Clinton Portis Endorses Dog Fighting

Last week, you might recall, I included Robert Fick's response to the allegations of Michael Vick being involved in this dog-fighting stuff.

"Who cares?" Fick said. "Leave him alone."

Portis: The legal system is broken. (By Jonathan Newton - TWP)

The whole tone of our conversation was not super serious, and Fick hadn't even heard about the situation, so this didn't seem like too big a deal. But Clinton Portis's response? More troubling. This video allows Portis to say what he really thinks about the issue to Mary Kay Mallonee of WAVY in Hampton Roads. The highlights:

Portis: "I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property and it's his dog. If that's what he wants to do, do it."

Samuels: [Laughing nervously, rolling eyes, looking for an exit]

Portis: "You know, what people do behind closed doors..."

Mallonee: "But that's a felony. It's a crime."

Portis: "It can't be too bad of a crime...."

Sadly, the interview cuts away at this point, so we don't get to hear exactly why it can't be too bad of a crime, although later Portis says "I think people should mind their business," and also that he knows where you can go catch some dog-fighting in Mississippi. Regarding Vick, granted, we're all talking hypotheticals until anything comes out officially, and we probably shouldn't be talking at all (See: ESPN ombudsman), but for Portis to posit the hypothetical and then still support the idea of committing a felony--a felony that doesn't really count if it's behind closed doors--seems a bit off.

Samuels, naturally, gets it right, asking the world not to pick away at Vick's reputation, or what's left of it, before he's convicted of anything, and not commenting further.

Anyhow, over in the Wash Times today, a story on Vick's town includes the following:

Residents also have questioned why Vick immediately sold the house for half its assessed value of $747,000. A business owner said "heads will turn" when the name of the buyer is revealed.

Opinion in my household is split on this anonymous, mind-blowing, head-turning name. I say Adam Archuleta, my wife thinks Shawn Springs.

(Via Pro Football Talk and FanHaus)

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 21, 2007; 10:54 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Port-a-Racin' at the Preakness
Next: Luciano Emilio Would Crush Jordin and Blake

Comments

My guess? Allen Iverson

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | May 21, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

and I'm incredibly disappointed in my man Clinton this morning.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | May 21, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Marcus Vick

Posted by: Kim | May 21, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Uh-oh.

Sounds like Southeast Jerome's gonna get a wig full of red paint at his next presser.

Posted by: MDT | May 21, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Dogfightaphobia is apparently the last acceptable form of bigotry in this country.

Posted by: athea | May 21, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Joe Gibbs

Posted by: MDT | May 21, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Sonya Elliot

Posted by: Reader Glenn | May 21, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Did he really just call his street "The Moonlight?"

I think Kim has the winner. And what does it say about your neighborhood when you're hoping Allen Iverson moves in rather than some of the other possible candidates?

Posted by: bryc3 | May 21, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Other suggestions for the homebuyer:

Ron Mexico
Coach Beemer
Robin Rexcoat
Jerry Fallwell
Bob Costas
Clinton Portis

Posted by: Kim | May 21, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Steve Goff

Posted by: sitruc | May 21, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Portis needs a dose of reality. He's another in a string of useless athletes making the good ones look like dirt. I will surely not support his bloated salary by supporting his team or their sponsers.

Posted by: Bob | May 21, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

That's really disappointing. It's hard to imagine anyone being that insulated or oblivious that they'd think it was ok to speak out in a public fashion in favor of dogfighting. Maybe he can get together with Tim Hardaway for drinks sometime.

Posted by: Mike | May 21, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

He made a dumb mistake, I'm not sure that warrants labeling him as a "useless athlete"

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | May 21, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I think it was knee jerk reaction on Portis' part in that he was trying to defend vick against what he sees as over meddlesome reporting but I hope he realizes he was wrong...very wrong to defend these actions and he should make a statement to that effect. I hope he re-assesses his position on dog fighting. I think his comments show a tendency to think that because they make a lot of money that pro athletes are above the law.

Posted by: congero | May 21, 2007 8:08 PM | Report abuse

M Vick obviously has issues. He is like an angry person going around looking for ways to act out...No...maybe he IS an angry person looking for ways to act out. In the end he is the one getting hurt. Hope someone can help him out but condoning his actions or making appologies for them or excusing them because of sociological factors is more BS than I care to swallow.

Posted by: congero | May 21, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm only commenting again because...well you know why.
For those not in the loop. I bought the house. I'll be returning next week.

Posted by: sitruc | May 21, 2007 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone talk to or prep these guys before they do media appearances? Vick's actions are self-explanatory, but Portis put himself right alongside Vick with his commments.
Congero's post below is right, he was probably instinctively defending a fellow player he sees as the subject of excessive media scrutiny.

Posted by: sportsmediatraining.com | May 22, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

My pitbull is a lot smarter than Portis. And got more talent than Vick. This shows how classless, coward, ignorant, stupid douchebag Portis is. If he sees dog-fighting all the time, why doesn't he report it? It shows that he tolerates it and probably enjoys it too. Turd!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 22, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Ron Artest?

Posted by: bartthepooch | May 22, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

this still active?

Posted by: ATL | May 22, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see D.C. attitude on dog fighters and those who condone it. After hearing portis' comments on Vick and and his nonchalant attitude on the sub-human act of dogfighting, it is obivious that his retraction is only spin and reeks of insincerity. Any comment from your owner yet? PS You should have never traded Champ PSS Has anyone seen Vicks latest interview?It amazes me how stupid these athletes can be.

Posted by: ATL | May 22, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

As a rescuer of abused Pitbulls, I find it deplorable that many athletes think this way and try to condone dog fighting. It is a cowardly and evil past time. These dogs do not enjoy fighting as many people believe, they are just very loyal and will do whatever their caregiver tells them to do. I have met Samuels a couple of times and thought of him as a class act, I guess I will have to rethink that. Athletes have a spotlight and open forum, they should be more careful on how they use that medium.

Posted by: netdog | May 22, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Dog fighting is a felony crime in Virginia. That is the law! In ridiculing the Vick investigation and supporting dog fighting, it appears that Portis and Samuels have finally revealed the character flaws that have kept them both from reaching their full potential as professional athletes and as human beings. Who really needs any more overpaid, spoiled rotten, sadistic, underperforming jocks?

Posted by: Doowadiddy | May 22, 2007 7:32 PM | Report abuse

So Portis and Samuels finally revealed the character flaws that have kept them from reaching their God given potential as athletes and human beings. Who really needs anymore overpaid, underperforming, not-real-bright, sadistic jocks?

Posted by: Doowadiddy | May 22, 2007 7:36 PM | Report abuse

As you may have heard or read, Redskins player Clinton Portis made his thoughts on dog fighting clear this past week while defending fellow football player Michael Vick in a television interview; he's all for it! Following are a few of his intelligent comments:

"I think people should mind their business, you know. I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property, his dog, if that's what he wants to do, do it." Also, "I'm from Laurel, Mississippi, so I know a lot of backroads that got a dog fight if you want to go see it."

Wow, what an uneducated loser; he can't even speak English articulately! Does this animal torture advocate deserve to represent the National Football League? The Washington Redskins? Clinton Portis is an ignorant, small-town thug who unfortunately has the power to influence youngsters with his words...that is really scary.

Please write or call the Washington Redskins AND the Clinton Portis Foundation and let them know how you feel! Dog fighting is cruel, heinous and A FELONY. This is unacceptable behavior! Following is contact information:

Washington Redskins PR Contacts:
Chris Helein: 703-726-7053 or heleinc@redskins.com
Patrick Wixted: 703-726-7053 or wixtedp@redskins.com
Will Norman: 703-726-7036 or normanw@redskins.com
Shelby Morrison: 703-726-7095
21300 Redskins Park Drive
Ashburn, VA 20147

Clinton Portis Foundation
1712 NE Waldo Road, Suite C
Gainesville, FL 32609
Tel: 352-264-6900
Email: rodneylong@clintonportis.com

Posted by: A. Loganberry | May 22, 2007 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Mike Vick is an idiot if he is involved in this garbage. Clinton Portis is a bigger idiot and if it is not so bad, someone should inject him with needles and let him fight someone until either he or the other party is mortally wounded. Clinton Portis is hot trash.

Posted by: Darth Hater | May 23, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

These athletes are just like the drug dealers who always seem to be into pit bulls and dog fighting. I mean face it, the only difference between a lot these athletes and being a drug dealer is about 0.2 seconds in the 40 yard dash, or a couple of inches in vertical jump.

Posted by: observer | May 23, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | May 21, 2007 02:54 PM

I really pity you if that is your thought process. Choosing a dinner fork instead of your salad fork is a mistake; dogfighting is a barbaric heinous lifestyle choice for true bottom feeders. Maybe you should check it out?

Posted by: Vinvicktive | June 7, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Portis is useless... agreed. i hope Vick, Portis and Samuels suffer for this the entire year. they deserve it. Fools.

Posted by: Chiareality | June 12, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse