This Morning in Bog: Clinton Takes it All Back

Clinton Portis actually doesn't like dogfighting. My bad. I misunderstood the part where he said "if that's what he wants to do, do it." The statement:

In the recent interview I gave concerning dogfighting, I want to make it clear I do not take part in dogfighting or condone dogfighting in any manner.

Meanwhile, a more extensive transcript of the interview causes the AP to completely rip Chris Samuels, but I still am not clear whether Samuels said anything wrong. His laughing at Portis was not a pleased laugh. I'd lay off the guy.

Are the Nationals home crowds "pathetic?" Did it really get that bad, that quick? (AP)

Two last-place teams fight it out to determine who was responsible for last night's Nats' loss/Reds' win. Jon Rauch and Nook Logan want responsibility. On the other side, Victor Santos gave 'em a chance and Javier Valentin is all clutch. So was Rauch badder than Valentin was good, or the reverse?

Who says we're ignoring this kid? Granted, this photo was online only. (By Manuel Balce Ceneta - AP)

Austin Kearns votes often for the Reds outfielders to make the all-star game. (Cincy Enquirer)

Brooks Robinson says he'd be flattered to be compared to Ryan Zimmerman. (Examiner)

Johnny Holiday apparently alternates between zero and four hours of sleep. Plus, he's almost 70? Crazy (Wash Times)

DeShawn Stevenson, Gilbert and Antonio Daniels would all emphatically take Kevin Durant over Greg Oden. (Wash Times)

Speaking of Gilbert, look at this assortment of photos of him with fans and try not to smile. (MC Bias)

Were the Orioles screwing around with the team initials during the Nats series? (The Fingerman)

The Washington Post and Washington Post Live did a thoroughly miserable job of covering the Backstrom signing, and all involved parties should be exiled to Siberia. Love you too, guys. (On Frozen Blog)

Levale Speigner's name produces many great anagrams, including my personal fave, "Lineage RSVP Eel." (Distinguished Senators, full list here)

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 22, 2007; 9:18 AM ET
Categories:  What You Need to Know
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Baysox Go After Another Record
Next: Wise Preakness Race Fans

Comments

I'd prefer that MASN sort out whatever causes the picture to momentarily freeze so often during the course of a game than being cute with the on screen graphics.

Posted by: Prophet | May 22, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Watching MASN is like watching a regional sports network from 15-20 years ago. Worst coverage anywhere.

Though handy if I ever need a second feed of ESPNews.

Posted by: Kim | May 22, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

MASN does very little right, but what do you expect from a Peter Angelo$ operation?

Posted by: WFY | May 22, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I saw the Nationals broadcast on channel 20 (WB, CW, whatever it is these days) on Friday and I saw O's and Nats, not O's and WSH. Maybe they decided to tweak it during the broadcast in order to give it a more rivalry-esque feel to it.

Posted by: Reader Glenn | May 22, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Jay Gibbons calling something other than himself "pathetic" - that's rich.

Attendance will be back up next season and if the Kasten plan even partially comes through, won't be a problem in the future. All the flack that RFK got in the first year or so really hurts this season - maybe as much as the stripped down team. Doesn't help when the reports on opening day focus on the ding-a-lings at Aramark, who didn't have enough hot dog buns.

The Orioles have "the best stadium in baseball" and draw 700 fans (reported) on average each night. I'd say they have a lot more to be worried about, with no boost in sight.

Posted by: Kev | May 22, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

many props to The Fingerman for noticing that. I'm an Orioles fan, and don't care for the Nationals that much, but that's definitely messed up that they put O's instead of Baltimore. Angelos is outta control.

Posted by: Ian | May 22, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Portis even knew of the word "condone" before he learned it from his lawyer?

Posted by: three3 | May 22, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse