Samir Patel Goes Down

The overwhelming favorite Samir Patel went down. He biffed on Clevis.

"I'm just angry at myself," he said repeatedly, while being mobbed by media members. "Because the first thought in my mind when I heard the word was 'clevis,' and I wanted to just say that out, but then I remembered my approach and I was cautious and I asked all the questions. And I guess I shouldn't have on this one because otherwise I would have got it right. I overthought it."

I asked him when he would get over the disappointment, and he said "right now."

He said a lot more, but my tape recorder ran out of batteries, as usually happens at these moments, especially since my next interview, during which my tape recorder appeared to be working, was with Stuart Scott, who launched into his extended thoughts about sports blogs, words that will be forever lost to history.

And now Samir Patel and family, who were extremely gracious a few minutes ago, are reportedly challenging the results.

I can tell you that Scott said interviewing Patel is quite similar to interviewing, say, Tim Duncan.

The word he missed was "raspberry." He left out the P. He had preceded this by correctly spelling February. He said he will never forget "raspberry."

As for his first kiss, it was sixth grade, and her initials were "A.V.," but he wouldn't tell me more. He said it was just a peck.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 31, 2007; 12:47 PM ET
Categories:  Weirdness
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Some Spelling Bee Controversy
Next: The Patel Drama Escalates

Comments

The natural question: What was the name of the first boy that Stuart Scott kissed?

Posted by: Kim | May 31, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Stu Scott's extended thoughts on sports blogs are lost in time? I'm distraught.

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | May 31, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Jamie,

I think I can sum up what Stu Scott said to Dan (based on what I've seen on ESPN).

Basically, imagine sports cliches, sportscenter catchphrases, followed up by a boo-yah.

Posted by: Kim | May 31, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Advice for Samir -- fail your final Exams (if you are still in school this year), thus repeating the 8th grade and ensuring another chance at the crown.

Posted by: ThinkAboutIt | May 31, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

On the plus side, the title of "Most Popular Indian in America" stays with American Idol's Sanjaya

Posted by: Little Girl That Cries At Idol Tapings | May 31, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

He was screwed! The rules are clear about what to do when words have multiple pronunciations; you give both right away! He was totally screwed and it taints the championship! I hope the winner realizes the best person did not win!

Posted by: Lo | June 1, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Two words come to mind regarding Samir's loss:

T-h-a-n-k G-o-d

Posted by: John From Fort Worth | June 1, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I love the spelling bee and I was truely pulling for samir...once he said V-I-C-E i crumbled to the ground

Posted by: blaine | June 1, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse

One of my spelling bee contacts, Amy Berning, told me about this blog. I am sad to say that this portion: Also, that he believes there are two things you never forget: the word you missed in the spelling bee, and the name of the first person you kissed, boy or girl.

'

IS LIBEL!!! Delete that portion of the blog or there will be serious consequences. If you have any questions, email me @ speller247@yahoo.com.

Samir Patel