Shootaround Updates From Cleveland
Working on a few items that won't be ready until late afternoon, but here are three nuggets:
1) Gilbert Arenas is not in Cleveland. Caron Butler is. Incidentally, I know what Gilbert's big surprise announcement this weekend will be. But I can't say.
2) DeShawn Stevenson was wandering around the Q after practice wearing an "I Can't Feel My Face" t-shirt with a loose necktie dangling around his neck. An interesting look, to be sure.
3) There is a large gap in the floor of the Q near one baseline, in-bounds. Strange. I could stick a pen in the gap, easily. I did so, and took a photo.
4) The rain might dampen the pre-game Fan Fest, which was supposed to feature a giant "RISE UP!" jersey that fans could autograph. But I figure the rain will only help the Bud Light Party Zone.
5) Mike Brown was asked whether he's reminded his team about its Game 2 loss to the Wizards a year ago this day. "I don't know what happened last year in Game 2 myself, so I can't remind them if I don't know," he said. He was joking. Later, he said "knock on wood" and then knocked on his head. That was also a joke.
6) I asked Z whether he and Songaila talk a bit of Lithuanian trash, as the latter had told me.
"No," Z said. "It's the playoffs. We say hello, we ask how each other's families are, and we move on."
Other reporters had asked the same question yesterday, and this was Z's basic response:
"No, he's not that kind of guy, and neither am I. We just play, basically....It's not part of our game. The trash talk is in the box score."
7) Antawn Jamison is trying to get special wristbands in honor of the Virginia Tech victims. He said the Wiz have also been trying to get some sort of tribute on their jerseys. In the meantime, he's been writing "VT" on his game sneakers. I know this has been on TV, but I don't think I've seen this written anywhere, so I asked Jamison how he came to do this solo tribute.
"You know, it's just the right thing to do," he said. "You really feel for the families that are going through the tragedy, and it was just my way of letting them know that my heart is with them and I feel their pain. You just want to represent, do the proper thing."
He said he thinks he should have his wristbands soon.
The comments to this entry are closed.