Gilbert and his Bicycle

This story line will have to entertain us all summer, so I'm going to draw it out slowly, with the hopes that the end result is Gilbert, G-Man, the cast from "Three's Company" and I going for a bike ride along the Towpath. But anyhow, if you didn't pay attention last week, Reader Grant e-mailed me that he had spotted Gilbert riding his bike down Eye Street. Commenters then sprouted up, claiming to have seen Gilbert on his bike on K Street and at the Washington Monument, and some wise soul pointed us to the Washingtonian profile from last fall:

For exercise, Arenas and Wizards trainer Andrew Cleary ride bikes from DC's Verizon Center through Rock Creek Park to Chevy Chase and Silver Spring, then return down 16th Street. "Coming back through the city is the fun part," Arenas says. He wears a baseball cap, sunglasses, and earphones but is hardly incognito. People in cars spot him and honk. He often stops to sign autographs.

I mean, personally, I've never seen him, but I think we should track his movements, pinpointing his routes on a map, the whole deal.

I asked the Wizards for some details, and this is what they told me:

1) Gilbert rides his bike around town about three times a week.

2) The routes vary. Here are two favorites: Rock Cree Park, past National Airport to Mount Vernon, and Lower Georgetown, along the Potomac River.

3) The rides are typically 90 minutes.

4) Gilbert gets recognized at least 10 times per bike ride, with plenty of double-takes. Last Monday (Memorial Day), they biked through Rock Creek Park onto Constitution Avenue where the Memorial Day Parade took place. Gilbert stopped to pose for approximately 50 pictures.

Apropos of Gilbert and Drew Clearly and their Reliable Source sighting....Nomar and Luis Gonzalez hang out at Lucky Bar, of all places?

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 5, 2007; 1:24 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Manny Acta Gets Mad
Next: Paintball Pics

Comments

Uh, didn't he have surgery? Is that a form of rehab? What if he gets ran over by a car or falls and busts his head? Here is hoping he wears a helmet...Still cool nonetheless.

Posted by: Denesh | June 5, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Somebody please tell me that Queen's "Bicycle Race" is on his iPod playlist for his bike rides...

Posted by: AlecW81 | June 5, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

9 out 10 futbol fans agree ... lucky bar is the balls steinz

Posted by: littles | June 5, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

if only he was up at the Big Hunt, then i woulda had photos for you...yay Strongbow

Posted by: chimprage | June 5, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

if only they were up at the Big Hunt, then i woulda had photos for you...yay Strongbow

Posted by: chimprage | June 5, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

look at my gramatical corrections on the fly! weeeeeeee

Posted by: chimp | June 5, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

"Nomar and Luis Gonzalez hang out at Lucky Bar, of all places?"

Just not on draft day.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Why must our best player be such a weirdo??...I'm a Wizards fan but went to college at Arizona State and my theory is cuz he went to weak U of A.

Posted by: B-rad | June 6, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

in a slightly related nba sighting, i saw juwan howard get turned away from Fly in southern dupont a couple weeks ago. sorry bro, gotta have a lady with you...

Posted by: jackson | June 6, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

whats weird about riding a bike?

Posted by: d | June 6, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

rofl weak U of A. talk about the absolute worst basketball program the pac 10 has.. ASU. Anyone that goes to ASU automaticall loses his credibility

Posted by: asu sucks | June 6, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse