The Nats Give Us Something to Smile About

So it's raining, DCU blew a golden chance in Mexico, the Wiz blew a golden chance to gain on Toronto against a bad Charlotte team, and the Nats blew. It could be an awkward next month or so, in terms of cheerful blogging opportunities. The Chesapeake Tide is 1-0 and tied for first with the Steubenville Stampede, but I apparently have a new mandate to write about teams that WaPo readers actually care passionately about, and while the Tide's season-opening crowd of 3,176 wasn't that far off George Washington's average home attendance of 3,403, I'm still not sure it qualifies.

Anyhow, so yeah, it's time to break out the Nats' quest for historical immortality. This, surely, is what will bring fans to their feet during the dog days of mid-April. And the team, it should be noted, is already on a swell historical pace.

Runs Allowed: Modern major league record is 1,199 from the 1930 Phillies, Nats are on pace for 1,458.

Hits Allowed: Modern major league record is (I think) 1,993 from the 1930 Phillies, Nats are on pace for 2,025.

Walks Allowed: Modern major league record is (I think) 827 from the 1915 Philly Athletics, Nats are on pace for 891.

Hit Batsmen: Modern major league record is 95 from the 2003 Devil Rays, Nats are on pace for just 81.

Runs Scored: Modern major league record is 463 from the 1969 White Sox (162-game season), or 2.4 runs per game from the 1908 St. Louis Cardinals (all seasons). Nats are on pace for 405, which would be the 162-game record, although they are averaging a too-hefty 2.5 per game, which would not top those dead-ball Cardinals.

Losses: Modern major league record is 120 from the 1962 Mets, Nats are on pace for 162.

The Nats are currently last in the NL in hits allowed, runs allowed, earned runs allowed, ERA and walks allowed. Their .194 batting average, however, is 14th in the NL. Everyone knew the hitters would carry this ballclub.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 4, 2007; 9:44 AM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Final Final Local Hoops Poll
Next: WNBA Draft Day!

Comments

The only time I enjoyed myself last night was when I got a chance to heckle the Meat Hook. Good lord that game was crappy.

Wiz better not let me down again tonight, I'm not happy.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | April 4, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

um, awesome!

In more important news, the Tide square off with the Stampede from the St. Johns Arena is lovely Steubenville, Ohio, with 1st place on the line, next Friday night, April 13th ...

(yes, I have a Tide pocket schedule on my computer)

Posted by: littles | April 4, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Last night was just plain awful. I would have dealt with the Wiz circling the drain and the Nats expected misery if Troy Perkins hadn't gently Ruffin'd the ball into the goal.

Posted by: Kev | April 4, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

At least the Capitals won 1-0 (Ovechkin goal, Kolzig shutout), so the night wasn't a complete disaster.

Posted by: Vincent | April 4, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, the Capitals win is really helping everyone in DC keep their spirits up. Yup.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Does Teddy still have a chance? or is he indefinitely linked to the record of the Nats, in which case how could he have been the original Rough Rider!

Posted by: Sway | April 5, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Dan you give me something to smile about as you giggle like a school girl talking about polo!!!
Please take me with you, I love high brow tequila!!!!

Well done making the move to "live media"

Posted by: Sway | April 5, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

That tide game was awesome! It was good to see Arena Football in Maryland. Wasn't there a team here a decade ago that played at the capital cetner? Do you think this arena team has a chance with Big Bad Danny Snider looming 6 miles down the road? Hey at least these guys won and I'm sure they aren't pampered millionaires. The talent was comperable to Arena 1 Football and that really surprised me. The game was intense and didn't cost me half of my rent check to attend. I'll drink dollar beers ANYDAY! Football to boot? Go Tidalwaves! I am now a fan.

Posted by: Spencer | April 5, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse