Lunch With Bobby Boswell
If you have a blog that relies on droll anecdotes concerning local athletes and you're ever short on material, just head to the Georgetown "Hoya Court" in the campus student center and sit around idly, counting on MLS defender of the year Bobby Boswell to show up randomly at some point with his girlfriend, a Georgetown graduate student who has hundreds and hundreds of dollars left on her school "Go Card," dollars that she needs to spend within the next few weeks before they expire, which is why she decided to bring her professional soccer-playing boyfriend, who wanted some KFC mashed potatoes but instead wound up with potato wedges, plus a whole bunch of chicken and some Taco Bell stuff, but not nearly hundreds of dollars worth.
That's what I did today, anyhow. I came for the pro lacrosse team media day, but stayed for the pro soccer player fast food binge. Plus, I got a free iced-tea out of the deal, when Bobby Boswell didn't want the drink that came with his Chicken Gordita combo, since he already had a drink from his KFC combo. Probably I will now have to donate $1.09 to a charity of his choice in order to preserve the appearance of journalistic objectivity.
Anyhow, since I'm short on material, I will gladly report the following Bobby Boswell facts:
1) Bobby Boswell attempted to drop his parents off in Lot 8 following Sunday's win over Chivas. In Lot 8, delirious fans were chasing after Jaime Moreno when he drove by. Fans didn't chase after Bobby's car. They asked him to get out of the way. Plus, one kid threw a football at the car.
"Unless I have my uniform on, they have no idea who I am," he said, which I don't entirely believe. But he also said that on the DCU team flights (they fly commercial), they have to wear either team suits or training gear, and people in the adjoining seats will inevitably ask who they are, and whether they're a college team, or what their real jobs are.
"No, like, you don't understand, it's a league," Bobby will tell them.
"Oh, should I get your autograph?" they will then ask Bobby.
2) Wait, Bobby Boswell's parents were in town and they didn't contact me? After all I've done for them? I didn't even get a chance to share a Mocha Frappachino with Mrs. Boswell? That smarts. Especially since sources close to the situation indicate that Official DCU Beat Writer Steve Goff exchanged pleasantries with Mrs. Boswell at a DCU practice.
3) The highlights of the parental visit included a trip to Old Ebbitt Grill and a tour of the White House, during which Mr. Boswell, who has been on the tour before, gently corrected their tour guide for incorrect information. Truly, no blog in the world offers as much information on Bobby Boswell's parents as this one.
4) The White House tour was also attended by Clyde Simms's girlfriend, who actually went to high school with Bobby Boswell's girlfriend, who also went to high school with Jim Plunkett's daughter, Joe Cannon, "Mr. Mariucci's kids" and "Mr. Montgomery's" kids, Mr. Mariucci being Steve and Mr. Montgomery being Mike. Quite the athletic pedigree there.
5) During Devon McTavish's appearance in the Apple Blossom Festival Firefighters' Parade last weekend, he rode in an open Corvette and waved to the crowd. Bobby thought this was worth noting.
6) Oh, also, Bobby and girlfriend and parents got the Mayweather-De La Hoya fight. Didn't know this, but Bobby has spent a decent amount of time doing cardio training in boxing gyms, including one in D.C. His parents are fight fans, and they always watched the fights growing up. His girlfriend is not. Which is why they tried to convince her that the boxer in the lead always has to wear red shoes, and that if the points lead changes, the boxers have to switch shoes. Anyhow, for the record, Bobby thought De La Hoya should have been rewarded for taking the fight to Mayweather.
7) BobbyBoswell.com is running a contest in which, by taking a photo with Bobby in public, you can win a pair of his game shorts. If you're thinking, "that sounds like an awful lot of work for a sort of strange reward," you're probably not the only one. The number of entries thus far is more than minus-1 and less than 1. Point being, if you manage to get a photo with Bobby in public, I like your odds.
8) Me: "In my daughter's first few weeks, all she did was scream, go to the bathroom and sleep."
Bobby's girlfriend, to Bobby: "That sounds like you."
Posted by: littles | May 7, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Chest Rockwell | May 7, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: DCAustinite | May 7, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: JSF | May 7, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Dan Steinberg | May 7, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Kim | May 7, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: thebigc1982 | May 7, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: savannahfan | May 7, 2007 6:17 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: jgildea8 | May 7, 2007 6:33 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Susan Boswell | May 7, 2007 6:47 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Kim | May 7, 2007 6:56 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Grotus | May 8, 2007 8:18 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: DCFan | May 8, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: MM | May 8, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: fastacton | May 8, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Srdan La Barra | May 9, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: MattR | May 9, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: ouij | May 10, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.