My Mock Draft, and Wizards Draft Trivia
Gracious there are a lot of mock drafts out there. All of them give someone else to the Wiz. D.C. Pro Sports Report gives you 11 choices for whom the Bullets will take tonight. The FreeDarko draft has several teams taking multiple players with the same pick. Plus, this same Shoals is quoted in the WaPo today, and not by a stinking blogger but by Sally Jenkins. Weird times.
Anyhow, to compete with the competition, I looked at 12 mock drafts, assumed Oden and Durant were 1-2, took the next most popular 13 names and the final most popular 15 names, wrote them on pieces of paper and threw them into two shoes (I couldn't find a hat), and then picked them out randomly, just to see whether the random hat picking might do better than the experts and non-experts. I'll judge the results by giving 3 points for a name selected in the right spot, and 1 point for a name selected in the wrong spot but by the right team, to help account for trades and all that. But first, some Wiz trivia, courtesy of the Wiz.
* The Wiz have never had the 16 pick in the draft.
* Here are the last 15 players drafted 16th overall: Rodney Carney, Joey Graham, Kirk Snyder, Troy Bell, Jiri Welsch, Kirk Haston, Hedo Turkoglu, Ron Artest, Bryce Drew, Brevin Knight, Tony Delk, Alan Henderson, Clifford Rozier, Rex Walters, Randy Woods.
* Only three players on last year's roster were actually drafted by the Wiz.
* I suppose I should have known that Antonio Daniels was picked fourth overall in 1997, but I'm not sure I did.
* Recent players selected 47th overall include Pape Sow, Ousman Cisse, Josip Sesar and Darren Morningstar. Non-funnily named selections include Jamal Sampson, Eric Washington and Jamie Watson. Awesome.
Ok, after the jump, my taken-from-a-shoe mock draft.
3. Nick Young (this was a great idea, huh?)
4. Corey Brewer
5. Al Horford
6. Javaris Crittenton
7. Joakim Noah
8. Jeff Green
9. Rodney Stuckey
10. Brandan Wright
11. Al Thornton
12. Yi Jianlian
13. Mike Conley Jr.
14. Spencer Hawes
15. Acie Law IV
You're going down Chad Ford!!!!!
16. Wizards: Thaddeus Young. Really, that's what the shoe said. Wild. By the way, he told me he was invited to the Green Room, but decided he'd rather stay home with family and friends and all that, because he hasn't seen them in two months. Remember, this is the guy who promised to live near the arena and ride a bike to work if he lands in D.C. Anyhow....
17. Julian Wright
18. Derrick Byars
19. Petteri Koponen
20. Wilson Chandler
21. Gabe Pruitt
22. Daequan Cook
23. Jared Dudley
24. Josh McRoberts
25. Sean Williams
26. Rudy Fernandez
27. Morris Almond
28. Jason Smith
29. Tiago Splitter
30. Marco Belinelli
June 28, 2007; 1:36 PM ET
Save & Share: Previous: Where to Watch the Draft, and Cricket, and Other Questions
Next: On Kevin Durant and the Bench Press
The comments to this entry are closed.