Wiz Playoff Possibilities

[Edit: I'm an idiot, there is a long proud history of Beatles-inspired basketball shirts, many apologies to all the fine makers out there. Raptors fans are now free to make whatever shirts they like and I'll stay quiet. Note especially this post, and this post, and this post, and thanks for the links.]

So, if the season ended today, it's Wiz-Raptors. For the record, the Wiz would have drop three games to NJ over the final six to fall to seventh (NJ wins any tiebreaker), or at least four games to Orlando to fall to eighth (tiebreaker could still go either way). As for opponents, Toronto is closing in on Chicago/Cleveland for the second seed, (one and a half games back of both), but would likely lose a tiebreaker to Chicago and would definitely lose a tiebreaker to Cleveland, while the Raptors are now two up on Miami but would lose that tiebreaker. In other words, while Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago and Miami all remain possibilities, overwhelmingly, the odds favor a Washington-Toronto first-round matchup.

Which is good, because Raptors fans evidently share our love of making quirky t-shirts. For example:

Clearly they love the Wizznutzz the World.

This one is sort of opaque, which is good.

And this one scares me.

But "Dread the Red?" That's, how shall I say, dumb. I mean, awful. The Wizards might be in trouble in this series, and players are admitting to being a tad worried, but if they go down hard to Toronto it won't be because of Red Dreading. I guess all that's left is for Wiz fans to counter with some old-fashioned Red Baiting. They're Canadians, after all.

Also, you'll note that Raptors fans have started a petition asking the team to hand out red t-shirts during the playoffs. As Tania, one of the 74 (and counting) signers, notes: "They gave out purple headbands in 01. Why nottshirts?" Why not, Tania, why not? Fans are variously referring to such a promotion as "Red Sea" or "Red Tide." This, too, makes me optimistic about the Wizards' chances.

[Pessimism update: The Wiz are now 39-37, the exact record they had last year at this time. Until they lost to the Bobcats at home, the Wiz had been consistently ahead of last year's pace since mid-December. No more.]

[Pessimism update Part II: Quotes from that Wash Times story:

DeShawn Stevenson: "I think everyone is putting too much pressure on. You can tell just by the atmosphere. It's pretty tight right now, and it's going to be like that until we get a win."

Jarvis Hayes: "It's tight. It's tight around here."]

Tight not in a good way, I guess.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 9, 2007; 10:59 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cal Backs Out of Imus Appearance
Next: Juan Dixon Calls Out the Wiz

Comments

What a joke. That Mothering Hut knock-off shirt is horrible.

Anthony? TJ? Who cares.

They dont have a Rod Strickland, or a Darvin Ham, or God. So why would anyone buy that shirt?

Posted by: the cheat | April 9, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I could have sworn it was a Stones shirt (it had "Brian," on it, not "Mick" (Taylor) or "Ronnie"), first. I have a picture of Nick Lowe's girlfriend wearing one.

Posted by: KD | April 9, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

They certainly love The Whizznutz ripping the idea from Experimental Jetset - and it was the Beatles...not the Stones (which did come later)

Posted by: Scott Sargent | April 9, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

As a Raps fan, I hang my head in shame when I look at that Raps/Beatles t-shirt. I mean, we finally have a bench on our team, and they get no love on that shirt? That is just insulting:
It should have read:
Hump&
Spanish Jose&
Il Mago&
Juan&
MoPete&
Joey

Ah, screw it, the only way this t-shirt would even be amusing would be if we could fit Uros Slokar and Pape Sow's names onto it, but they aren't even in the rotation.

Posted by: 10FootBongz | April 9, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

"And it's certainly possible Raps fans thought of that on their own."

But not likely. Wizznutzz rule!

Posted by: Lindemann | April 9, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

THanks, Scott.

Posted by: KD | April 9, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me? I thought that shirt was first started at No Mas with the Fab 5 and UNLV editions....

and 74 signatures is nowhere near 300 for an online poll about Gus Johnson.

Suck it [edited]

Posted by: Awful Announcing | April 9, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

"They're Canadians, after all."

Nice.

Posted by: HN | April 9, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Hater

Posted by: North--siida | April 9, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

how stupid and ignorant can one be?

Posted by: lame | April 9, 2007 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Did your mom not hug you as a child??

this cry for attention is rediculus, i mean they are Canadians after all what does that mean???

its sick that you have to go lurking through raptor websites to see their ideas??

how about you worry about the wiz and the freefall they are on.

Oh and RAPS are going to BEAT DOWN the lowly wiz.
See your sorry excuse for a basketball team in the playoffs FOOL

Posted by: R J | April 9, 2007 7:56 PM | Report abuse

What does this douche think ...
Canadians havent discovered internet yet...and that we wouldnt be offended by his arrogant comments.

I think im going to make a T-shirt about how stupid and sad this blog entry is...

whatta douche

Posted by: Anonymous | April 9, 2007 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey Canada, while I stand by my comments that "Dread the Red" isn't the world's best slogan, I think you missed the point on red baiting. No one really speaks positively of red baiting, in the political sense, which is obviously how I meant it. That was a subtle jab at red-baiting U.S. politicos and the lazy stereotype of lefty Canadians. Too subtle, perhaps. Look, I grew up about 45 minutes from the Canadian border, listening to As it Happens and eating real Smarties. I'm on your side.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | April 9, 2007 8:36 PM | Report abuse

yeah, you are right... they should just stick to the 'no, not possible, not possible' t-shirts. perhaps with a mugshot of ruffin.

Posted by: to | April 10, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

red-baiting - you better

what a lame joke...yes canada is on the left side and were proud of it! think about reworking some of your social policies dc...

and why on earth does a writer for a decent paper care about FAN WEBSITES that maeke theyre own t-shirts...THEYRE FOR FUN

dread the red is a good slogan, and its not like its a personal attack on the wizards, its on everybody! what would you rather it be? "welcome to toronto, i hope we have a fair, gentlemenly matchup of hoops"?

anyway, were not facing the wizards...and theyre gonna get swept...

GO RAPTORS