Wizardly Postage Stamps

The biggest news of the day? Clearly the late-breaking word that the Wizards were issuing commemorative postage stamps, featuring the images of Gilbert Arenas, Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison, Etan Thomas and DeShawn Stevenson. I mean, that's stop the presses news. And please, save me your jokes about the Wizards mailing it in.

Naturally, I rushed to the locker room to gauge the reaction to this neither-snow-nor-rain-nor-heat-nor-gloom-of-night news. The reaction was, well, muted.

"What happened?" Antawn Jamison said when I asked about the postage stamps. "I didn't hear about it. I'm always the last one to know."

Not true. No one knew. When I asked about the postage stamp news, Brendan Haywood asked if the mail service had increased rates, and Andray Blatche asked what a "poster stamp" was. DeShawn Stevenson refused to believe that his face would be on a stamp; finally, I convinced him that I wasn't joking, and asked him to compare being on a stamp to his other memorabilia.

Antawn Jamison stamps. You can use 'em while you buy playoff tickets.

"I've got to actually see the postage stamp," he said, "but anything with my face on it I think is phenomenal."

The next question, I guess, is which Wizard would be best-suited for being on a stamp. The popular opinion in the stands seemed to be Caron Butler; "Caron and DeShawn, they're animated, and I don't mean that in a bad way," season ticket holder Darlene Harris said. "They have vibrant-enough personalities to come through a still picture."

"I like Michael Ruffin," Besse Dailer said, despite the fact that Ruff's head is on no postage that I know of. "I would wait until the second edition comes out so I can get a Michael Ruffin stamp."

Look, I'm trying to be creative here. Bear with me. In pursuit of this stamp information I almost got trampled by fans seeking free Gilbert Arenas jerseys; I also met Aaron Goldstein, who claimed to be a huge fan of "Washington Post Live" despite the fact that he was wearing a "PTI" cap, and that the two shows air at the same time. Anyhow, the final question: would you actually mail a letter bearing a Wizard postage stamp.

"I'd mail my taxes with Wizards stamps, absolutely," Georgetown play-by-play man Rich Chvotkin said.

"Why shouldn't I?" Jamison asked. "I've got to pay bills, too, baby."

"Of course," Butler said. "That's the biggest swag of the year right there. To have yourself on the postage stamp? That's unbelievable. Oh, man, I'll pay all my bills with that right there. I'm going to send that everywhere, I'm going to make sure I get like 10 books of that."

Others were, well, less enthusiastic.

"Hell no," Haywood said.

"I don't mail nothing, I don't do any of that stuff," Blatche said when I asked if he'd pay bills with Wizards postage.

"Sure, whatever," Roger Mason said.

"That'd be weird, huh," said Gilbert Arenas Sr., who was the only Gilbert Arenas available to the media tonight. "That would be weird. I'd have to see one, but if it's a regular stamp, why not? If it's free," he concluded, laughing.

He hadn't heard about the stamps, either. Literally not one person I asked had heard about the stamps. I mean, what planet are they living on? For the record, the stamps are available at WashingtonWizards.com as of today, and they come in sheets of 20, and Susan O'Malley said in the release that this was "exceptional" postage, a word with which I can't disagree. I mean, you can't argue that a little prompt deliverance would come in handy right about now. Even if a sheet of 20 stamps appears to cost $19.95, which strikes me as a 256 percent markup. Whatever.

[Edit: MJD points out that the product description indicates only nine stamps to an order, not 20, as the press release says. That would increase the markup somewhat. If you're on a budget, you might want to look elsewhere for your postage needs.]

So I leave you with Andrea Butler, Caron's wife. I asked her whether she'd mail a letter affixed with her husband's postage.

"Of course I would," she said. "He's cute enough to be on a piece of mail."

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 17, 2007; 7:57 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Local Urinal Advertising Update
Next: What You Need to Know

Comments

Hilarious

Posted by: miestersean | April 17, 2007 10:25 PM | Report abuse

How do I get a Mike Hall stamp?

Seriously.

Posted by: ballin' | April 18, 2007 7:02 AM | Report abuse

"Cute enough"? She is obviously getting used to seeing him all the time - the man is beautiful!

Posted by: b | April 18, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

"Andray Blatche asked what a "poster stamp" was"

I love you An-dray.

"but anything with my face on it I think is phenomenal."

You too De-Shawn

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | April 18, 2007 8:54 AM | Report abuse

There's a few companies that do this. Dan, I sent you a sample of your own stamp.

Posted by: thebigc1982 | April 18, 2007 8:58 AM | Report abuse

If any of you have actually heard my voice, I mumble a lot. I think maybe this was unfair to Andray. I think maybe he just didn't hear me. People are always asking me what in the world I'm trying to say.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | April 18, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

You know, the post office won't issue stamps with someone's likeness until that person has passed away.

Like the Wizards' season.

Posted by: Captain Caveman | April 18, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

How pissed was BTH?

Posted by: Prophet | April 18, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

"Hell no," Haywood said. LOL. A negatory guy. And a bad player.

I LOVED THE WIZARDS LAST NIGHT! Team played with such heart.

CARON WAS THE BEST! And don't tell me he didn't suit up -- that's not the point. In that nice grey suit, he stood and sat and stood and sat and cheered and yelled and clapped and pumped his fist. Great game by Caron. Go Caron!

Stamps. THAT's what you were interviewing people about before the game. (Easy to see you -- light reflects on head and makes it easier to read my program on the 200 level, LOL. Sorry, just joking.)

Now, being a clever girl, I obtained 3 of the t-shirts from the girl. Enough for a sports bog contest -- 'cept me and Bill were sitting next to three very cute little kids, so we HAD to give them the shirts. Sorry.

There MUST be more jerseys. I look for them to appear at playoffs. Hmm: As to fan appreciation . . . . It appears that they only appreciate the 100-level fans so far. No giant bobblehead dolls on parachutes -- at least so far as I coud tell.

So, that's the view from the stands -- I actually felt a little appreciated -- liked the videotaped messages.

Oh, and WOW, since I'm a girl perhaps it's safer for me to say it:

Those short gold Arenas jerseys the Wizards dancers wore on the first number? WOW! Those were great! Fun, fun, fun. Many male members in my section seemed to think so too.

Posted by: Nancy | April 18, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm the aaron goldstein quoted in this bog and it's true that I like Washington Post Live but I got the PTI hat long before WRL was in existence but if anyone has any WPL apparel they would like me to where I have no problem if you send me some.

Posted by: aarong | April 18, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm the aaron goldstein quoted in this bog and it's true that I like Washington Post Live but I got the PTI hat long before WRL was in existence but if anyone has any WPL apparel they would like me to wear I have no problem if you send me some.

Posted by: aarong | April 18, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

While the idea of commemorative postage featuring the Wizards is great, putting pictures on stamps isn't a new thing. In fact, anyone can make their own photo postage, just go to photo.stamps.com

So it looks like Michael Ruffin could get his face on postage after all.

(And yes, I do work for the Postal Service)

Posted by: G-$ | April 18, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

that's awesome, I want a few

Posted by: Larry Brown | April 18, 2007 9:08 PM | Report abuse