Why Cavs Fans Rule: A Photo Essay

With unhappiness still spewing out of Cleveland, I wanted to make it up to my fellow Rust Belters with a photo essay on their awesomeness. Not sure if it was because yesterday's game was a weekday night allowing for plenty of prep time, or because I spent more time in "Loudville" (the upper level of The Q), or because I was just looking harder, but there were a fair share of amusing fans out and about. And this doesn't even include the two guys who accosted me and asked to be interviewed early in the first quarter. Trust me, these guys were doing really, really well for the first quarter. One of them had spilled beer all down the front of his jersey.

All the fans I talked with were exceedingly kind, and none made any of the "murder capital" jokes that have proved so popular in that link above. Apologies for the poor formatting of these photos; that's all I know how to do.

The sign that lured me up to Loudville. I laughed out loud. Tom Cook, left, and Eric Smith.

This guy actually got on TV, I believe. Name is Nikola Tumbas.

Nikola's buddy, Josh Meldrum, had tied seven playoff towels together, "because it's awesome," he said. The resulting twirl was definitely impressive.

What happened to my flash? Anyhow, this is Will Anderson. The day Carlos Boozer left for Utah, Will took his Boozer jersey to a shop and paid 79 cents to get an "L" plastered over the "B."

There were actually a lot of signs with this theme. Here is Joe Fitch.

In honor of "Wild Thing Day," the Indians passed out Wild Thing glasses last night. There were tons of 'em in The Q by the end, with lots of fans double dipping both games. From left, Marie Becer, Matt Szugye and Jim Organ.

Didn't get his name, but this fella had shirt off and wristbands on and was flexing for everyone in sight.

Sitting in the very last row, a bunch of Damon Jones fans. Among them they had probably six signs about Damon.

I saw this on the ground after the game. Made me feel warm and fuzzy. I had suggested the exact same sign earlier this week. Well done, all.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 26, 2007; 2:38 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Larry Hughes Party Train
Next: The Taylor Twins

Comments

Cavs fans rule? These fans suck. Reminds me of that 'Shoes' video. Yeah, link to that instead... I mean, look at those signs. Scraping the barrel here...

Posted by: mikem | April 26, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

No more pandering to the Flaming Swords fans please.

Posted by: Prophet | April 26, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

"and none made any of the "murder capital" jokes that have proved so popular"

To be fair, I have been known to murder for capital.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 26, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Although I always forget to sign my work.

Seriously though, nobody cares what Cleveland fans think of Washington although it is amusing to read the inane ramblings.

"But at least we know who we are and are proud. Not like the bratty little bastards that move to DC and mooch off Mom and Dad until their trusts release at the tender age of 35, which is ironically when they finally finish law school and try to play off their wealth as their own."
-Alana

Yep, everybody in DC is actually a transplant from somewhere else living off of a trust fund. Retard.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | April 26, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

To busy watching your sorry ass team get just close enough to give up another LeBron dunk or open jumer to Drew Gooden. Drew Gooden??? You guys couldn't guard Drew Gooden??? Are you kidding me???

Oh well, at least Wiz fans can make a sweet sign, I guess...

FTS

Posted by: FearThe Sword | April 26, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Rise Up is lame....who approved that as the playoff tag line? Not sure if any other team has something like that.

Posted by: Adam from Ohio | April 26, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

fear the sword?

bwahahahahahahahahaha

Posted by: littles | April 26, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Littles beat me to the punch, but...

Fear the Sword: For real? A giant sword that spews flames hanging from a Jumbotron is supposed to strike fear into my heart?

Also, I'm not even a Wizards fan (Bulls. I just dig the bog's style) but isn't Drew Gooden supposed to be, you know, fairly good? Is he not a perennial underachiever with loads of unrealized talent? The Wizards lack size at the best of times and right now their PF is their only reliable scorer so he's not expeding a lot of effort on defense. It's not very surprising that Gooden can hit a couple open jumpers under the circumstances.

Posted by: jr | April 26, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz can't guard ANY power forward! But I love them all the same.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | April 26, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zuke | April 26, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

unsilent majority: That's my point exactly. I would furthermore posit that the Wizards can't adequately guard anyone at ANY position (but especially opposing bigs who are credible offensive threats) with or without Gilbert and Caron but that certainly shouldn't impede your love for them. My comment was more on the shortcomings of Drew Gooden. Actually I just can't stand Cavs diehards who are arrogant despite the fact that their team hasn't been to the Conference Finals since 91-92. At least when Pistons fans whine about their supposed dynasty there's a kernel of truth behind the grandiosity. Unfortunately the Cavs have to resort to threatening the world at large with flamethrowing swords.

Posted by: jr | April 26, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

et tu steinz. what is this crap? steinberg you have let us down. why are you alienating your base?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 26, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

FTS, why post a link to your blog? You already have DOZENS of visitors.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | April 26, 2007 7:41 PM | Report abuse

"The Cavs fans that recently post in this bog are angry because they missed out on the playoff ticket lottery. That's what happens when you're fairweather fans. If you want a seat, buy a season ticket package and actually root for your team during the regular season."

Or just drive down to DC. Good seats still available! Just FYI, the Cavs sold nearly 100,000 seats this year than the Wizards did.

Posted by: jcm | April 26, 2007 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I am glad to see I was actually quoted on here. Does that mean I really got to you? I hope so. All we are doing is defending our title as best fans in sports. We are dedicated and loyal. We may be retarded at times but that's why we are in Cleveland?

Truth is if any of you from DC went to one of the games at the Q, you would have the time of your life. We might dog you the whole time, but it always fun. So cash in some of your inherited bonds and make the trip, drop my name at the door and you may get some extra "stadium" mustard on your hot dog.

Posted by: Alana | April 27, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Good signs.

Hope WE have the HUGE DIFF tomorrow night.

Posted by: Nancy | April 27, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

jcm - you do understand that selling a seat (the reported numbers) and actually going are 2 completely different things. DC is notorious for having "sold out" games, yet you still see about 3,000 empty seats.

Posted by: Zuke | April 27, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

So you are not a real fan unless you are a season ticket holder. Sounds like something a trustfund baby would say. So,watching every game (on tv, or live), unless you get raped at the box office you are just a fairweather fan.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.

Posted by: alana | April 27, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

You can't become a knowledgable fan if all you do is watch the games on TV. There are things you miss that contribute to the understanding of the entire presentation when you're not there live.

It's like reading a textbook. Anyone can say s/he read Introduction to Microbiology. However, how much microbiology can you really understand if you don't get to the lab and conduct experiments? Or at least empirically watch experiments being conducted.

I come from a very small town that didn't have cable television until 1995. There is no way I can justify saying "I'm a knowledgable NBA fan" if all I watch were NBA on NBC games on Sundays only.

If you don't want to pay to see the games live, then that's your loss. If you don't want to pay to absorb more knowledge and information, then that's your loss.

Posted by: Zuke | April 27, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

How can you afford season tickets, if you can't even afford cable? And your reasoning is idiotic. Cheerleaders are at every live game, so you are saying they know more than some kid that follows a teams every move but can't make the games.

*You were also carefull to write s/he, which makes me think you are a chick... are you moody because you have your period? Take a midol and Shut UP!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

forgot to sign the above. Want to make sure you know who to whine to when you read it.

Posted by: Alana | April 27, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

dan steinberg is possibly the worst columnists in the history of bad journalism

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

'dan steinberg is possibly the worst columnists in the history of bad journalism
'

way to leave an anonymous comment there bub!

it's called balls, grow some

Posted by: littles | April 28, 2007 12:04 AM | Report abuse

"You can't be a knowledgable fan if all you do is watch games on T.V."

Give me a break, any fan can be as knowledgable as they want to be. Watching games on T.V. has i'ts advantages as well.

So, Mr. Season Ticket holder from small town, are you as "knowledgable" as someone who actually PLAYED the game himself? Does that make you lesser of a human being? Get off you're high horse man!

Great article by the way.

Posted by: Ben, Ohio | April 28, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

It's simple to tell that these so called "Cavs fans" just like to talk with an egotistical attitude without bringing up any specific examples of what they're talking about. In other words, "Cavs fans" make an opinionated comment without any backing.

To "Anonymous/Alana" - you need to learn how to READ before typing a response. How did you make the association of me not having the money for cable and having money for season tickets? Did I say I couldn't afford cable tv? I said my small town didn't have a cable tv service. Another point you're wrong about is that NBA has dancers, not cheerleaders. Ask them and they'll tell you they're not cheerleaders. NFL football has cheerleaders. Also, NBA dancers don't watch the live games (if they have time to watch) in the same manner that regular fans do. However, because they are at the games live, they are offered the same presentation opportunities as ticket holders. But people watching it on the tube are not offered the same presentation.

In a more or less capitalistic society, if you don't have the money (from education to entertainment), you don't have the opportunity. So don't complain that you're being gouged by ticket prices because that's how this country works.

To "Ohio Ben" - you mention the advantages of watching games on tv, yet you don't mention any specifics. You can't honestly say that watching games LIVE is worst than watching games on tv, especially for "knowledgable" NBA fans. Even the worst seats at any NBA arena gives the knowledgable fan enough to enjoy the presentation. If you're really a knowledgable fan, you don't need to sit close to enhance your enjoyment of the sport. And on your point about playing the game to be knowledgable - I can only be knowledgable about the game from the fan perspective. You're trying to lump both perspectives together and that's where your reasoning is incorrect. Fans learn about the game in one way and players learn the game in another. There are certain aspects where crossovers exist, but as only a fan, the best I can do is watch the game at the arena.

Posted by: Zuke | April 28, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Zuke, you are the one that brought up this B.S. that somehow you are more knowledgable simply because you attend more games than most.

Do you keep a score book? Stats? Player tendencies?

Well some do, and they are probably more "knowlwdgabe" than you. So what.

And as far as reasoning, i will use reason when you start to.

As far as examples, unless you have Hubie Brown sittingt next to you in the arena, I would say that is one example of an advantage of watching the game on T.V. There you go bub.

F.Y.i I am a partial season ticket holder for the Cavs and go to many games, but you don't see me taking my "frustrated Cavs Fan anxiety" out on "the less knowlegable"

Say you are more knowledgable than me, You're still a Wizzard fan. Advantage Me.

Posted by: Ben, Ohio | April 28, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

is it just me, or does dan smell funny?

i think he might have passed some sort of disease to the wizards, resulting in two players dropping with significant injuries and the team being swept by lebron james...

well, you guys have your expos

i mean nationals