amer-I-Can program to help people caught up in gangs in Los Angeles and Cleveland.

Posted by: To Linderman | April 25, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Here are the facts:

1. The author of this column is pathetic. He's using a small percentage of the population, (one emailer and several sign holders), to represent the city of Cleveland.

2. The author is also pathetic because he fails to acknowledge that many of those signs he cites were created by the Quicken Loans staff and given to fans. This is a common practice in the NBA.

3. The readers are pathetic because they're posting vitriolic comments about a city based entirely on this author's distorted view of Cleveland fans.

4. The readers are also pathetic because they're insulting everyone in the entire state of Ohio based on their encounters with a few sports fans. (Is Ohio really an "alternate universe?")

5. I am pathetic for wasting 2 minutes responding to this drivel.

6. And finally, there are knowledgeable sports fans in every city. There are also idiotic jerks in every city. It's too bad all the idiotic jerks are the ones who post online, call talk radio shows, and write columns for the Washington Post.

Posted by: WTF? | April 25, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

So I guess this is all one can write about, since the Cavs beat the Wizards by 15 points the other day. Its also pretty lame to attack the signs. The majority of them are 6 year olds anyways. If Cleveland had a bad team and were facing Washington in the playoffs, Cleveland writers can say the same things that this article says about the Wizards. Looking foreward to a playoff sweep.

Posted by: wow | April 25, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

look how testy the cleveland fans are?!?! hilarious-- it's like the fat kid who picks fights with anyone that looks at him when he's sneaking cupcakes into his book bag. your city is awful...and how do i know? i've been there many, many times. the only reason your fan base is respectable is because it is a direct result of the unity that you all feel for living in such a god-forsaken hole.

Posted by: plain dealer | April 25, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

wow good job making fun of cleveland fans for not taking the wizards seriously enough they don't have to do anything at the game to help their own players. too bad you guys can't spend these days knowing your team has the easiest path to the conference finals but hey realize that next year you'll lose in the first round again

Posted by: wizgettingdowntosucksomecoc | April 25, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

As Clevelanders we are used to everyone's negativity toward the city, but it's SOOOO sweet when the critisism comes from a fan base who knew they never had a chance to beat us. How frustrating is it to know that you will never contend in the East.... ever? We wouldn't know how that feels here, since we will be one of the top 2-3 teams in the Conference for as long as LeBron is here. Have fun in the offseason!

Posted by: Cole | April 25, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

@plain dealer

Testy? All we are doing is defending the city we live in and stating FACTS. Not Making judgements based on a few fans.

Our fan base is respectable becuase we love our city and our sports history, good or bad.

The memory's of childhood listening to the Browns, Cavs and Indians is what brings me back. Wanting to recapture some of the greater moments in our history.

Unless you lived here... You have no idea whats its like.

GO CAVS.

Posted by: CavsFan | April 25, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

plain dealer eat my shorts you suck
politically infested chemical water
directly from your cesspool in Peyton
Place ie Washington. You can all go
rub Cheneys belly for bad luck. The
Potomac is polluted, the crime is rampant,
and you all live in the dump called Washington DC. We live in a beautifull
midwestern city that will own you for
years called Cleveland, Ohio. You suck.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I appreciate Gilbert still having faith in me, despite how I constantly put up obstacles for him. I really do appreciate sports "analysts" with nothing more than a 4th grade education ripping on children's signs. I'm wondering if Steinberg has any idea of what grammar is. For some reason, I highly doubt it.

I love how you knock the Cavs and their fans, but fail to remember that no one shows up for Wizards games until the 2nd quarter, and then leave halfway through 4th. No one mentions the fact that the 2 main centers for the Wizards are constantly throwing punches at each other in practice. Talk about team unity eh? You've got a headcase for a leader, that even the coach tells to shut up. You have "Mr 50" that can't get a team to take him for more than league minimum. Then let's talk about coach Eddie Jordan. Has any coach ever whined more to the media than him? After every loss, he never comes out says his team didn't execute etc. It's always "The refs did this, the other team cheated." Take some blame for the patheticness your team exudes. Just remember that in less than a week, Wizards fans or lack thereof will be sitting at home praying for the offseason to bring them some sembelance of a winning organization.

Congratulations getting knocked out of the 1st round for a 2nd straight year.

Posted by: God Himself | April 25, 2007 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Wow. This is a very funny article. Honestly, I laughed my butt off. It's hilarious because all of you know that your team would have no chance in hell to beat my high school team in a 7 game series, let alone a squad with LeBron James playing. You know, I thought Gilbert was the only senseless, overly cocky person around the Wizards organization, but you all have proved me wrong. "Hmmm, our team has no shot at advancing this year, LET'S MAKE FUN OF THE FANS!"

Sure, we show team logos from college on the jumbotron during free throws. Why? Because we actually have an all world athletic university. Combine that with another all world athletic university in Michigan and you get the best rivalry in all of sports.

Bottom line is, we own you guys and everyone of you know it. You're all just mad because you know that in order for there to be a rivalry between two teams they have to be close to even in head-to-head matchups. Since your Wizards are no where close to my Cavs, you all (and your swine of a person you call a sportswriter) are trying to create a rivalry between the fans. Guess what, we have enough. With Michigan, the Steelers and the Pistons, there is no room for your beloved Wizards. Sorry for the inconvience but, until your team decides to man up and win a series, or at least a couple games, against my team, there is no point in discussing a "rivalry". Good luck in the off season ladies.

Posted by: Johnathan | April 25, 2007 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I thought Gilbert Arenas already had a blog. It's on NBA.com. Did he recently get a job writing for the Post too?

What a joke.

Posted by: MK | April 25, 2007 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Like one of the posters said above, Cleveland fans have had to endure some of the most ridiculous circumstance in their citywide quest for a championship; no one can argue that. However, just because you still go to games and cheer, despite not winning in so long does not make Cleveland fans great. One just has to check the message boards of these so called 'die-hard fans', to get a glimpse of the caliber of real Cleveland fan. Instead of getting behind their 50 win basketball team and supporting them all the way, they moan and gripe about any and every possible tidbit of a shortcoming their cavs may or may not posses. Their overwhelming negativity and bitterness leaves a visitor dumbstruck. Cleveland fans one piece of advice, before you begin to hoist yourselves up with other great sports cities (Chicago, Pittsburgh, ect), take a look at what your really about.

Posted by: the visitor | April 25, 2007 9:10 PM | Report abuse

haha i forgot to add washington...of course

Posted by: the visitor 2 | April 25, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

wow, yeah guys, cleveland is such a terrible place to live, MUCH worse than the MURDER CAPITAL OF THE WORLD washington, d.c. i hope you get mugged and beaten outside of the verizon center

Posted by: jon | April 26, 2007 4:54 AM | Report abuse

I was at the first game and yes I made a sign, and it said RISE UP!!! The people providing sign materials said that was how to get on TV. I have made signs for other games... "Beat 'em at the Q, that's how we Do!", and that's what we did. Let's see what happens at your court!

And not all people from Cleveland are fat and lazy. Sorry we are good old Midwestern folk that like to swear and smoke, we still know how to throw an election. But at least we know who we are and are proud. Not like the bratty little bastards that move to DC and mooch off Mom and Dad until their trusts release at the tender age of 35, which is ironically when they finally finish law school and try to play off their wealth as their own. Whatever, don't be bitter that you are well on your way to getting beat twice in a row by the mistake by the lake... and your mama too!!!

Posted by: Alana | April 26, 2007 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Cleveland = midwestern Philadelphia. Enough said.

Oh an btw no Wizards fan in their right mind expects to win a game..we are missing our top two players. If the Cavs were missing Lebron and (insert other player here) and the Wizards were at full strength how many games do you think the Cavs would win?

A terrible team forever who is now good b/c of one lottery draft pick, running your mouths. You should expect to win this series easily and show some class, but apparently not.

And to the "world class athletic university comment" which city has a college near it that has won an NCAA football, ncaa men's basketball and ncaa women's basketball championship? And since 2000 is equal in number of major college sports(football, men's basketball) championships? There are other sports too, if you really want to get into that.

Posted by: Broken Clipboard | April 26, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

So broken clipboard, you sound bitter. Is it because your trust doesn't release until you are 45? Why can't manage money because of the drug problem? Just like your re-elected mayor? and please don't bring womens sports into this, everyone knows those don't count.

Posted by: CHris | April 26, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

All right broken clip board- first off even if you had agent 0 you still would lose. And if Lebron was not in there we still would win. Let's see who your fans act this saturday when the CAVS bring your house down. Also for the NCAA comment you can speak about that when your not sucking off of another state to claim your championships for you.

Posted by: brandon | April 26, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Why does no one want to remember that last years series was pretty damn good - all close games, by no means was it clev dominance, if we had gil/caron this year, who knows what would happen, but its pretty silly to think that clev would just win by default (IMO, it could go either way)...also...(brandon)... really theres no way in hell someone could think that clev w/o lebron would beat the wiz with gil and caron...thats just crazy. and one final thought, any attacks at washington - the area, the fans - those make sense, but attacks about the team - NO ONE HERE IS EXPECTING US TO WIN...comments about how bad we are mean nothing because we make the same comments! Our top two players are out! Our two all stars! Its really pretty basic...

Posted by: kwamebrownsucks | April 26, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

You people are still ridiculously petty. First off the "another state" yeah sure it's another state, a whole 5 miles outside the city..man that's far.

Second off NOBODY HERE IS EXPECTING TO WIN A GAME. NOT A SINGLE FAN. And that's fine. I just got an e-mail offering discounted tickets to Saturday's game because they aren't selling well as we have no chance.

I reiterate: If the opposite case was happening and Gilbert/Caron were in and Labron was out, would you expect to win much? Doubt it.

Nope, no trust fund, don't work in politics, not everyone does.

HAVE SOME CLASS YOU MORONS. You people waste your time going to the opposing team's newspaper website to try and talk some trash when it is obvious that if you don't win this series you shouldn't be allowed back in the NBA next season.

I'm starting to think Ohio is going to rival upstate New York(Bills fans, Syracuse whiners about the NCAA tourney) about being feeling slighted...I guess when you make it to championship games only to lose to Florida is starts to get to you.

Posted by: Broken Clipboard | April 26, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Blogs aren't made for the classy!

And why shouldn't Cavs fans write on here? The title is "More Cheap Shots at Cavs Fans". I don't think it was meant to be taken lying down. The fact that your panties are all twisted because we are defending ourselves is what makes you a vagina.

Posted by: Alana | April 27, 2007 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for coming. Shoulda asked Jordan out of retirement again.

Posted by: Wiz lose | May 2, 2007 1:38 AM | Report abuse

i think you're all a bunch of jackasses and u need to get over your sweep

Posted by: go cavs | May 5, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse